The Student Room Group

Can't understand this (uni offer)

Scroll to see replies

I have no idea why she was rejected because she is clearly very bright but I have a genuine question; Does she ever sleep?!
Original post by Unknown-99
I have no idea why she was rejected because she is clearly very bright but I have a genuine question; Does she ever sleep?!

The lady who started this thread has not been online for days and nearly all of our hopefully helpful comments have not been read in spite of a personal message of encouragement so I fear that our efforts are in vain.
Reply 62
Original post by Kyber Ninja

Maybe Durham weights GCSEs more heavily than other places would be my thought.

Durham definitely does. I was so surprised to be given an offer as my GCSE's weren't anywhere near as good as their usual student. I sat in on a chemistry talk on an open day and they showed a graph with the amount of A*s a student obtaining an offer achieved, and the average was about 7. I achieved 3, and the statistic was very low for % of offers with 3 A*s, although I achieved 8As too.
Original post by baznoy
Durham definitely does. I was so surprised to be given an offer as my GCSE's weren't anywhere near as good as their usual student. I sat in on a chemistry talk on an open day and they showed a graph with the amount of A*s a student obtaining an offer achieved, and the average was about 7. I achieved 3, and the statistic was very low for % of offers with 3 A*s, although I achieved 8As too.

That's suprising; OP could've used you earlier :biggrin:

The average Oxford physics student has 7A*, though this stat was from 2011, it's probably 8, but still - quite high.
Original post by doodle2
My poor daughter applied to Durham for Engineering, and has her heart set on it.

She has 14 GCSEs (8 at A/A*), holds one of the most prestigious scholarhips for 6th formers in Engineering (Arkwright Scholarship), was the first girl in 8 years to be awarded the Hugh Potter shield in Engineering, beat 2000 other students in a separate wiring challenge and won.

The last 3 summers she's either done work experience in Avionics, or has been at Uni Summer school doing either Inspire or Headstart courses in Engineering (both of which are difficult to get into, and this year she was also subsidised by a separate scholarship one in civil engineering, one in aeronautcial engineering)

She's taken 4 A levels (maths, further Maths, Physics and Chem) with predicted grades of A*AAA

She was made deputy head girl at her current school (which is a 'world class' state school, and the highest performing state school in the entire region), has set up and run two sucessful businesses whilst at school) and is one of 12 young people recognised as future leaders in industry in our county.

She was a founder member of the young engineers club at her current school, and has won the highest award in her school twice.

Outside of school she's taken both both Bronze and Silver CREST awards (highly recognised science awards) and help set up the silver award scheme in her current school.

She also volunteers for St John Ambulance, and ran the cadet section for 5 months, has done her D of E and National Citizen Service.

So, obviously she has a clear talent and commitment to her chosen discipline

She hasn't even made the first cut and was an immediate rejection.

School gave her an excellent reference

I honestly don't know what else she could have done.

It's made me question the whole process to be honest. Thoughts anyone please?

Maybe Durham wasn’t meant for her .... she’s really good and most of us would dream of having all the experience she has .
Am sure other better unis will take her .
Why not try Cambridge
Reply 65
Sorry just coming back on, haven't been online for days due to Christmas/family holidays etc, and in any event there wasn't much else to say until we heard back from Durham - the response we got is bascially her predicted grades aren't high enough compared to other students with similar contextual data so that's the answer
Reply 66
Original post by PQ
Given that 75% of applicants to Durham engineering get an offer (https://university.which.co.uk/durham-university-d86/general-engineering-4-years-9250-h100 ) this definitely sounds iffy.

I would suggest contacting ucas to get a full copy of her application (just in case something in her reference is wrong or if she somehow entered her qualifications incorrectly). Ucas are open over Christmas apart from weekends/bank holidays.

Was the rejection by email or on ucas Track? If it wasn’t on Track then I would double check that the email is genuine and not a prank. If it’s on Track then check whether the supplied a basic rejection reason. If not then google for their admissions policy which should explain the process for getting more detailed feedback and also the complaints and appeals process.

I'm not sure that stat is right. They had over 1000 applications for 150 places
Reply 67
Original post by Unknown-99

To be fair she's always been an early riser lol
Reply 68
Original post by Muttley79
Loughborough offers a better Engineering course than Durham - perhaps she will actually benefit.

I wonderif her PS was focused on what she has done rather than skills she's acquired and passion for Engineering?

No, she was quite careful to match experience with skills and talk about her passion.
Reply 69
Original post by Madeleine1957
I wonder that too. Did she receive good guidance on the content of her personal statement? Did she know not to repeat achievements and attainments that would be already included in her reference? Did she use her very limited space to the best effect or perhaps include all that extra stuff you have told us about? Did she write it and did someone who knows what they are doing check it? This situation is very hard for you to bear. Just don't give up until you have exhausted all possibilities.

yes, nothing was repeated that was covered elsewhere & the whole thing was checked by 3 different tutors at school, so I think it was reasonably done
Reply 70
Original post by doodle2
I'm not sure that stat is right. They had over 1000 applications for 150 places

There's a big difference between an offer and a place. Applicants have 5 choices and Durham know that anyone applying there will also be applying to other "good" universities.

Roughly, 20% of those 1000 would firm Durham.

Many will, for example, also be applying to Oxbridge or Imperial which are very likely to be Firmed ahead of Durham. And Bristol and others would give Durham a good run for Engineering.

So they significantly over offer for the places available.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by doodle2
Sorry just coming back on, haven't been online for days due to Christmas/family holidays etc, and in any event there wasn't much else to say until we heard back from Durham - the response we got is bascially her predicted grades aren't high enough compared to other students with similar contextual data so that's the answer

I am glad you have an answer even though it is not the one you wanted. It is easier to live with than the frustration of wondering why it all hasn't happened. Applying with grades already achieved in another year is still an option but I hope that you will manage to look positively upon another offer and that it will all work out well for you and your daughter who has so much get up and go by the sounds of things that she has a huge chance of being happy and successful in a range of unis. I wish you luck!!
Reply 72
Original post by nulli tertius
I think she has been used by her school.

14 GCSEs is an excessive number that should really only be taken by someone who is going to nail A/A* in all of them, Anyone getting Bs should be sitting a smaller number of exams.

4 A levels is appropriate for a school offering further maths. It would also look very odd for someone reading engineering at a good university not to take further maths if it was available. Over 16,000 pupils did further maths A level in 2017. Over 4850 got A*. As schools generally over-predict grades, there are probably nearer to 6000 students with a prediction of A*, which your daughter didn't have.

Your daughter has clearly been distracted, and it looks as though she was encouraged to be distracted, from the key academic achievement of getting the best A level grades possible. Her school looks as though it was chasing press coverage for this award and that award. I wonder if they would have kept her more focused if she had applied to Oxbridge?

In relation to the Arkwright Scholarships "A record 1,594 students applied for an Arkwright Engineering Scholarship in 2017, with a record 425 Scholarships awarded."

I couldn't find any statistics for the Crest Silver Award but at this state school, it appears to have been what the "also rans" received. http://www.ogdentrust.com/about-us/news/post/1382-going-for-gold

I agree she could have been distracted.

However, at her school Gold Crest awards weren't being run. They didn't even used to offer silver - they only ran silver at all because her and two of her friends asked for it and they were the first students to achieve it in her school

you may well be right about the 14 GCSEs. If she'd only been put in for 8 and they all came back A/A* it may well be better

Mind you I only ever got 5 myself, none of which were as high as an A so it all looks good to me lol
(edited 6 years ago)
I’m not too sure about Durham, but most unis pay a lot or most of the attention to personal statements. They’re not looking for things you did under some sort of list but the things you learnt from them, the reason why you’re passionate about the subject, your personality, etc. In my school the advice is that students should get their personal statement read by people who can advise them and redrafted multiple times. I guess that’s probably what it is, as she seems like a great applicant under every other aspect.
Reply 74
Original post by ggaaiiaa
I’m not too sure about Durham, but most unis pay a lot or most of the attention to personal statements. They’re not looking for things you did under some sort of list but the things you learnt from them, the reason why you’re passionate about the subject, your personality, etc. In my school the advice is that students should get their personal statement read by people who can advise them and redrafted multiple times. I guess that’s probably what it is, as she seems like a great applicant under every other aspect.

She didn't write a list, she was careful to match what she'd done with what she'd learnt and how it furthered her interest in engineering.

She did re-draft it multiple times and it was checked by 3 different tutors at school so I think she was probably given the same advice as you.

Durham have also confirmed that her grades weren't high enough
Reply 75
Original post by RogerOxon
Is she not happy with at least one of her remaining choices? If not, I'd bee looking at adjustment / clearing, but more probably a gap year, and including Oxbridge next time. What didn't she like about Oxbridge?

No clearing places at Durham Uni have come up for several years for General Engineering

She did a maths course at Oxford last year and just decided it wasn't for her.

She pursued Cambridge a bit more (went to some of the Robogals events there, had her Arkwright Scholarship interview there, went to open days etc)

She said it felt too chaotic, felt they were trading on their reputation (her words, not mine!) had concerns about the moving of the Engineering department which would happen whilst she was there and thought it could detract from the experience.

She also thought the STEPS process would be a distraction from getting on with her mocks, and as she wasn't that keen on going in the first place decided to put her focus elsewhere.

If I was bright enough to even have considered going myself, I might have looked on it differently if it were me - but it was her decision and her choice and she made the decision not to pursue it.
Reply 76
Original post by doodle2
I agree she could have been distracted.

However, at her school Gold Crest awards weren't being run. They didn't even used to offer silver - they only ran silver at all because her and two of her friends asked for it and they were the first students to achieve it in her school

you may well be right about the 14 GCSEs. If she'd only been put in for 8 and they all came back A/A* it may well be better

Mind you I only ever got 5 myself, none of which were as high as an A so it all looks good to me lol
Original post by doodle2
No, she was quite careful to match experience with skills and talk about her passion.

There must have been something off putting about it - from what you've said it doesn't sound good. Not all teachers know what unis want for Engineering.

She's had a lucky escape anyway!
Reply 78
Original post by doodle2
No clearing places at Durham Uni have come up for several years for General Engineering

She did a maths course at Oxford last year and just decided it wasn't for her.

She pursued Cambridge a bit more (went to some of the Robogals events there, had her Arkwright Scholarship interview there, went to open days etc)

She said it felt too chaotic, felt they were trading on their reputation (her words, not mine!) had concerns about the moving of the Engineering department which would happen whilst she was there and thought it could detract from the experience.

She also thought the STEPS process would be a distraction from getting on with her mocks, and as she wasn't that keen on going in the first place decided to put her focus elsewhere.

If I was bright enough to even have considered going myself, I might have looked on it differently if it were me - but it was her decision and her choice and she made the decision not to pursue it.

STEP is not needed for engineering at Cambridge. It's only asked for by 2 out of 29 colleges.

My son hasn't found the course at all chaotic. He's in Y2, and enjoying it.

If she gets A*A*A+ perhaps she might consider it. Although Loughborough and her other choices are very good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by doodle2
She didn't write a list, she was careful to match what she'd done with what she'd learnt and how it furthered her interest in engineering.

She did re-draft it multiple times and it was checked by 3 different tutors at school so I think she was probably given the same advice as you.

Durham have also confirmed that her grades weren't high enough

Sorry to hear about the rejection, your daughter will be fine though. She has made some good choices re other universities and I am sure she will receive offers. The MOST important thing is to concentrate upon her exams and nail those grades! The UCAS application can be a bit of a minefield, she will come out of it a lot wiser.

I am in my 2nd year and one thing I am learning, it is a tough and competitive world out there! I too have super curriculars in engineering I can mention, 4 A* at A level and an overall 1st class from year one with a certificate to prove it. I am finding it incredibly difficult to find a summer placement for next year and keep being turned down. I have learned to deal with rejection, it is hard the first time I do understand!

Onwards and upwards, good luck to her in her A levels ( that's the job in hand) 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending