Dropping out of uni Xmas/after First year Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am speaking on the behalf of a friend who is thinking about dropping out of uni because she cant handle the stress as well as the commute to uni.

She doesnt want to change courses but to just drop out and maybe just progress at her job as a sales assistant. She is currently in her first year.

So if she was to drop out before the term starts after Christmas break, what will happen in terms of her course .etc. and student finance? What does she need to do if she wants to drop out?
OR what if she was to drop out once she has completed first year? How can she drop out from then? and what will happen with her course/uni and student finance?

Is it worse to drop out before the 2nd term begins after xmas? She is quiet stressed out and overthinks a lot, and does believe that she will be happier if she was to leave uni and progress in her job. She prefers to not talk to any uni counsellor as they will probably just try to convince her to stay.

So what does she have to do to drop out of university by the end of first year or before the 2nd term starts?

Any advice would be appreciated thank you.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am speaking on the behalf of a friend who is thinking about dropping out of uni because she cant handle the stress as well as the commute to uni.

She doesnt want to change courses but to just drop out and maybe just progress at her job as a sales assistant. She is currently in her first year.

So if she was to drop out before the term starts after Christmas break, what will happen in terms of her course .etc. and student finance? What does she need to do if she wants to drop out?
OR what if she was to drop out once she has completed first year? How can she drop out from then? and what will happen with her course/uni and student finance?

Is it worse to drop out before the 2nd term begins after xmas? She is quiet stressed out and overthinks a lot, and does believe that she will be happier if she was to leave uni and progress in her job. She prefers to not talk to any uni counsellor as they will probably just try to convince her to stay.

So what does she have to do to drop out of university by the end of first year or before the 2nd term starts?

Any advice would be appreciated thank you.
She d have to tell the university that she wants to withdraw, if she leaves before the end of the year then she could have to pay the rest of the years rent if she is in accomodation and she might have to give a small amount of her maintainance loan back.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by claireestelle)
She d have to tell the university that she wants to withdraw, if she leaves before the end of the year then she could have to pay the rest of the years rent if she is in accomodation and she might have to give a small amount of her maintainance loan back.
She commutes from home and to pay back the student loan and maintainance loan, will they let her do it in installments or anything? will she have to pay the student loan in full?
303Pharma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Speak with student souncillor and student finance/funding. A 'Leave of absence' will mean year will get written off by SFE if can caim 'compelling personal reasons'. Need to clarify with the experts though.
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
She commutes from home and to pay back the student loan and maintainance loan, will they let her do it in installments or anything? will she have to pay the student loan in full?
Not in full just whatever she owes for the time she wasn't artending and they usually allow a payment plan if you don't have the income to pay in full.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 303Pharma)
Speak with student souncillor and student finance/funding. A 'Leave of absence' will mean year will get written off by SFE if can caim 'compelling personal reasons'. Need to clarify with the experts though.
what do you mean by a year getting written off? and is this if she drops out of uni before the second term begins next month or after her first year? This january she does have a few essays to hand in and an exam.

She doest really have the ulitmate reason as to why she wants to drop out, i think shes just had enough and doesnt want to stress over essays and stuff as well as commuting to and from uni!
303Pharma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what do you mean by a year getting written off? and is this if she drops out of uni before the second term begins next month or after her first year? This january she does have a few essays to hand in and an exam.

She doest really have the ulitmate reason as to why she wants to drop out, i think shes just had enough and doesnt want to stress over essays and stuff as well as commuting to and from uni!
Has to be before end of second semester, end of that acedemic year. SFE funds for the full years of the degree (which varies), plus what used to be called a 'grace year', but now i believe is called a 'false start'. As so many students start a degree only to come to realise it wasn't for them, and hearing from faculty, friends and aquantances of other courses that would better suit their interests, you get another years funding.

If there are 'compelling personal reasons' for dropping out, that years funding wont count in the years funding still available to study. It wont get written off exactly, poor choice of words by myself, the debt will still acrue, but not be included in the years allowed for funding. Hope that makes more sense.
iibenn-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Speaking as somebody who dropped out of uni earlier this year in March, your friend should have the right to drop out whenever she wants.
In terms of tuition fees she will owe the university for the amount of time she has been studying there. This means she’ll be in less debt if she drops out sooner rather than later.
It may be a similar case for accomodation fees, although some institutions require payment for the full year.
If she is absolutely sure that she wants to drop out then there is no point worrying about essays she needs to hand in, or when to leave. She should do it as soon as possible.
However it sounds like she doesn’t really have a concrete reason. Stress about essays is something that can first be discussed with a counsellor/personal tutor. Also, the university may be able to offer her alternative accomodation which has a shorter commute to uni?

All in all she should discuss her concerns with people at the university so that she is aware of their specific policies, and whether they can help her.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 303Pharma)
Has to be before end of second semester, end of that acedemic year. SFE funds for the full years of the degree (which varies), plus what used to be called a 'grace year', but now i believe is called a 'false start'. As so many students start a degree only to come to realise it wasn't for them, and hearing from faculty, friends and aquantances of other courses that would better suit their interests, you get another years funding.

If there are 'compelling personal reasons' for dropping out, that years funding wont count in the years funding still available to study. It wont get written off exactly, poor choice of words by myself, the debt will still acrue, but not be included in the years allowed for funding. Hope that makes more sense.
Ahhh so is it best to get the year done then withdraw? She does rely on maintenance loan for travel .etc. But waiting longer won’t that mean she has to pay back the student loan and more of the maintenance loan back?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by iibenn-)
Speaking as somebody who dropped out of uni earlier this year in March, your friend should have the right to drop out whenever she wants.
In terms of tuition fees she will owe the university for the amount of time she has been studying there. This means she’ll be in less debt if she drops out sooner rather than later.
It may be a similar case for accomodation fees, although some institutions require payment for the full year.
If she is absolutely sure that she wants to drop out then there is no point worrying about essays she needs to hand in, or when to leave. She should do it as soon as possible.
However it sounds like she doesn’t really have a concrete reason. Stress about essays is something that can first be discussed with a counsellor/personal tutor. Also, the university may be able to offer her alternative accomodation which has a shorter commute to uni?

All in all she should discuss her concerns with people at the university so that she is aware of their specific policies, and whether they can help her.
She just doesn’t feel like uni in general is right for her and often cry .etc. When she stresses over uni. But she feels so much happier at work and that’s where she sees herself progressing. She studies management & says that she can always make her way up as a sales assistant rather then stressing over a degree.

She also doesn’t want to talk it through with the student counseller coz she doesn’t want to be convicted to stay.

She is a little worried to drop out before 2nd semester coz she has a few essays to hand in and an exam in January. What if she was to drop out after her first year?

May I ask what your reasons were for withdrawing? And what do you have to do to drop out?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%