Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Aiming for the Moon (hopefully, I'll hit a star or two)

I (finally) got my Mock Results on Thursday (21st December 2017). Now I have Christmas break to wind down and prepare, and I'll begin my journey in January.

I have just submitted my application for my first choice college, whose entry requirements are

"For students who are anticipated to study an Advanced Level programme of 3/4 subjects or a hybrid Advanced Level and BTEC Level 3 Diploma course the requirements are:
  • > 6 GCSEs between 9 to 4 for including 2 of English, Maths or Science.
  • > 2 should be at least grade 6 "

I hope to take Maths, History, Computer Science and French at A-level (trying to keep my career options as open as possible), though I might change Computer Science to something else – I haven't fully decided.

My GCSE Mock Results as they stand are:
  • Art: 7**
  • Biology: 7
  • Chemistry: 9 (????)
  • English Language: 8
  • English Literature: 7
  • French*: 9
  • History: 6/7 (most likely a low seven, officially a six to encourage me to work harder)
  • Mathematics: 8
  • Music: 8
  • Physics: 7
  • Religious Studies: 8

Exam Boards:
Spoiler:
Show

Art: AQA
Biology: AQA
Chemistry: AQA
English Language: AQA
English Literature: AQA
French: EdExcel
History: AQA
Mathematics: AQA
Music: EdEcxel
Physics: AQA
RS: WJEC/Eduqas

*I'm taking French GCSE as an external student because I speak it fluently, so I don't have a teacher but I do have lots of support available.
**I'm really not the best at art and I kind of regret taking is as it so dynamic and so different to the other subjects I'm used to. I'm going to work at it, but I'm certainly not going to get a 9. Depending on my Spec (which I'll get in January), I might be able to push it to an 8 if I work really hard, but I honestly won't be disappointed with a 7.

If I had sat my real GCSEs and gotten those grades I would be as happy as a lark. But I have another 5 months and a bit to get stunning grades, and I hope to raise as many as a can by a grade or even two in the case of History.

I'm least in confident in my Sciences (I haven't a clue how I got a 9 in Chemistry) and in History. I know where my weak areas are in each, so I'll work to learn more content and perfect my exam technique in those subjects.

I'll be keeping updates on study methods that I'll try, progress, and tests I take.
Spoiler:
Show

I did absolutely NO revision whatsoever for mocks. Genuinely nothing. I wanted to get the lowest grades possible because I knew I'd have to put my results (or one higher) on my college application and I wanted to lower expectations. Naturally, I wasn't too pleased when I came out in the top 10% of my year group overall and I asked if I could lower my Chemistry grade by one and they said I wasn't allowed . The upside is that I've been given a serious confidence boost now so I'll make the most of it. I am determined to actually take my studies seriously from now on.

Thrillanthropist
Rep:
?
What I've done so far:

I saw my History teacher on Friday 22nd of December and we went through where I lost marks. I was doing about a mark below usual for most of the paper, dropping 6 or 7 marks in the first section and about 15 in the second section.

The second section was most problematic, and I need to work on applying my knowledge of the Korean and Vietnam Wars.

The worst question was q.21. where Ivgot 4 marks out of 16. This was the bulk of my lost marks in that section and if I'd gotten half marks or even three-quarters, I would comfortably be working at a 7/8 level.

The main problem was exam technique. I did attend 8 (out of 9) revision sessions which focused on exam technique, and I downloaded powerpoints on exam technique, but I never reviewed them. Those sessions will recommence in late January after my teacher finishes marking year 13 mocks.

Spoiler:
Show

I also have a "revision grid" on the Vietnam war to complete, which was due back in september. There are a variety of practise questions to do in it, but I never bothered doing more than content-filling and the my teacher never bothered collecting them in. I'll finish it off in january and hand it in when revision sessions are back on, but for now I have about 4 months' worth of history homework to catch up on, which I will do during these holidays.
Thrillanthropist
Rep:
?
First bump in the road: I don't have a desk in my room. All I have is the Dining Room Table, which is often quite messy because of my younger siblings, and revising downstairs is impossible due to the noise.

Solution: I don't know yet. My family can't afford a new desk anytime soon unless we can find one in the local charity shop or something. But I'm not too bothered because I've never had one, or any fancy pens or pads or revision stuff. I should be fine without one.
stqrlord
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Thrillanthropist)
First bump in the road: I don't have a desk in my room. All I have is the Dining Room Table, which is often quite messy because of my younger siblings, and revising downstairs is impossible due to the noise.

Solution: I don't know yet. My family can't afford a new desk anytime soon unless we can find one in the local charity shop or something. But I'm not too bothered because I've never had one, or any fancy pens or pads or revision stuff. I should be fine without one.
Same here. My solution was to revise at the school library until it closes and then go to a cafe or smth like that. I haven’t got my mock results back yet so I’ve got no clue how it worked out yet but I feel quite confident about most subjects.
Thrillanthropist
Rep:
?
Update: 4th January 2018

Happy New Year everyone! Obviously, with Christmas and New year, I haven't really been doing anything. However, school starts on Monday 8th Jan so I need to make sure I'm ready for this new term.

From hardest to easiest subject, here's what I need to do in the next 3 days:

>I have history homework form September to catch up on. Seriously.
Name:  Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 16.35.07.png
Views: 86
Size:  149.4 KB

>I also have a biology test on the first day back which I'm going to *actually* "revise" for

>And I have 2 English mock exams (Lit paper 2 and Lang paper 1)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (252)
57.01%
I don't have everything I need (190)
42.99%

Watched Threads