The Student Room Group

What justification is there for the US having such an absurdly high military budget?

597 billion USD? When considering Nasa has a budget of $18.4 billion?

Scroll to see replies

they will be spending a large portion of it on North Korea shortly.
Original post by the bear
they will be spending a large portion of it on North Korea shortly.

F*** North Korea, they don't warrant such a high military budget, they are grossly overhyped and have relatively meagre power in comparison to the media hype surrounding them. I mean if them spending an average of $3.5 billion annually on military expenditures between 2004 and 2014 requires them starving their people, how powerful can they really be?
Reply 3
**** measuring contest and continuing to try act as the world police.

also, imagine how many people would lose jobs if they halved that.
Original post by Yaboi
**** measuring contest and continuing to try act as the world police.

also, imagine how many people would lose jobs if they halved that.

Or imagine how many jobs would be gained, if they spent that money on something more worthwhile, such as helping startup businesses.
Original post by ParkHyungSuk

1. Superpower with extensive overseas interests and commitments.
2. Very expensive high tech equipment.
3. Expensive wage bill.
4. Rich country.
5. Large country.

Others spend more as a % of GDP.
Or imagine how many jobs would be gained, if they spent that money on something more worthwhile, such as helping startup businesses.

Maybe a significant part of the US economy is based around the arms industry?

Maybe to ensure that international trad and American interests are kept going it uses its armed forces to do so?
Reply 7

Yeh, that carries no risk of failure.
Original post by 999tigger
1. Superpower with extensive overseas interests and commitments.
2. Very expensive high tech equipment.
3. Expensive wage bill.
4. Rich country.
5. Large country.

Others spend more as a % of GDP.

The No. 2 military spender in the world, China, spends about $140 billion a year on its military--less than a quarter as much. Importantly, however, these other countries are small countries with small economies. No other developed or big country comes close to the US in military spending, even as a percent of GDP. The US would benefit from a gradual shift in Military spending to domestic infrastructure.
The No. 2 military spender in the world, China, spends about $140 billion a year on its military--less than a quarter as much. Importantly, however, these other countries are small countries with small economies. No other developed or big country comes close to the US in military spending, even as a percent of GDP. The US would benefit from a gradual shift in Military spending to domestic infrastructure.

If you'd bothered to read what I just wrote then you would understand why.

Because it costs money to invade and steal oil from other countries...
to protect them against the terrorist countries :wink:
US is huge
Is actively involved in a lot of war
And greatly contribute to the UN.
Even I think they spend too much, however if they didn't spended so much,other country within the UN will probably have to spend more, so I don't condemned it
Because who actually likes the U.S??
Well you need to take into consideration that the US only spends 3.5% of it's GDP on the military, while countries such as Israel, Russia, and Saudi Arabia spend a much higher percentage. Countries such as France and the United Kingdom spend about 2.2% of their GDP on defense, so it's not as high as you would think. There is actually a lot of research showing that the military in the US is underfunded as old planes and tanks are still in use because there isn't enough money to replace them, and the fact that the US has to protect the entirety of Europe and it's other allies practically by itself cos their armies are nothing compared to threats such as Russia or China means that inherently the US will have to spend more.
Original post by tinycharlie
Well you need to take into consideration that the US only spends 3.5% of it's GDP on the military, while countries such as Israel, Russia, and Saudi Arabia spend a much higher percentage. Countries such as France and the United Kingdom spend about 2.2% of their GDP on defense, so it's not as high as you would think. There is actually a lot of research showing that the military in the US is underfunded as old planes and tanks are still in use because there isn't enough money to replace them, and the fact that the US has to protect the entirety of Europe and it's other allies practically by itself cos their armies are nothing compared to threats such as Russia or China means that inherently the US will have to spend more.

I already talked about that.
Reply 16

Politicians are keen to spend on the military as it creates jobs in the USA. Every congressman has a military project/base/factory to boast about.

The government therefore use the military as a way to get votes in Congress. Congressmen often vote after what their donors say, unless the government can outbid them, and a military base or factory in their state or constituency beats everything.

Not a single state without a base. There are FIVE air force bases in Florida alone. Obviously, in order to satisfy everybody, the government has to spend a lot.

You can add to this the formidable lobbying power of the military-industrial complex, coupled with the world police mission of the USA. The budget can only increase; it would be political suicide to reduce the budget.
(edited 6 years ago)

This is what you said before:

"No other developed or big country comes close to the US in military spending, even as a percent of GDP."

I just proved you wrong and I listed several countries that have a higher spending on military as a percent of GDP than the US which includes russia.

Also, you need to take into consideration purchasing power. Soldiers in the US are paid high wages for example while in China and Russia they are paid next to nothing where many are there because of mandatory conscription. And as I said before, the US has much more territory and allies that it needs to protect than any other country in the world.

You dont understand what you are talking about.

The US spends 3.3% of its GDP.
Russia is 5.3%.

Which other country in the world is comparable to the USA, with its international commitments and allies?

What nationality are you?
Original post by tinycharlie
This is what you said before:

"No other developed or big country comes close to the US in military spending, even as a percent of GDP."

I just proved you wrong and I listed several countries that have a higher spending on military as a percent of GDP than the US which includes russia.

Do you really think 2.2% and 3.5% can be considered close?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending