5) Other gods Watch

Drummond
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Once we have fallen to pride then we are at enmity with God. We become gods ourselves. And we make decisions all day based on pride, how we look, what we say and what we do. We are fishing for compliments and for recognition from our fellow man and our thoughts plan out more ways to get recognition. We build ourselves a high place, we become a high place which needs tending to, because high places are pride.

Sometimes we will make sacrifice for our pride, this is called sacrificing in the high places and this will be actions like going on a diet or going to the gym. None of this is for God it is for the self, we sacrifice, to look better, so that we feel better about ourselves.

Then when we become full up with pride and we don't want it overflowing so that we lose pride, we find other places to store our pride and these are in our other gods.

Our homes, our vehicles, our wealth, our possessions, our careers, even our children. Anything that we have pride in, is another god. However, when we have pride in our other gods, the pride does not transfer to the other god, it actually remains in us, so our other gods become places for us to extend our pride which is very bad. Because we get an excited feeling inside about how others might be impressed with our other gods and this feeling makes us all puffed up inside.

The gods we serve are the work of either our hands or the hands of others, made of wood and stone, that's homes. And gold and silver is wealth, working hard to earn it and checking our bank balance, with thoughts as to what we can spend on it to increase our pride in ourselves or in our other gods.

Look.

Deuteronomy 4:28

And there ye shall serve gods, the work of men's hands, wood and stone, which neither see, nor hear, nor eat, nor smell.

Habakkuk 2:9

Woe to him that coveteth an evil covetousness to his house, that he may set his nest on high, that he may be delivered from the power of evil!

Deuteronomy 28:36

The LORD shall bring thee, and thy king which thou shalt set over thee, unto a nation which neither thou nor thy fathers have known; and there shalt thou serve other gods, wood and stone.

Revelation 9:20

And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

Anything or anyone, which we, or who we, have pride in, is another god. And we tend to these gods without even knowing, that the cause is pride, which is enmity with god and if we have pride in ourselves or in our other gods then we can not be saved, we shall be judged unrighteous.

The first to get pride, is in us, after this we put our pride in other gods. So in God's perfect order, we have to sacrifice our other gods first, before we sacrifice the pride in us. It has to be in this order.

Now God is going to judge the pride of this world and utterly destroy it. This is written, there is no way out of this. So we either commit to God in faith and sacrifice our gods willingly, which pleases God. Or we hold on to our other gods and be judged unrighteous. We can not have faith in God whilst we have other gods. Its not possible.

Matthew 6:24

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

We can never fully understand pride until we give up our gods and live by faith. We have to leave the world behind. And when we do this, we get to meet the living God and to see how He works and receive gifts from Him, which are beyond our imagination. It is a fearful commitment to make choosing God, so we need to know God is here with us, otherwise we will fail. We have to know God is here with us and we must count the cost before committing. It really is walking out on to the sea without a life jacket.

So quick recap.

1. Break the deceptions of the world apart to know that God is here and His word is the only truth.

2. Weigh up the cost of what lies ahead.

3. Sacrifice our other gods for God, this is a daily sacrifice.

4. Live by faith in God and in God only. Not by faith in man or faith in the world which we have been doing. We are leaving the world behind and there is no going back until God comes to get us.

5. Understand that we need to die to the self, which is dying to the pride which we have in ourselves. We let God's Spirit do this, because He knows what we can take each day, but we need to work with Him.
LRxS
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So.... what’s this thread for, exactly?...
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by LRxS)
So.... what’s this thread for, exactly?...
Giving up our other gods, for the living God, our God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
LRxS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Drummond)
Giving up our other gods, for the living God, our God, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
I gave up all Gods, so does that count?
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by LRxS)
I gave up all Gods, so does that count?
All of them but One is a good start.
LRxS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All of them but One is a good start.
Nah just all of them is fine for me. Don’t see why I’d believe in one more than another.
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by LRxS)
Nah just all of them is fine for me. Don’t see why I’d believe in one more than another.
That's fine by me, you don't have to believe mate. Truth be told, you will be in the majority, massively.
LRxS
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That's fine by me, you don't have to believe mate. Truth be told, you will be in the majority, massively.
I appreciate the fact you can accept the beliefs of others. Unfortunately, that makes you a rare breed on TSR!!

However I don’t understand why you’ve made such a vague thread? Are you trying to invite discussion, or ask a question, or something else?
ParkHyungSuk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How belief in god, led to the suicide of one of the greatest minds in british history:

Private homosexuality was a criminal offence in Britain up until- astonishingly - 1967. In 1954 the British mathematician Alan Turing, a candidate along with John von Neumann for the title of father of the computer, committed suicide after being convicted of the criminal offence of homosexual behaviour in private.
Admittedly Turing was not buried alive under a wall pushed over by a tank. He was offered a choice between two years in prison (you can imagine how the other prisoners would have treated him) and a course of hormone injections which could be siid to amount to chemical castration, and would have caused him to grow breasts. His final, private choice was an apple that he had injected with cyanide.
As the pivotal intellect in the breaking of the German Enigma codes, Turing arguably made a greater contribution to defeating the Nazis than Eisenhower or Churchill. Thanks to Turing and his 'Ultra' colleagues at Bletchley Park, Allied generals in the field were consistently, over long periods of the war, privy to detailed German plans before the German generals had time to implement them. After the war, when Turing's role was no longer top secret, he should have been knighted and feted as a saviour of his nation. Instead, this gentle, stammering, eccentric genius was destroyed, for a 'crime', committed in private, which harmed nobody. Once again, the unmistakable trademark of the faith-based moralizer is to care passionately about what other people do (or even think) in private.
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by LRxS)
I appreciate the fact you can accept the beliefs of others. Unfortunately, that makes you a rare breed on TSR!!

However I don’t understand why you’ve made such a vague thread? Are you trying to invite discussion, or ask a question, or something else?
Its more of a thread for people who read the Bible. Its difficult to understand without having a bit of background knowledge of the Bible to be honest. Its like if someone wrote a thread about playing a guitar, i wouldn't have the foggiest because i'm musically challenged. But then if i decided to pick up a guitar and have a few lessons and practice, then i would understand a bit better. That's all it is mate.
Drummond
Rep:
?
(Original post by ParkHyungSuk)
How belief in god, led to the suicide of one of the greatest minds in british history:

Private homosexuality was a criminal offence in Britain up until- astonishingly - 1967. In 1954 the British mathematician Alan Turing, a candidate along with John von Neumann for the title of father of the computer, committed suicide after being convicted of the criminal offence of homosexual behaviour in private.
Admittedly Turing was not buried alive under a wall pushed over by a tank. He was offered a choice between two years in prison (you can imagine how the other prisoners would have treated him) and a course of hormone injections which could be siid to amount to chemical castration, and would have caused him to grow breasts. His final, private choice was an apple that he had injected with cyanide.
As the pivotal intellect in the breaking of the German Enigma codes, Turing arguably made a greater contribution to defeating the Nazis than Eisenhower or Churchill. Thanks to Turing and his 'Ultra' colleagues at Bletchley Park, Allied generals in the field were consistently, over long periods of the war, privy to detailed German plans before the German generals had time to implement them. After the war, when Turing's role was no longer top secret, he should have been knighted and feted as a saviour of his nation. Instead, this gentle, stammering, eccentric genius was destroyed, for a 'crime', committed in private, which harmed nobody. Once again, the unmistakable trademark of the faith-based moralizer is to care passionately about what other people do (or even think) in private.
Well the good news is that Jesus was tempted by suicide and He won through. So we can take much strength from this, because when God's people die to pride, they will be tempted by exactly the same things as Jesus was. You see, Jesus is God, and Jesus came to demonstrate what to do, so that we can follow.

Have you ever been on a first aid course where you have to pretend to be a casualty mate?

Or have you ever trained someone else to do something which you have experience in?

You have to role play, demonstrate what to do by doing it yourself as an example, then others watch and learn and then do the same as what you did. This is why God came to us as Jesus. So we don't just talk about what He did, we actually do it by following Him. Pretty cool hey?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.42%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (42)
10.12%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.8%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.46%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.84%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.36%

Watched Threads