The Student Room Group

Sussex vs Liverpool for law?

I've looked at both courses and they both seem pretty similar. I know Liverpool is RG but Sussex is generally higher on the league tables. Sussex is closer to London, but Liverpool is next to Manchester and would probably have great links to big firms because it's RG. Which would leave me with the best job prospects (pay, chance of becoming a barrister, working abroad, all the general stuff...)? Which has the better lecturers? Any help would be greatly appreciated (:
BTW: I have already been given offers from both and am just thinking of which one to put as firm/insurance on UCAS
Original post by WhyIsTheQuestion
I've looked at both courses and they both seem pretty similar. I know Liverpool is RG but Sussex is generally higher on the league tables. Sussex is closer to London, but Liverpool is next to Manchester and would probably have great links to big firms because it's RG. Which would leave me with the best job prospects (pay, chance of becoming a barrister, working abroad, all the general stuff...)? Which has the better lecturers? Any help would be greatly appreciated (:
BTW: I have already been given offers from both and am just thinking of which one to put as firm/insurance on UCAS

Have you been to the open days for both?
Where would you be happiest.
I dont think its going to make that much difference, so if both courses interest you equally then Id be looking at things like location, expense and where I felt I would like to study.

Also do some research and have a look at their employment stats following graduation.

10/30
Which appeals most - older urban campus or more modern green-field site near the sea? Big city? Smaller city?
What 'extras' are each offering - study abroad, language tuition, units from other subjects, placements, moots, pro-bono work in final years etc etc?
Where will you feel most comfortable/relaxed?

More info advice about making Firm/Insurance choices here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices
Original post by 999tigger
Have you been to the open days for both?
Where would you be happiest.
I dont think its going to make that much difference, so if both courses interest you equally then Id be looking at things like location, expense and where I felt I would like to study.

Also do some research and have a look at their employment stats following graduation.

10/30

Hi! Thanks for your reply. From what I've found from the Guardian, the employment stats are pretty similar (both approx 92%). Do /did you go to either uni?
Original post by returnmigrant
Which appeals most - older urban campus or more modern green-field site near the sea? Big city? Smaller city?
What 'extras' are each offering - study abroad, language tuition, units from other subjects, placements, moots, pro-bono work in final years etc etc?
Where will you feel most comfortable/relaxed?

More info advice about making Firm/Insurance choices here : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/firm-and-insurance-choices

Thank you very much for your reply! I think I was hoping for more of a specific POV from a law student from either uni that has had to move to go there. I come from a small town so I have no idea what big or small cities are like to live in. Do you have any insight? Do/ did you go to either uni?
Thank you very much for your reply! I think I was hoping for more of a specific POV from a law student from either uni that has had to move to go there. I come from a small town so I have no idea what big or small cities are like to live in. Do you have any insight? Do/ did you go to either uni?

I actually went to both - but not to read Law.

Sussex is a lovely 'village feel' Uni and so you dont feel overwhelmed by people/space, and the first years living on campus are a tight knit bunch. In your 2/3 years, moving into Brighton is is great - heaps to do and there is always the seaside as a distraction/big space for fresh air. And its only an hour from London by train. And there is aferry to France just up the road at Newhaven.

Liverpool is a city campus so there isnt the same inclusive feel - most first years live in 'Carnatic' a big student village off campus, but there is also housing around campus as well. You are 5 mins walk to the centre of Liverpool - lots pf pubs/clubs/shops. And museums/history of the port area etc.

I loved living in both places - each has its fun and its comforts. And actually, wherever you go to Uni you fall in love with it - thats what happens - and since everyone comes from so many different backgrounds/places then you will explore and 'learn' your new city together.

Good tip on how to choose - Write the name of each Uni and the course title at the top of a separate piece of paper, along with the exact wording of the Offer. Divide the page into 2 columns: The plus points of that course and uni and city and then the negatives of that course and uni and city. Stick these up on the wall, and add other points to them when you think of them. Writing things down is often a very good way of clarifying the muddle of thoughts rushing about in your head. Seeing it all in black and white can often make you realise important aspects of your preferences. In particular it can make it obvious to you that a uni that you are clinging to, isn't actually the best one for the course/subject or your interests.
Hi!

I just graduated from Law at Liverpool with a first - feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

As regards, Liverpool is a strange one. It's definitely falling down the league tables - something that worried me as a student - but still benefits from its relatively strong history. A lot of my friends have secured TCs at top law firms, and I know of a few people in my year who got jobs at MC firms.

As for comparing the two cities, it really is chalk and cheese. Liverpool is a brilliant student city if you're into clubbing, and the vibes that come with cities. I absolutely loved living there, as you get the city experience whilst avoiding the chaos that can be found in London. I imagine that Sussex is far quieter, but can't really attest to this.

I would note that Liverpool is one of the only city universities I've visited that feels campus-y, as the buildings are all in one central area (as opposed to, say, Manchester).

I lived in Liverpool during my stay - it is worth noting that all the uni accommodation is being, or has been, renovated. Carnatic and Greenbank (the decades old accommodation) are both being shut down and replaced, and the replacements are as good as you'll find anywhere.
Original post by NotQuiteMikeRoss
Hi!

I just graduated from Law at Liverpool with a first - feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

As regards, Liverpool is a strange one. It's definitely falling down the league tables - something that worried me as a student - but still benefits from its relatively strong history. A lot of my friends have secured TCs at top law firms, and I know of a few people in my year who got jobs at MC firms.

As for comparing the two cities, it really is chalk and cheese. Liverpool is a brilliant student city if you're into clubbing, and the vibes that come with cities. I absolutely loved living there, as you get the city experience whilst avoiding the chaos that can be found in London. I imagine that Sussex is far quieter, but can't really attest to this.

I would note that Liverpool is one of the only city universities I've visited that feels campus-y, as the buildings are all in one central area (as opposed to, say, Manchester).

I lived in Liverpool during my stay - it is worth noting that all the uni accommodation is being, or has been, renovated. Carnatic and Greenbank (the decades old accommodation) are both being shut down and replaced, and the replacements are as good as you'll find anywhere.

Hi! Thanks for your message.
-Did you feel the need to go to Manchester often for things like mooting, or going to courts and things because as far as i know, Manchester is bigger and holds a lot more big law firms than Liverpool itself (i could be wrong)?
-When you wanted to go abroad during your time at Liverpool, was it hard or were there good travel links?
-Did you find that a lot of people from your year moved down to London or do most people continue on up North?
- Congrats on getting a first! Did you feel like you had a lot of support to get that and were you able to do a few extra-curriculars (clubs and societies) on top of getting it?
-Did many others get firsts in your year?
- I am also a bit worried about the league table drops, when you were there was it obvious why Liverpool is falling?
- Is the law course very high intensive? Did you feel under a lot of stress, or did the law faculty help and go through what you needed to do in detail?
-Did many people doing law have a part time job or would that have been to hard to manage?
-I've looked at all the societies and clubs online and there are quite a few law ones, while doing the law course did you feel the need to join them all? Did you find any more useful than others?
- Did you find that your closest friends were the ones from your course, or the ones from your halls?

I may have more questions later, sorry (: thanks for any insight you can give me
Original post by returnmigrant
I actually went to both - but not to read Law.

Sussex is a lovely 'village feel' Uni and so you dont feel overwhelmed by people/space, and the first years living on campus are a tight knit bunch. In your 2/3 years, moving into Brighton is is great - heaps to do and there is always the seaside as a distraction/big space for fresh air. And its only an hour from London by train. And there is aferry to France just up the road at Newhaven.

Liverpool is a city campus so there isnt the same inclusive feel - most first years live in 'Carnatic' a big student village off campus, but there is also housing around campus as well. You are 5 mins walk to the centre of Liverpool - lots pf pubs/clubs/shops. And museums/history of the port area etc.

I loved living in both places - each has its fun and its comforts. And actually, wherever you go to Uni you fall in love with it - thats what happens - and since everyone comes from so many different backgrounds/places then you will explore and 'learn' your new city together.

Good tip on how to choose - Write the name of each Uni and the course title at the top of a separate piece of paper, along with the exact wording of the Offer. Divide the page into 2 columns: The plus points of that course and uni and city and then the negatives of that course and uni and city. Stick these up on the wall, and add other points to them when you think of them. Writing things down is often a very good way of clarifying the muddle of thoughts rushing about in your head. Seeing it all in black and white can often make you realise important aspects of your preferences. In particular it can make it obvious to you that a uni that you are clinging to, isn't actually the best one for the course/subject or your interests.

Thanks for the reply. I'm doing the list thing now, and it's got quite long (: in terms of clubs and societies and the student union, which, Liverpool or Sussex, had a more active student union and better, more developed clubs and societies? Are the sport facilities better at one place or the other?
Hi! Thanks for your message.
-Did you feel the need to go to Manchester often for things like mooting, or going to courts and things because as far as i know, Manchester is bigger and holds a lot more big law firms than Liverpool itself (i could be wrong)?
-When you wanted to go abroad during your time at Liverpool, was it hard or were there good travel links?
-Did you find that a lot of people from your year moved down to London or do most people continue on up North?
- Congrats on getting a first! Did you feel like you had a lot of support to get that and were you able to do a few extra-curriculars (clubs and societies) on top of getting it?
-Did many others get firsts in your year?
- I am also a bit worried about the league table drops, when you were there was it obvious why Liverpool is falling?
- Is the law course very high intensive? Did you feel under a lot of stress, or did the law faculty help and go through what you needed to do in detail?
-Did many people doing law have a part time job or would that have been to hard to manage?
-I've looked at all the societies and clubs online and there are quite a few law ones, while doing the law course did you feel the need to join them all? Did you find any more useful than others?
- Did you find that your closest friends were the ones from your course, or the ones from your halls?

I may have more questions later, sorry (: thanks for any insight you can give me

1) There are certainly more firms to be had in Manchester, but Liverpool has a few (DLA/DWF/Hill D/Brabners/Weightmans/BLM). I never visited manchester much (although I'm currently doing the LPC there so can attest to its strong legal scene). All your mooting can be done in Liverpool, but there are more opportunities to be had in Manchester career-wise.

In my opinion, Liverpool is the better student city, but Manchester is the better place to start a legal career (although it doesn't much matter as they're only 40 minutes away from each other by train)

2) Going abroad is easy. If you can't fly from Liverpool, just hop on the train to Manchester - I did this when I went to various places in Europe

3) Entirely depends - southerners tend to go back home, northerners tend to stay up north. Also depends on the type of work you want - No MC firms up north.

4) Thanks!! The first was down to me, but I was always an independent learner. There was certainly a lot of time to do extra-curricular stuff, although I wasn't big on societies.

5) around 9% I think

6) if you look at the statistics, it's student satisfaction that started the downward slide, although they're starting to remedy this (new accommodation etc).

7) I never felt stressed, law is definitely a subject that 'clicks' after a while (or at least it did for me). There was definitely help if you wanted it, but I found that we were generally left to our own devices (again, your mileage may vary).

They definitely don't spoon feed you, and I would say that some (not all) of the tutors are more interested in their research than their teaching (this tends to be true of a lot of the RG universities, due to the research focus). Like anything, some tutors were awesome, and some weren't.

8) A part time job is easily manageable; I had one and so did many of my friends. I would always recommend getting one if possible as it looks good on your CV (work ethic/drive etc).

9) I deliberately stayed away from the law society. I found it to be somewhat cliquey, and there was always a competitive undertone that I didn't like. That said, I'm an eternal cynic, and many of my friends joined the law soc and enjoyed it.

10) My friends were a mixture of course mates and people from halls. You definitely need a mixture - it's good to have interaction with people away from law....it keeps you sane!

Hope this covers it, and I'm happy to answer any more queries. Best of luck!

Quick Reply