The Student Room Group

A level Chinese

Scroll to see replies

*is tearing her hair out*

It's March, and I've only just finished reading Spring by Ba Jin, and I have not a CLUE what I'm going to write about.

I've read the sample essay in the research based essay guide (luckily, one was actually about Spring), but i've also read the examiner's remarks, and lots of them say that there isn't enough research blah blah blah. But the sample essay in Spring didn't have any research either?!

I'm so confused about what I'm going to write about. I can't think of anything I can write about that I'll fit into 500-1000 words.

Do they expect you to quote from the book? Draw parallels between the book and society at that time? Draw parallels between the writer and the characters? Talk about the reflection of the author's family and the family in the book?

I just don't know, and I'm really panicking now, because I really want to get some form of a good mark.

And I don't even want to think about the reading and translation. How complicated will they be? I've been trying Justin Wu's book "Advanced chinese thingymabobber" And I can't do any of the harder reading questions... well, I can, but I can only get 6/10. And as for the translation.... I don't even want to go there. Are they likely to give words way "out there"? Because each time we do a translation, I always know the random words which they give you for vocab, but can't get any of the simple expressions... Any idea how I could practice? I've run out of translation material too.. Didn't have that much to begin with..
Reply 201
I honestly don't understand how all you BBC etc are complaining about this?!

I'm a complete non-native, English guy doing A-level Chinese and i'm predicted an A...

You guys think you have it hard?! lol :P x
0w3n-69
I honestly don't understand how all you BBC etc are complaining about this?!

I'm a complete non-native, English guy doing A-level Chinese and i'm predicted an A...

You guys think you have it hard?! lol :P x

Well, for me frankly it's because I know I'm not working hard enough on it. My French is far ahead of my Chinese, because of my extremely poor Chinese literacy. But it's always easier to complain (in English lol).
Reply 203
Do Unis count alevel chinese to there offers or UCAS points??
Reply 204
I'm gonna do the AS Chinese (New syll for Edexcel)
but i hvn't do the oral exam yet...maybe the end of this month

some of my fds choose to do the old one
but i found that the new one should be easier for me...
Does anyone know any websites that has some revision material?
I've got my AS oral exam this Sunday!
thanks
Reply 206
DarkWarrior
Does anyone know any websites that has some revision material?
I've got my AS oral exam this Sunday!
thanks

i only have the material from Edexcel website...
i downloaded the audio files for the oral exam......
This thread has been v. informative (:

I'm in AS year right now and I'm kicking myself because I SO SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THIS THIS YEAR! Why did I not think about it v___v;

So I might take AS for this next year instead. I'm wondering... is it a January exam? Or one for the Summer term?
And is speaking required for this? Or is it like GCSE where it's not?
(:
The Edexcel Written AS Paper is on Monday!
Does anyone know any sites with some useful vocab sheets?
I need to refresh my knowledge!
Cheers
Reply 209
DarkWarrior
The Edexcel Written AS Paper is on Monday!
Does anyone know any sites with some useful vocab sheets?
I need to refresh my knowledge!
Cheers

the textbook is the best for all the vocab you need...there's more than enough...too much lol!
thewonderbegins

So I might take AS for this next year instead. I'm wondering... is it a January exam? Or one for the Summer term?
And is speaking required for this? Or is it like GCSE where it's not?
(:

You'll be doing new spec. There's no January exam; only in June. Speaking is required for AS and A-level, as Unit 1: 6CN01.
0w3n-69
the textbook is the best for all the vocab you need...there's more than enough...too much lol!

What textbook?
I go Chinese classes, but its not Edexcel based.
Exams in 2 days!
Reply 212
DarkWarrior
What textbook?
Exams in 2 days!

soo...your taking the edexcel exam on monday..like me, but you haven't been using the course textbook??

How do you have any idea what you need for the exam then?? Does that me you do'nt know the exam layout aswell??
Reply 213
DarkWarrior
What textbook?
Exams in 2 days!

The textbook has everything you need...so if you haven't been using it, then thats a lil worrying....
Reply 214
Im doing AS and A2 this year..and i still havnt read any chinese texts for it.....
Reply 215
cwynter
Im doing AS and A2 this year..and i still havnt read any chinese texts for it.....

good luck...you'll need it!
I've never seen an Edexcel Chinese textbook, let alone own one!
I'm screw basically, AS is so much harder than GCSE!
cwynter

I'm going to look for the textbook at Borders or whatever tomorrow, then its going to be a whole days worth of cramming in the whole book into my brain!
Reply 218
DarkWarrior
I'm going to look for the textbook at Borders or whatever tomorrow, then its going to be a whole days worth of cramming in the whole book into my brain!

ermm if i can help you out at all, for me the most important think im revsing is education stuff and festivals...

in the textbook they focused alot on things like education systems, i had to do comparisons between in England and China....girls outshining boys...etc..

And festivals aswell, because i'm not from a chinese background at all...n theres so many dates, lunar calandar stuff, and stories of why they started to remember!
0w3n-69
ermm if i can help you out at all, for me the most important think im revsing is education stuff and festivals...

in the textbook they focused alot on things like education systems, i had to do comparisons between in England and China....girls outshining boys...etc..

And festivals aswell, because i'm not from a chinese background at all...n theres so many dates, lunar calandar stuff, and stories of why they started to remember!

I bought the book today, only 1 in stock in 1 bookstore!
When I got on the bus, I found out that it's in simplified Chinese!, so I can't even use it!
I'll be happy to help if you need help as well, but I need to know which vocab is going to be in it, which topics? because I can't revise all the Chinese I know

Quick Reply

Latest