Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can anyone give me their opinion/details of their experience of Lancaster uni or anything they have heard about the uni?
    Is the teaching good, are the students nice, did you have a good time, do you regret choosing Lancaster, etc, etc?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Can anyone give me their opinion/details of their experience of Lancaster uni or anything they have heard about the uni?
    Is the teaching good, are the students nice, did you have a good time, do you regret choosing Lancaster, etc, etc?
    This has been moved to Lancaster Univeristy.

ReputationRep:
    I think the teaching is good, all the people are lovely, I'm having a good time and I don't regret it.

ReputationRep:
    The teaching is good on the whole but it depends on your department. I would say the people are nice but choose your college wisely and actually research them before applying... i didn't do that! I don't particularly like Lancaster as a place and i do regret going to a uni with such an isolated campus, but that is a personal opinion. I know lots of people who love the campus and how small and friendly it is. Any specific questions don't hesitate to ask- I am a third year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gatorinlancs)
    The teaching is good on the whole but it depends on your department. I would say the people are nice but choose your college wisely and actually research them before applying... i didn't do that! I don't particularly like Lancaster as a place and i do regret going to a uni with such an isolated campus, but that is a personal opinion. I know lots of people who love the campus and how small and friendly it is. Any specific questions don't hesitate to ask- I am a third year
    Hi! So I would be looking to go for 2018 entry, but I'm really unsure as I hear there aren't very good travel links? As in, you're not able to get back to campus after a certain time at night - so travelling to Manchester for concerts would not be possible. And it's difficult to get to and from campus from/to town because of bad traffic?

Also, because it is a collegiate system, I hear the people can get super competitive and rowdy when supporting their college. I'm really not a competitive person like that, and I really don't like the idea of having to take part in college competitions or whatever, because I'm not that much of a community-social-buddy-buddy person! Is there a lot of pressure to have excessive amounts of college spirit and be an active part of the college?

I really don't want to make the wrong decision...Leeds is my favourite place but unfortunately I'm unlikely to be going there. I just figure I only have one chance to be an undergraduate - do I really want to spend it in a place I'm not keen on?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betsy_2018)
    Hi! So I would be looking to go for 2018 entry, but I'm really unsure as I hear there aren't very good travel links? As in, you're not able to get back to campus after a certain time at night - so travelling to Manchester for concerts would not be possible. And it's difficult to get to and from campus from/to town because of bad traffic?

Also, because it is a collegiate system, I hear the people can get super competitive and rowdy when supporting their college. I'm really not a competitive person like that, and I really don't like the idea of having to take part in college competitions or whatever, because I'm not that much of a community-social-buddy-buddy person! Is there a lot of pressure to have excessive amounts of college spirit and be an active part of the college?
    What you have heard about the transport links is pretty accurate- you couldn't go to Manchester for a concert and expect to get a train and bus back to campus on the same night. The bus to town is also long and expensive and there is lots of traffic. You end up spending a lot of time on campus and it can feel quite isolated... the campus "bubble" is real.

As for the collegiate system- don't worry about that. You can have as much or as little interest in activities and sporting events at your college as you want. Its a nice community feel and the sporting events are quite fun but now I am third year I have very little involvement in my college and that is fine.

I would say go to a place you want to live in or you will have a rough 3 years. I only went to Lancaster because they did a good study abroad programme so I have only ended up being here 2 years (not 3)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gatorinlancs)
    What would you say are the best colleges to be in and why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goeke)
    What would you say are the best colleges to be in and why?
    It depends what you are into! If you are a bit of a party animal go with Lonsdale (my college). If you are sporty Fylde is good and they have a sports bar. Grizedale has really nice accommodation and their bar is lovely so that is probably one of the most popular colleges. Furness and Cartmel are definitely the more sensible and quiet colleges. Bowland, Pendle and County are a bit meh and I have very little opinion on them. Just look at which type of accommodation you want and which colleges have that and go from there. If you don't want to walk far to lectures go with Fylde, Furness or Bowland
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Betsy_2018)
    You can get a national express from the coach station in the centre of Manchester. It leaves late enough that you'll definitely be able to see the end of whatever concerts you go to, but you'll get back to Lancaster at about 2:45 am. I think some of the Nat Exps go through campus, too. It's certainly doable and not too expensive. As for other travel links, there are night buses to campus (not that it's difficult to walk) and direct trains to Manchester, Glasgow, Edinburgh, London, Birmingham, Leeds (although not that often) and Liverpool is one change away. That's better than most towns.
    Basically nobody cares about what college you're in after freshers week. Most people make their friends through societies and their course. I was in Grizedale for three years and the only college events I took part in were during freshers week and my graduation ceremony (I didn't go to the college event after the ceremony).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.