Want more information about this university?
Maris499
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am speaking on the behalf of a friend who is thinking about dropping out of uni because she cant handle the stress as well as the commute to uni.

She doesnt want to change courses but to just drop out and maybe just progress at her job as a sales assistant. She is currently in her first year.

So if she was to drop out before the term starts after Christmas break, what will happen in terms of her course .etc. and student finance? What does she need to do if she wants to drop out?
OR what if she was to drop out once she has completed first year? How can she drop out from then? and what will happen with her course/uni and student finance?

Is it worse to drop out before the 2nd term begins after xmas? She is quiet stressed out and overthinks a lot, and does believe that she will be happier if she was to leave uni and progress in her job. She prefers to not talk to any uni counsellor as they will probably just try to convince her to stay.

So what does she have to do to drop out of university by the end of first year or before the 2nd term starts?

Any advice would be appreciated thank you.
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are your friend's reasons for dropping out? Does she still plan on going to university later or looking for employment? I would suggest she talks to someone from her university, be it student support or personal tutor. Sometimes the issues can be resolved, if not, she will get advice on how to withdraw from the course.

She will be responsible for accommodation costs (depending if she pays by term or by year) and tuition fees in proportion to the time she has studied. If she decides she wants to leave, she would need to tell Student Finance and they will give her a list of the money she needs to repay (when she earns over the threshold limit). The maintenance loan she would need to cancel and then repay what she has borrowed.
Maris499
Rep:
?
(Original post by cheesecakelove)
What are your friend's reasons for dropping out? Does she still plan on going to university later or looking for employment? I would suggest she talks to someone from her university, be it student support or personal tutor. Sometimes the issues can be resolved, if not, she will get advice on how to withdraw from the course.

She will be responsible for accommodation costs (depending if she pays by term or by year) and tuition fees in proportion to the time she has studied. If she decides she wants to leave, she would need to tell Student Finance and they will give her a list of the money she needs to repay (when she earns over the threshold limit). The maintenance loan she would need to cancel and then repay what she has borrowed.
She commutes to uni from home so she doesn’t have to worry about accommodation costs thank god. Also she already has a job as a sales assistant which she really enjoys and believes she can make her way up from her current position. She wants to leave because she hates stressing over uni and doesn’t like uni in general. She doesn’t see the point I. Uni and regrets it also.

She is worried to leave uni before 2nd semester begins as she does have a few essays and an exam to do in January. Would you say it’s best to leave as soon as or atleast get the year done? She doesn’t want to talk to any counsellors etc coz she knows they will just convince her to stay which will waste more time.

If she does stay until the year will she have to pay more? So the full student loan and the 3 instalments of maintenance loan?
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think she needs to think about this carefully before she decides, so I can't comment if she should leave now or give it a chance. Also reconsider talking to support at university: whilst they would like you to stay, it is their job to give the best info and advice as appropriate. They are there to make sure you have a good experience, even if you feel happier elsewhere. If she does want to drop out, then they will give her the best information on what to do next.

The longer you stay, you would have to pay back more. If she stayed one full year, she would be responsible for the amount of tuition loan in proportion to the time she studied. Any maintenance loan she borrowed she would need to repay.
Maris499
Rep:
?
I think she needs to think about this carefully before she decides, so I can't comment if she should leave now or give it a chance. Also reconsider talking to support at university: whilst they would like you to stay, it is their job to give the best info and advice as appropriate. They are there to make sure you have a good experience, even if you feel happier elsewhere. If she does want to drop out, then they will give her the best information on what to do next.

The longer you stay, you would have to pay back more. If she stayed one full year, she would be responsible for the amount of tuition loan in proportion to the time she studied. Any maintenance loan she borrowed she would need to repay.
Ohh I get it! talking to her about this, she said she will wait till the end of first year as she’s pretty much half way anyways. But I do agree with you about talking to someone at uni! She said once first year is over she will try and see if she does want to stay or not, but she does doubt a lot that she will stay.

Also how would they expect you to pay back the student and maintenance loan? Will they just take it from her salary every month or is it until she earns 21,000 a year?

Lastly, leaving uni after first year, are there any benefits towards it? Even though you won’t walk out with a amazing degree, will that certificate atleast somewhat look any good and that you’ve given uni a try? & do we actually get a certificate for completing first year or anything ?!
Advertisement
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Repaying the loan should be under the same conditions as normal (i.e. when you earn over £21,000). Your friend might find this useful (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying...ng-your-course).

I don't think there are really any benefits to only studying first year at uni, or any certificate awarded?...

(Original post by Marisahd6)
Ohh I get it! talking to her about this, she said she will wait till the end of first year as she’s pretty much half way anyways. But I do agree with you about talking to someone at uni! She said once first year is over she will try and see if she does want to stay or not, but she does doubt a lot that she will stay.

Also how would they expect you to pay back the student and maintenance loan? Will they just take it from her salary every month or is it until she earns 21,000 a year?

Lastly, leaving uni after first year, are there any benefits towards it? Even though you won’t walk out with a amazing degree, will that certificate atleast somewhat look any good and that you’ve given uni a try? & do we actually get a certificate for completing first year or anything ?!
Maris499
Rep:
?
Repaying the loan should be under the same conditions as normal (i.e. when you earn over £21,000). Your friend might find this useful (https://www.prospects.ac.uk/applying...ng-your-course).

I don't think there are really any benefits to only studying first year at uni, or any certificate awarded?...
Thank you! I’m sure the link would be really helpful too her! To be honest I am also having doubts about uni as I just feel like I can get a decent job/salary without a degree. I am also in first year and ergh uni wasn’t what I expected :/ being the first to go in my family made me really happy and proud of myself but now I just see it as pressure to do well. I think I might also reconsider after first year. Or even take a gap year after if that’s possible ??

The process of dropping out seems so dreadful and so time consuming if only it was easier & less paperwork! After first year, to go onto second year won’t you have to re-register anyways? What if you just don’t & explain to the uni & student finance you don’t want to go .etc. Or after a gap year, what if you decide you don’t want to attend uni anymore after that?
Advertisement
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No problem, happy to help! As for your situation, it depends on what career you want to go into and what course you are studying. For some careers, university is the best and easier route. However, there are careers you can attain by working your way up from an entry level position.

What are your concerns about university? Yes there is pressure to do well, but you should also see it as an experience - giving you an opportunity to do so many new things, a chance to expand your knowledge and thinking and a stepping stone to the career that you want. If you wanted to leave, you would need to give this great thought, perhaps talking to your personal tutor or student support (similar to your friend's situation).

If you really can't stand being there you could look at transferring to another uni if you feel the teaching system/course content isn't right for you, or look at alternative plans. Nobody can make you do anything you don't want to but make sure you took the time to think things through carefully.
Maris499
Rep:
?
No problem, happy to help! As for your situation, it depends on what career you want to go into and what course you are studying. For some careers, university is the best and easier route. However, there are careers you can attain by working your way up from an entry level position.

What are your concerns about university? Yes there is pressure to do well, but you should also see it as an experience - giving you an opportunity to do so many new things, a chance to expand your knowledge and thinking and a stepping stone to the career that you want. If you wanted to leave, you would need to give this great thought, perhaps talking to your personal tutor or student support (similar to your friend's situation).

If you really can't stand being there you could look at transferring to another uni if you feel the teaching system/course content isn't right for you, or look at alternative plans. Nobody can make you do anything you don't want to but make sure you took the time to think things through carefully.
Ahhh true! The idea of actually dropping out is quiet frightening. But I don’t know, like my course is actually alright it’s just the people who are so ‘dead’ and everything just seems bleh :/ the commuting to and back from uni can be a bit annoying, but mainly I am not too sure which career I’d like to go into, I see myself working/making my way up in retail to be honest, but I guess you never know :/
Advertisement
Quiet _One86
Badges: 16
Report 2 years ago
As someone who has withdrawn from University again (2nd time) - 12 years apart from the first time. Choices made were my own, albeit a little disappointed in myself in doing so, I felt that I had no choice, that I had similar reasons to the OP's friend but no work to fall into although I'm hoping that the new year is good to me and that I get to look for something more for me, and maybe a degree at a later date. I have no loans to worry about thankfully albeit a few quids down for being a self payment student. My chronic illnesses and mental health meant more to me than a degree at this time but the course itself wasn't for me I felt, didn't seem to be taking me in the direction I wanted it to, yes I know its hard to tell in first year but I'm not wasting nearly £10k per year to find out. I hope the OP's friend finds what they're looking for if it isn't a degree and a job, but it's only their choice and no-one else. Time will tell if I am required to do another one at a later date but I just feel now isn't the right time.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
When I was considering leaving university (before I actually did), I assure you they weren't trying to "convince me to stay". The staff I discussed it with provided quite a balanced point of view - bear in mind a student failing and not being allowed to continue, or even just doing poorly and trashing them in the NSS because they wanted to drop out but didn't reflects poorly on the university. Equally they understand the relative benefits of remaining in uni and what tools and services the university have on offer that may help with the reasons for considering leaving uni.

It's impossible to say without actually knowing the exact reasons for dropping out as you've been fairly vague. Since you've more or less dropped the pretense of this being for "a friend" maybe just tell us (and probably, them) exactly what is on your mind and what issues are making you consider leaving.
Advertisement
2007PSanHa
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

At my uni you get a CertHE (pass, merit or distinction) if you complete first year.
cheesecakelove
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can I ask what subject you are studying? I don't think the commute is helping - how far do you have to commute everyday? In terms of societies and activities, try to get involved as much as possible. It will make the university experience more enjoyable as you will meet more people and do more activities. University is also the time to start figuring out what you want to do. A lot of students don't know what they want to do when they graduate as they begin their degree. Using the next few years to complete work experience and internships, attending careers fairs and networking events - this will all give you a more concrete idea of the path you want to take after university.

Ahhh true! The idea of actually dropping out is quiet frightening. But I don’t know, like my course is actually alright it’s just the people who are so ‘dead’ and everything just seems bleh :/ the commuting to and back from uni can be a bit annoying, but mainly I am not too sure which career I’d like to go into, I see myself working/making my way up in retail to be honest, but I guess you never know :/
Advertisement
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
I am speaking on the behalf of a friend who is thinking about dropping out of uni because she cant handle the stress as well as the commute to uni.

She doesnt want to change courses but to just drop out and maybe just progress at her job as a sales assistant. She is currently in her first year.

So if she was to drop out before the term starts after Christmas break, what will happen in terms of her course .etc. and student finance? What does she need to do if she wants to drop out?
OR what if she was to drop out once she has completed first year? How can she drop out from then? and what will happen with her course/uni and student finance?

Is it worse to drop out before the 2nd term begins after xmas? She is quiet stressed out and overthinks a lot, and does believe that she will be happier if she was to leave uni and progress in her job. She prefers to not talk to any uni counsellor as they will probably just try to convince her to stay.

So what does she have to do to drop out of university by the end of first year or before the 2nd term starts?

I remembered this thread an have spent hours tracking it down again. It seems from reading the thread your friend has decided to stay.

I think I would have suggested she leaves, but its a personal choice an as long as she has thought it through then thats fine.

Just wanted to point some things out.

1. If she had decided to leave then the critical date is to have sorted it by 8 January. That is the date when she becomes liable for the next tranche of fees i.e another £2,250 and she would have need to have submitted her completed withdrawal form in by then.

The charging and refund policy is here
https://docs.gre.ac.uk/__data/assets...7-18SB-vs2.pdf

2. Student debt incurred whilst a student as a student doesnt kick in till you reach the £21k soon to be £25k level.

3. Leaving is via filling out and having it signed off by your department/ tutor by the due date. If you ever decide t withdraw and the deadline is tight then also deliver it by hand and get confirmation from the people in charge of withdrawals of the date and time of acceptance.
http://www2.gre.ac.uk/current-studen...upt/withdrawal
http://www2.gre.ac.uk/current-studen...errupt/request

The full procedure is here
https://docs.gre.ac.uk/__data/assets...res-Sep-17.pdf

4. The good news is if she carries on for a year and dosent like it, then every student gets a gift year of funding which they can be used for repeats. changes of mind and illness. Assuming your friend hasnt had any previous funding for HE, then she will still have funding left for a full degree anywhere else. If she decides to leave after year 1 then she could return to uni any time in the future on a different course or at a different place.

5. The other things to be dealt with are accommodation (she doesnt have this major issue), telling SFE, making sure you have cleared all your stuff from their IT.

My advice is if the course definitely isnt for her by the end of year 1 then drop out and preserve funding for a time when she knows what she wishes to do.

I didnt go into any of the other issues as these seem to have been taken care of, but i wanted to get that info to you. GL.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Maris499)

It would be better if she dropped out before christmas as its very early on so she wont have to pay back all her student fees only half. If she completed first year and then dropped out it would be pointless as she will have wasted a whole year in staying and will still have to pay back all her fees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise