The Student Room Group

Renewable energy engineering

I'm interested in Studying renewable energy engineering, however, I've noticed there's not many degrees for it. So I was wondering if I could do a different degree and then branch off? If yes, what degree should I choose?
Reply 1
I'm also looking at renewable energy degrees, so I'll follow this thread
I know Exeter (UK) and Tufts (USA) offer them, if that's any help
Original post by larixcalibur
I'm interested in Studying renewable energy engineering, however, I've noticed there's not many degrees for it. So I was wondering if I could do a different degree and then branch off? If yes, what degree should I choose?

What bits of the renewable energy industry do you want to get involved with, and what kind of engineering do you want to do? Renewable energy employs engineers from all of the four main disciplines (electrical, mechanical, civil and chemical) so one of those would be the a suitable option.
Original post by Smack
What bits of the renewable energy industry do you want to get involved with, and what kind of engineering do you want to do? Renewable energy employs engineers from all of the four main disciplines (electrical, mechanical, civil and chemical) so one of those would be the a suitable option.

I'm not sure what industry I want to get involved in. I think I'd find wind and tidal most interesting. however, I'm doing maths, geography and physics for Alevel and I'm not sure wether I should do mechanical or electrical. I was planning on doing a degree in environmental science but I'm guessing that wouldn't give me a job in renewable energy engineering?

Also, thank you so much for your reply because now I have a place to start from :')
(edited 6 years ago)
I'm not sure what industry I want to get involved in. I think I'd find wind and tidal most interesting. however, I'm doing maths, geography and physics for Alevel and I'm not sure wether I should do mechanical or electrical. I was planning on doing a degree in environmental science but I'm guessing that wouldn't give me a job in renewable energy engineering?

Also, thank you so much for your reply because now I have a place to start from :':wink:

Do a BEng in one of Mechanical/Marine/Environmental Engineering then this course (MSc in Renewable Energy Engineering):

https://www.abdn.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-taught/degree-programmes/278/renewable-energy-engineering/

Also, thank you so much for your reply because now I have a place to start from :':wink:

If you're interested in tidal or other forms of offshore/marine renewables (which at this moment is, as far as I am aware, principally offshore wind) then civil & structural or electrical engineering would possibly be your best bets, depending on what you were more interested in. (Mechanical too, to perhaps a lesser extent.) A lot of companies involved in this area aren't purely renewables companies, and are involved with other things too, e.g. civil/infrastructure engineering contractors, offshore oil & gas contractors, etc.

You might find this Reddit AMA useful (so might @trapking):

https://www.reddit.com/r/engineering/comments/66yqu7/i_am_a_engineer_in_the_offshore_wind_industry_ama/

Quick Reply

Latest