The Student Room Group

A level Chinese

Hi :tsr2: ....im just wondering how A level chinese(mandarin) is like for all you people doing it...

1)is it a big jump from GCSE?
2)Can anyone reccommend any books to help with the course?
3)any websites that help?
4)any edexcel past papers? (their free now) but cant find any a level chinese ones
5)should i take a level japanese instead??

thnx for your time...i would be really grateful if anyone can help:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i dnt think it matters whether its madarin or cantonese, but it is a big jump from GCSE, i didn't take it but a lot of my friends did and they got As but found it extremely difficult.
Reply 2
1. it's a big jump. i'm chinese and i suffered.

2. the format of the exam now is that you read some texts then write a 500~1000 word essay on it in the exam. so i guess read any of the texts they ask for?

4. i've never looked, but if you've got a decent grade in GCSE there's no use for past papers. the reading section is easy, and you can practise translation (chi->eng for AS and eng->chi for A2) from anything. the essay section changed last year, so there's no point in finding past papers for it.

5. i've seen papers for japanese.. and it's scary. if you're fluent in japanese then take it, or else it'll be hard work.
Reply 3
A/S Chinese is eaaaaasy. Really. If you got A* for GCSE Chinese without revising (which is what most of the people at my centre did) then you'd have no problem getting a B in A/S and all you'd have to do is polish up some bits and you're set for a mid-high A.

A2...is a bit different. When I did it two years ago, there was no coursework and it was okay. Not scarily hard. The only parts I revised for were the plots and characters from the text and book (is it still 百合花 and 春&#65311:wink:, know their relationships with each other and their personalities. So it's like Chinese literature. An A in A-Level Chinese is definitely attainable though.
Reply 4
i did A2 last year, but didn't get a good mark. in A2, all preparation (writing part) done before the exam. the preparation i did, it was rubbish, so i managed to get a B, i just could not believe it. i did 說客盈門.
there are more than 13 questions, u can choose to answer.

this is year, in A2, they are doing 南海13?,,i can't remember the exact name.
Reply 5
thnx for the replies.....

jus wondering if you lot went to a chinese school or was taught a level chinese?

and is the AS level part of chinese easy?

I got an A* at GCSE chinese....but that was some pretty basic and simple stuff really....

thnx
Reply 6
tokyorose888
thnx for the replies.....

jus wondering if you lot went to a chinese school or was taught a level chinese?

and is the AS level part of chinese easy?

I got an A* at GCSE chinese....but that was some pretty basic and simple stuff really....

thnx

i went to an international shool in hong kong.
we were "taught" AS and A2 chinese, but the teacher was really bad so it was more self-taught.

AS chinese was easy for me. it's only slightly harder than GCSE with the essay section, the reading section was easy and the translation (chi->eng) is easy if you understand the passage they want you to translate.

A2 chinese required actual revision and all, but it's easy if you have good editors and good memory skills :smile:
Reply 7
i'm chinese and i studied in a local school in hong kong before i came over for 6th form. and of course i didn't do GCSE chinese. for AS, it's extremely easy for me. but i didn't get a high A. just 262/300. for A2 it is harsh. got 217 at first. so 479/600 and yes. 1 mark off an A. remark. 10 marks added for A2 :biggrin: still a B. so yes. chinese is hard. but we haven't got anyone to help us. the essay part is difficult!
Mandarin speaker (not at all fluent), born and have grown up in UK. Did AS in May 2007, got a mid-high B; GCSE A*. Had virtually no teaching (Chinese schools around here are all Cantonese) for GCSE nor AS. Hoping to do A2 and retake AS this year.

1)is it a big jump from GCSE?
Quite a big jump. Chinese writing ability is strongly demanded; big leap up in vocab and character recognition. Also at A2, subject knowledge is required.

2)Can anyone reccommend any books to help with the course?
I bought Justin Wu's new "Advanced Level Chinese: Complete Tutorial" (RRP £14.99), and have barely read any of it. It is actually in Chinese; be warned. At A2, I guess you had better choose your topic well (from 2007, they introduced that Research-based essay, so you must prepare carefully).

3)any websites that help?
Not really, except for the A2 bit you could get more info off the web.

4)any edexcel past papers? (they're free now) but can't find any a level chinese ones
Neither can I...
The specimen ones were on the website...but now?

5)should i take a level japanese instead??
Are you fluent? Are you confident? Japanese A2 still relies on you thinking of the essay in the exam.
Reply 9
yes, read some books and prepare yourself on the essay
Reply 10
i'm chinese and i studied in a chinese school in birmingham
get A or A* in GCSE is esay but in A1 and A2 is hard
if you want to get a A in AL chinese, i think u need to get a high A in AS, that might be easier
regina184
i'm chinese and i studied in a chinese school in birmingham
get A or A* in GCSE is esay but in A1 and A2 is hard
if you want to get a A in AL chinese, i think u need to get a high A in AS, that might be easier

thnx for the replies:smile:
what did you get in AS only?
Hey

I am doing A Level Chinese this year. I'm British Born Chinese and have Chinese school every week in Birmingham for a couple of hours. I got an A* for GCSE and an A in AS last year.

Our teacher uses a Chinese booklet to teach us, I think it's called the UKCL book or something, but it's absolutely useless because it's a lot harder than the actual exam. I have coursework this year and I have to memorise about 800 words for an essay, but if I do well in it, it'll be 60% maximum of the 2nd paper. So I guess preparation is vital for unit 2. The comprehension is fine but the translation is English to Chinese, which I find hard.

However, the AS exam consists of matching sentences to a criteria like 'TV' or 'Weather' etc, a passage with comprehension, and a translation from Chinese to English. Lastly there's a simple essay to write, about 180 to 200 words. I remember having to write about job professions. The entire exam is 3 hours but most of our class finished it within a hour. Most of us got a middlish A. We're banking on good preparation this year to secure a good grade.

Last year I was frantically trying to find websites to help me but without success. But my teacher gave me past papers to do and I guess it was all I needed. There's a speciman paper on the website I think.

Only do Japanese taking into account your fluency, don't just take it for the sake of it!

Hope I helped.
Winter Frost
Hey

I am doing A Level Chinese this year. I'm British Born Chinese and have Chinese school every week in Birmingham for a couple of hours. I got an A* for GCSE and an A in AS last year.

Our teacher uses a Chinese booklet to teach us, I think it's called the UKCL book or something, but it's absolutely useless because it's a lot harder than the actual exam. I have coursework this year and I have to memorise about 800 words for an essay, but if I do well in it, it'll be 60% maximum of the 2nd paper. So I guess preparation is vital for unit 2. The comprehension is fine but the translation is English to Chinese, which I find hard.

However, the AS exam consists of matching sentences to a criteria like 'TV' or 'Weather' etc, a passage with comprehension, and a translation from Chinese to English. Lastly there's a simple essay to write, about 180 to 200 words. I remember having to write about job professions. The entire exam is 3 hours but most of our class finished it within a hour. Most of us got a middlish A. We're banking on good preparation this year to secure a good grade.

Last year I was frantically trying to find websites to help me but without success. But my teacher gave me past papers to do and I guess it was all I needed. There's a speciman paper on the website I think.

Only do Japanese taking into account your fluency, don't just take it for the sake of it!

Hope I helped.

thnx very much....you did help:smile:

can you please give me the link to the specimen paper please and do you think that you could have got an A in AS wihtout going to chinese school?

because i really want to self-study instead rather than going chinese school...what do you recommend?

thnx:smile:
Reply 14
i got a B, 2 marks to A
Reply 15
oh! remark it! I WAS 1 MARK OFF AN A AND I GOT 10 MARKS added.
Wow...I never knew there were so many if you from Brum learning chinese haha lol i thought i was te only one, but i stopped it when i was like 14 ish - just simply sarted to get in my way of studies and the teachers were rubbish. Most of them were volunteers and stuff. I would pick it up again now but i jst need to find the time - plus ive recently became interested in mandarin and japanese aswell. I only speak cantonese atm.
Reply 17
tokyorose888
thnx very much....you did help:smile:

can you please give me the link to the specimen paper please and do you think that you could have got an A in AS wihtout going to chinese school?

because i really want to self-study instead rather than going chinese school...what do you recommend?

thnx:smile:

i'm not WinterFrost but i can tell you it's possible. my whole chinese class didn't revise much (more like didn't) for AS chinese and nearly all of us ended up with As or high Bs.

for A2 most of us did revise tho, but even the people who used to go to local chinese schools got Bs.. the essay bit is really important, coz it's 60% of the paper. you can completely mess up the translation section and still get an A provided you do well in your essay and the reading section.
x_reggg
i'm not WinterFrost but i can tell you it's possible. my whole chinese class didn't revise much (more like didn't) for AS chinese and nearly all of us ended up with As or high Bs.

for A2 most of us did revise tho, but even the people who used to go to local chinese schools got Bs.. the essay bit is really important, coz it's 60% of the paper. you can completely mess up the translation section and still get an A provided you do well in your essay and the reading section.

thnx for the reply....but would you reccomend self study or chinese school? i.e. did you think that going to chinese school helped boost up your grade?:smile:....i really want an A grade at AS
Reply 19
im studying mandarin at chinese school in birmingham
my teacher didnt ask me to retake it, so i didnt
but now i really want to retake it and get a high A
may be u can go to chinese school and also self study
becasue i think sometime chinese school is helpful

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending