Why is there so much support for Remain in EU now compared to a year ago?

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I recently did a poll and expected overwhelmingly pro Leave result at least 70% Leave but it’s the opppsite.
Ive looked at TSR polls on Leave / Remain from 12 months ago and they were heavily infavor of Leave.

What has changed?

I thought even more people would want Leave. A year ago I was fairly undecided and I couldn’t vote in the referendum. Now I’m supporting Brexit, because it will be good for Britain and get people spending their money in Britain again instead of abroad.

Now with progress in sight, trade deals, a new passport and a feeling of pride and freedom I thought even more people would support Brexit now.
IamJacksContempt
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because the naive Brexit voters have started to realise how stupid they were and that all the "scaremongering" wasn't actually scaremongering.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
I recently did a poll and expected overwhelmingly pro Leave result at least 70% Leave but it’s the opppsite.
Ive looked at TSR polls on Leave / Remain from 12 months ago and they were heavily infavor of Leave.

What has changed?

I thought even more people would want Leave. A year ago I was fairly undecided and I couldn’t vote in the referendum. Now I’m supporting Brexit, because it will be good for Britain and get people spending their money in Britain again instead of abroad.

Now with progress in sight, trade deals, a new passport and a feeling of pride and freedom I thought even more people would support Brexit now.
It is not though. TSR is not representative of the UK. This was similar to the idea that the country was overwhelmingly behind remaining.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Wired_1800)
It is not though. TSR is not representative of the UK. This was similar to the idea that the country was overwhelmingly behind remaining.
I thought that TSR was generally pro- Brexit more so than the UK as a whole.
Wired_1800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I thought that TSR was generally pro- Brexit more so than the UK as a whole.
Nah, I don't think so. I think there were more Remainers.
The RAR
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are you talking about? I still support Brexit
Arima
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"when we leave the EU, we're going to spend more money on the NHS, £300 million!!"
JayN_0
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Progress, that's a bit of reach tbh . Barely anything has been done , there are no solid deals yet. Brexit is not even worth it - pound has declined, prices are going to rise but who cares about that when we can have a blue passport.
ParkHyungSuk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who cares we got the Blue Passport, **** everything else
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
whether we leave or not, one thing is clear - the European ComMission/Council/Parliament can no longer ignore or dismiss the rise of the far-right within the continent.
Liamw1998
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People place too much reliance’s on the news and other sources, rather than actually doing research theirselves.

What is a newspaper More likely to sell?
“Alright fellas, it’s going absolutely fine really”
Or “holy **** we are all going to die the whole world is coming to an end”

I honestly believe that once we have left the EU, financial stability and confidence in our economy will Be restored and everything will level out again.

There have been positives as well from leaving, such as exports businesses booming and just the fact that our economy has survived so much better than predicted during a time of uncertainty is a huge plus.

Just don’t believe everything you read and research to make your own decisions, instead of heavily relying on biased media which has the intention of creating a sellable story.

What has changed?

donut_mckenzie28
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Brexit happened so we can not do anything about it
donut_mckenzie28
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Arima)
"when we leave the EU, we're going to spend more money on the NHS, £300 million!!"
yey !!!
spidle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't get how our economy surviving and being relatively stable is a plus for brexit, it would have been the same (or better) if we didn't leave and the pound would still be higher.
Liamw1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is a plus because it is uncertainty within an economy which puts strain on it and with uncertainty, it’s inevitable that the pound drops. As it has and will rise as certainty is returned to our market. It shows that even with this uncertainty, we have managed very well and it is a good indicator that as trade talks move forward, we will continue to regain our strength.

So far, we haven’t even left the EU. So you can’t blame any of the stuff that has happened on leaving the EU. It is stuff that has been caused by the uncertainty surrounded by the decision to leave the EU. (With the acception maybe of rehousing UK based EU organisations, which it was agreed we wouldn’t pay for)

And yes the pound would not have dropped, but then we would have also still been tied to a controlling organisation and accumulated further debts and let their hooks get deeper within us year by year. The pound will rise again, and we will continue as we have done.

Also, need to quote me if you want me to see what you’ve replied.

(Original post by spidle)
I don't get how our economy surviving and being relatively stable is a plus for brexit, it would have been the same (or better) if we didn't leave and the pound would still be higher.
paul514
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

What has changed?

The actual polls show nothing has changed and that makes this thread pointless
Just my opinion
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do you think 12 months Plus of every elite in the country from the Media, news organisations politics celebrities , academia etc screaming that the vote shouldn't count it was the wrong decision we're on the Titanic heading for the mother of all icebergs............. take a breath....Noooooooooooo,. might have something to do with it?

And for most people on here being pro-brexit you will only have to see the way the comments are going to know that is not true.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
People can see that you leave fanatics peddled a spurious lie in the referendum and that they most certainly wont be better off.
-Eirlys-
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moved to UK Politics.
MJ1414
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Because of the bias everywhere, especially on mainstream news channels. Free speech and free choice has been replaced by media-upheld conformity. Check where the polls are sourced too. Whatever side you were on, the vote and the people who voted must be respected. That is the basic principle of democracy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (185)
14.14%
I'm not sure (59)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (383)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.83%
I'm not a current university student (644)
49.24%

Watched Threads