The Student Room Group

Comp sci A-level without gcse?

Was wondering if I’d be at a disadvantage if I did computer science A-level without doing it (now) at GCSE?
The sixth form I’m applying to does not require it for the A-level course but I feel like a lot of the people will have done it at GCSE.
Has anyone had experience of this?
:smile: thanks
Original post by Toastiekid
Was wondering if I’d be at a disadvantage if I did computer science A-level without doing it (now) at GCSE?
The sixth form I’m applying to does not require it for the A-level course but I feel like a lot of the people will have done it at GCSE.
Has anyone had experience of this?
:smile: thanks

I'm in year 12 doing A-level. I didn't do the GCSE. I don't have any problems whatsoever, but if you haven't done any coding at all, you might struggle. Just knowing the basics (what If, For and While statements do; what variables are) would be enough. Theory-wise you should be fine - it's just a case of learning the specific terms that the exam specification use.
Reply 2
Original post by TheMindGarage
I'm in year 12 doing A-level. I didn't do the GCSE. I don't have any problems whatsoever, but if you haven't done any coding at all, you might struggle. Just knowing the basics (what If, For and While statements do; what variables are) would be enough. Theory-wise you should be fine - it's just a case of learning the specific terms that the exam specification use.

Awesome, thank you! I've done a bit of coding before and did computer science till the end of ks 3.
Good luck with a-levels!
Pretty sure there's an online MOOC which does most the stuff in GCSE by OCR. Do it in the summer and you'll be 110% fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Appleorpear
Pretty sure there's an online MOOC which does most the stuff in GCSE by OCR. Do it in the summer and you'll be 110% fine.

Cool, thank you:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest