English A-1 HL Test..your thoughts?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Brandon Kraft
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hey everyone, I took the English HL Paper 1 this morning. While I thought both the prose and the
poem were nice pieces, I went after the prose. :-) Fun stuff let me tell ya...lol What did all
of you try?

Brandon
Graeme
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I chose the Prose; i am glad it is over Graeme "Brandon Kraft" <[email protected] t>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Hey everyone, I took the English HL Paper 1 this morning. While I thought both the prose and the[/q1]
[q1]> poem were nice pieces, I went after the prose. :-) Fun stuff let me tell ya...lol What did all of[/q1]
[q1]> you try?[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Brandon[/q1]
Brandon Kraft
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
If anyone know where I can find the rest of the prose piece, the short story "Corkscrew" by Hammett,
please let me know. I want to read it all now. Next week is going to be real fun... testing of some
sort (AP and/or IB) everyday but Thursday. Oh yes...great great fun.

Brandon

"Graeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I chose the Prose; i am glad it is over Graeme "Brandon Kraft" <[email protected] t>[/q1]
[q1]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...[/q1]
[q2]> > Hey everyone, I took the English HL Paper 1 this morning. While I thought both the prose and the[/q2]
[q2]> > poem were nice pieces, I went after the prose. :-) Fun[/q2]
stuff
[q2]> > let me tell ya...lol What did all of you try?[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Brandon[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
Peacelvevb
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I chose the poem. I looked at both and couldn't find anything to write about in either, but I know
that I always do better writing about poetry than prose, so I chose the poem. Everybody in my class
did too, except for 1 person.

I can't even remember what I wrote about now. I know that I went into structure and personification,
and then went into the symbolic, metaphoric, and universal levels. I had a hard time at first and
was basically pulling stuff out of my ass, but once I got writing I kept finding more things to
write about. I've struggled with commentary writing all year, so I was really nervous... but when I
told my teacher what I wrote about, she said she was certain I could get a 6, a 5 at the very very
least (she really liked my world lit papers and thinks they're both 6's too). Now, if I can just
make it through the essay part next week!

What tests are you guys taking this week? I'm taking Math Studies SL Tuesday and Wednesday, then Bio
HL on Thursday and Friday.

Good luck! Meagan
Brandon Kraft
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Really? Interesting, most of the people in my class went prose even though we did more poetry in
class. (I would say a 70:30 proseoetry ratio). From poetry end, I think people in my class went
talking about her journey and how the poet represents a mother and daughter or how the poem
represents a book trying to be published. A handful of things I didn't see when I read the poem.

For the prose, I wrote about bias and how the author gave clear bias to the speaker who in turns
affects the bias of the reader. I supported that through Hammett's diction, imagery and motif (For
motif, I noted that it was not an "American West" story since the automobile was invented after the
standard timeframe of an "American West" story; however, it was close enough to that motif to affect
the reader's perceptions of the town and the town's people). In short, a lot of BS. Now just waiting
for July 6th at 17:00 GMT! (I think it's the 6th...lol...whenever we get our scores online).

English Lit AP, Math HL IB, US History AP this week; Paper 2 of English HL, History (Americas) HL
the following week.

Brandon

"PeaceLveVB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> I chose the poem. I looked at both and couldn't find anything to write[/q1]
about in
[q1]> either, but I know that I always do better writing about poetry than[/q1]
prose, so
[q1]> I chose the poem. Everybody in my class did too, except for 1 person.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I can't even remember what I wrote about now. I know that I went into[/q1]
structure
[q1]> and personification, and then went into the symbolic, metaphoric, and[/q1]
universal
[q1]> levels. I had a hard time at first and was basically pulling stuff out of[/q1]
my
[q1]> ass, but once I got writing I kept finding more things to write about.[/q1]
I've
[q1]> struggled with commentary writing all year, so I was really nervous... but[/q1]
when
[q1]> I told my teacher what I wrote about, she said she was certain I could get[/q1]
a 6,
[q1]> a 5 at the very very least (she really liked my world lit papers and[/q1]
thinks
[q1]> they're both 6's too). Now, if I can just make it through the essay part[/q1]
next
[q1]> week![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> What tests are you guys taking this week? I'm taking Math Studies SL[/q1]
Tuesday
[q1]> and Wednesday, then Bio HL on Thursday and Friday.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Good luck! Meagan[/q1]
Vimes
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Meagan, my situation is exactly like yours. Pretty much everyone in my class chose poetry, too--our teacher is an examiner and said that people who do poetry generally do better than those who chose prose, since it's easier to be complete when analyzing a poem. I never know, though, but I think I may have pulled off a 6.
Venus
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Meagan, my situation is exactly like yours. Pretty much everyone in my class chose poetry, too--our
teacher is an examiner and said that people who do poetry generally do better than those who chose
prose, since it's easier to be complete when analyzing a poem. I never know, though, but I think I
may have pulled off a 6.
kenvelshi
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
i did poetry because i'm just so much better at poetry than prose (plus the poem was way easier than expected). Most people in my school did poetry as well.

I wasn't expecting the poem to be that old. For the past couple of years, the poems have been pretty modern and they now decide to throw us something from the 17th century. Regardless, it was a pretty easy poem and nobody in my class found it too difficult.

paper 2 should be harder though unforttunately
Robbo
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
You shouldn't complain about doing 3 exams in the one day. I had HL German and SL History (all 4
papers) in the one day (and it was my first day of exams too!). One guy had to do 6 exams in a day,
and 9 in 2 days, because two of his subjects clashed. That is a lot of exams.
Venus
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Robbo <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<B9015D3D.3795%[email protected] .com>...
[q1]> You shouldn't complain about doing 3 exams in the one day. I had HL German and SL History (all 4[/q1]
[q1]> papers) in the one day (and it was my first day of exams too!). One guy had to do 6 exams in a[/q1]
[q1]> day, and 9 in 2 days, because two of his subjects clashed. That is a lot of exams.[/q1]

Sweetie, I reserve the right to complain about whatever the hell I want.

I thought SL History was only two papers--Paper 1 (document analyses) and Paper 2 (2 20th-century
history essays), though. HL is only three papers, it would make no sense for SL to be four. How can
someone do 9 exams in two days? I thought they were divided into morning and afternoon exams, thus
limiting the number of exams to two per day...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (162)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (170)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (100)
9.62%
Isolating with family (71)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.65%
Loneliness (103)
9.9%
Financial worries (46)
4.42%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.65%

Watched Threads