Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Year 11 chemistry student preparing for the Chemistry IGCSE and, quite frankly, I'm worried.
    As you may know, there are many reactions that have to be learnt, as well as many conditions and catalysts that accompany each reaction that have to be learnt as well. I'm not very good at learning things by heart, so I'm finding this quite difficult.

Are thrre any other chemistry students around who have some tips on how to get your head round chemistry and/or learning things by heart in general? Any tips or tricks are very much appreciated!

Thanks 😃

ReputationRep:
    I did my GCSEs this year. I can't give you much specific help at the moment, but try to find patterns and think about it logically. So, rather than learning all the alkali metals' reactions with water, just learn one. What helped for me was to write them out as much as possible, so you have the image stuck in your head. Also, by writing them out, you will be able to find your own patterns to help you remember. Don't forget to cross check with your notes once in a while so you're not learning patterns for incorrect reactions!

And by patterns, you may have to search deep. I remember making some based on the number of syllables, the values of the numbers, even by making up little stories.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by PepperPeppermint)
    I'm a Year 11 chemistry student preparing for the Chemistry IGCSE and, quite frankly, I'm worried.
    As you may know, there are many reactions that have to be learnt, as well as many conditions and catalysts that accompany each reaction that have to be learnt as well. I'm not very good at learning things by heart, so I'm finding this quite difficult.

Are thrre any other chemistry students around who have some tips on how to get your head round chemistry and/or learning things by heart in general? Any tips or tricks are very much appreciated!

Thanks 😃
    Rather than memorising (which I can't do) I tried to learn why these reactions happened in a certain way. It was more advanced than GCSE level but once I had a grasp of why these products and catalysts were present, it made a bit more sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, good tip; in fact that's how I managed to remember the reactions of acids back in year 9!

I can't, however, seem to find a pattern where catalysts and conditions for specific reactions are involved. Any tips for getting one's head round those, please?

Thank you for your tips, very much appreciated! 🙂

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 28, 2017

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.