how do i start a introduction for my Law essay

Watch this thread
heba98
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
hi, i have a essay that due in 2 weeks, this essay has a word limit of 1500.
they gave us a scenario which we need to answer in our essay. I've been struggling with starting my essay I know what I need to write when it comes to stating law and applying but for some reason im finding it had to start or write an intro. also I really don't understand the concept of footnoting, do i write down all the cases and places that I got research from etc?

can someone please help as it has been stressing me like MADDD ((((

thankyouuuuuu
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Is it a problem question, since you mentioned a scenario? Surely your university would have provided guidance on answering PQs and how to structure the response. Your university should have provided you with information on which referencing system to use too.
heba98
Rep:
yes it is an problem question, they have provided some brief guidance however its very confusing and we're using the OSCOLA referencing system.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
PQs are mathematical. Skip the intro and fluff.

Say what area of law that you are dealing with in a particular section. Say what the authorities are and what the law is; and how they apply to the case at hand.
_Fergo
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by heba98)
hi, i have a essay that due in 2 weeks, this essay has a word limit of 1500.
they gave us a scenario which we need to answer in our essay. I've been struggling with starting my essay I know what I need to write when it comes to stating law and applying but for some reason im finding it had to start or write an intro. also I really don't understand the concept of footnoting, do i write down all the cases and places that I got research from etc?

can someone please help as it has been stressing me like MADDD ((((

thankyouuuuuu
So, is it actually a PQ or a scenario based essay?

If the former, I would not recommend skipping the intro, but rather make it short and focused only on the facts and people involved. That is, mention who the parties are, what they want and how you'll structure the answer very, very briefly.

With regards to referencing, it depends on which citation system your school follows. If it's OSCOLA (which I guess it is by your mentioning of footnotes) then yes, you should cite every single thing that you've taken from another source, including cases, legislation, books, journals and whatnot.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by heba98)
yes it is an problem question, they have provided some brief guidance however its very confusing and we're using the OSCOLA referencing system.
Adding onto the post above-- it is worth reading through the official OSCOLA referencing guide. I wouldn't stress too much about the intro for PQs. Keep it short and to the point.
heba98
Rep:
Thankyou guysss!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (31)
27.43%
Take a gap year (17)
15.04%
Resit my exams (31)
27.43%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (17)
15.04%
I don't know yet (12)
10.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
4.42%

Watched Threads