ellectron
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone, like the title says I would like to get an explanation how A-levels works.

I'm a Swedish student and although we can choose high school programmes (like my programme Natural Science) there are few(!! four actually) subjects/courses we can choose to take, and many compulsory that have nothing to do with our programme (for instance Social Science, History and Religion). I'm applying for UK universities and have come across A-levels requirements such as A*AA etc. Are you able to choose all your subjects?
Perfection Ace
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends on your educational institution whether they provide the subjects (such as Law or Computer Science). Most students start off with 4 subjects of their choice but can choose to drop a subject after the first year (of the two year course).
Ellasimpson_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes you usually choose either 3 or 4 a-levels that are completely your own choice, only depending on what your college offers. None are compulsory options like at GCSE
jsg9
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes you choose 3 or 4 subjects to A level, full name AGCE (Advanced General Certificate of Education), and they are graded A* to E (as well as a U which is an ungraded fail). Some universities use A level grades for their entry requirements e.g. A*AA like you’ve said, but some also use a tariff system, whereby a grade A will = a certain number of points, and universities will say you have to achieve a certain number of points (say 120) for admission onto your chosen degree programme. You are able to choose your 3 or 4 subjects out of a wide range, some schools/sixth forms offer more than others but as a private candidate there are a lot to choose from: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths, English Literature, English Language, Spanish, German, French, History, Geography, Religious Studies, Economics etc.

There are different exam boards in the U.K.: Pearson Edexcel, OCR, AQA and perhaps some others. It doesn’t really matter which exam board you choose to take the exam with, they all count for an A level and they test similar stuff, but here you will find exam board specific resources. For example, if you were taking AQA Biology, you wouldn’t want to learn the whole specification for OCR Biology, it would be more useful to learn the course content for AQA.

The A level courses are 2 years, and now most A levels have exams only at the end of the 2 year course, for example, the A level Chemistry (OCR A) has 3 exams at the end of the 2 year course, and those exams make up your total grade for the A level.
MKaur18
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ellectron)
Hi everyone, like the title says I would like to get an explanation how A-levels works.

I'm a Swedish student and although we can choose high school programmes (like my programme Natural Science) there are few(!! four actually) subjects/courses we can choose to take, and many compulsory that have nothing to do with our programme (for instance Social Science, History and Religion). I'm applying for UK universities and have come across A-levels requirements such as A*AA etc. Are you able to choose all your subjects?
Usually a 2 year course where people choose 3 subjects. People then choose to go to uni, or jobs/apprentiships afterwards. Yes, you can choose your subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (20)
9.13%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (132)
60.27%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
13.7%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (32)
14.61%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.28%

Watched Threads