Advicce on diet & workout. (kinda long) Watch

united_1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey guys,

Basically im at uni and need some help with a workout and diet plan. Right now i have just started jogging for about 5 days and it feels really good (immediately after the jog i feel like my heart has a knife through it.. is this normal or does it happen cos i have not jogged in ages)?? Basically i have a nice body. im not fat at all and not skinny. When i tense my abdominal area i can see a well defined and nice 4 pack and the other two are coming in. lol funny way of describing it. I basically walk as much as i can and eat fast food, but only once a day( even though this is very bad i know). i can easily do about 30 press ups. Thats all i really can tell you about my health and fitness. basically this link below shows the distance and plan im going to cover.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml#

What i want to do is stay aerobically fit (if thats the correct term). What i mean is have a healthy lung and heart with high oxygen intake, meaning that i can breath in more o2 and just genrally feel more healthy. Also i want to build some muscle and stay nicely toned all over my body. Im a begginer so all this is new but very motiviated to try everything. I cant afford to go to the gym and have two 10kg dumbells in my room (if that helps). next to my place, i have this 100m moderately steep incline of a walkway, which i could possibly use to run up, walk down and the run up again and so on??? any opinions?
Erm.. I suck at cooking even though i know its kinda easy, but can you get like ready made health meals (lol) that i like i can chuck into a wok or pan and cook it up?

Is there anyone who is/was in my shoes and can help me or direct me to a book and/or website i can use. I hope what i have told you help and let me know if i can tell you anymore info. i am very motivated to try and work my ass off to get fit and well toned. Ill spend money on good food but like i said, the gym might be an issue as im allways low on cash (rent,books, etccc. you know how it is). oh and i dont drink alcohole. i have like a mini fridge in my room so any advice on what i could stock up for like healthy snacks during the day??

Cheerz!
qayum
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
seems like your goign about it the right way enough, the fast food thing doesnt have to be a bad thing, i mean if you get a chicken breast fried and you take the skin away and just have the chicken its one of the biggest protein boosts you can get. And we all know protein is the building blocks of muscle. but generally you need to sort out your dieting properly, be more balanced etc etc. dnt know much bout that stuff. fast food EVERYDAY is not good and i think you need to cut to 1ce week.

Gym although not a must... it would be good to go twice a week. you need to make sure you work out every part properly. 10kg dumbells is fine at start. you need to do say 3 sets of 8 to 10 repetitions (depending on your strength) of exercises. theres numerous exercises you can do with dumbells... just go on google and research lol. once your comfortable with 3 sets of 8 to 10, increase to 3 sets of 15. then 4 sets of 8 to 10 then 4 sets of 15 etc etc. once you get to 5 sets, i think you should in crease the weight by 2 to 8 kg.and then do the same all over again.

in terms of aerobic, your going bout it right. its ok that it hurts ya heart cos you aint done this for awhile so it had to get used to it. DONT STOP. cos if you will youll just get back to square one, after a while youll get better and your fitness will increase. then you increase your distance or the amount of time you run for.

i hope this helps, this is just my own experience ... sorry i know its long
united_1987
Rep:
?
thanxs for the reply. so in terms of running i have the correct technique and idea... thats good.

in terms of what u were saying about the 3 sets of 8 to 10 repetitions, would those be like standrd bicep curls or something (like i do now) lay flat on the ground with eack 10kg dumbell in my hand and then lift them like im doing something similar to a bench press??
arias
Report 11 years ago
if you cant afford the gym then i'd think about getting serious about buying some shorts, running shoes, plain t shirt, bottle of water, mp3 player and go to your nearest park and start doing some running. i find it harder to motivate myself to go jogging outdoors than going to the gym (for me its free tho..) but you have the advantage of changing scenery and fresh air!

running will tone you up pretty quick.. running 5k three times a week is good! however it does require more than motivation. food is essential, if you don't have the energy to do it, your body will hate the exercise. learn to cook the basic stir fry and you'll not only save yourself money compared to buying ready meals, but also you can vary the veg you use a lot. with the stir fry you can then use chicken for protein. another thing you can do is buy steak, expensive but good nutrition. but the most important thing is fruit! when you feel slightly hungry, instead of reaching for the crisps/choc, grab an apple/grapes/banana. organic always tastes best. ditch fast food, be serious about it, dont buy chocolate/crisps etc. they'll only tempt you. its not bad now and again tho..

for toning, do your press ups properly (loads of websites on how to them well) until fatigue, do this every evening before bed and keep at it. you'll soon notice growth and increased upper body strength. you can also try crunches, curls with your dumbells (add the weights from one on to the other to increase weight)

and something thats very useful, join a club at uni. if theres anything like kickboxing/boxing/rowing/climbing or even a dance then not only will you get a strong cardio workout but also good for the ol' CV and enjoyment. which brings me on to the next bit, ENJOY IT! it feels great to know that you're getting fitter every time you do some exercise,just don't get tempted by junk food, you can live without it, many people do.

hope i've helped a little!
united_1987
Rep:
?
Oh that sounds good. i think nxt week ill buy ma fruite and start munchin on them. The crisps and buscuit are out the window.
Thanxs for the advice....keep posting as "every little helps" lol. Will post if i need more advice.

in terms of clubs, there is a brazillian ju-jitsu club (not in uni) for like £4.50 a sesion, so u reckon once a week is enoughh? Mrtial arts in genral is a awesome way to keep fit, sharp, toned and mentally healthy (not that im crazy in the head lol) . Any opinions?

Cheerz!
qayum
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
yeh i think the guy after me was dead right but you have to remember your begining. so you have to take it one step at a time. like the curls thing, you need to hone up before doing anything, so its like baby steps, not just you ANYBODY that start anew.

ju jitzu thingy... em... once a week hmmm... maybe twice a week with anything is better... cos your body dont forget.

to answer the bicep thingy... trust me google it, actually i just did it for you heres sutin good:http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html
that is gooooood.
united_1987
Rep:
?
Ok so last night i was thinking of a diet off the top of my head and this is what i came up with. This can be in any order. (need your advice if im getting the nessecary building blocks to help muscular growth and keeping it that way. Also feel free to add anything else i could eat/do. Also will this help with my joggin in terms of energy?)

Breaky - Cheerios or nutri grain bars??
Lunch - Some kind of salad and/or fish fingers??
Dinner - 1) Fried chicken (2 Pieces) with skin off with freshly made nan
2) Chicken Wings (6/7 pieces) grilled with freshly made nan
3) 6 Fish fingers with hovis best of both
4) 6 Fish fingers with hovis best of both - yes could eat this twice a week but not one day after another.
5) Some kind of vegetables(opinions?)
6) Some kind of vegtable / Maybe mixed with pot noodles??
7) Somthing i dont know what(opinions?)
During the day for snacks) Fruit, Water, Yazoo(allowed?), Sandwich but what kind with what in it?
Basically i have tried to incorporate minimal cooking as i suck at this, but try a include my meats. fish, salads, veges etc... just need the pros approval is the above and below is ok. All in all i would eat 3 times a day properly with probally a few light healthy snacks. Is that ok?

During the week my excercise will consist of (everyday unless stated otherwise):
Running) the link in first thread ( 3/4 times a week)
Weight / Increasing muscle / Toning) 3 Sets of 10 bicep curls on each hand. Push ups with one leg over the other and clenched fist. For flexibility a head to toe stretch as well as lying flat on the ground, palms behind waist and lift leg over head and touch toe on top of head on floor (know what i mean) and hold for 5 seconds. I can do this easily after a jog, but in the morning can only do like 3/4 of the way.

So thats what i think. Its not the most glamarous but i think it might work. What do you think?

Cheerz
polka_dott
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why the fish fingers? Couldn't you buy one of those little grills to cook chicken breasts? Just a little bit of effort would make a big difference to your diet

Wholegrain/wholemeal bread is best, as some kinds of breads are just coloured brown and aren't actually brown bread.

Pop Noodles are the worst invention ever - I used to love them too but they're full of crap and nowdays they taste awful because I'm eating better.

For breakfast something like porridge or museli would be better as cheerios and nutrigrain bars are processed and full of sugar.

I buy tinned salmon for £1 (proper brand) and tins of tuna to put on salads and in sandwiches and it tastes really good, so that could be a better alternative to fish fingers with salad or whatever.
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
:ditto:

Or meat can just be chucked in the oven (instead of buying a little grill), wrapped in foil if you prefer to stop it drying out.
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I meant those things you close over the chicken breast which you can make toasties with too.. I can't remember the name of it
~Kirsty~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by polka_dott)
I meant those things you close over the chicken breast which you can make toasties with too.. I can't remember the name of it
George foreman?

I knew what you meant... hehe!
united_1987
Rep:
?
oh i have heard the a george foreman is a students best friend. Defo will get one of those. WIcked!
Jono_Prior
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fit in the lungs?

Long term, if you have the willpower, would be to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.
This will make ya lungs more efficient.

But dont die of suffocation.
fabo89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hiit
united_1987
Rep:
?
Hiit is something i did back in my GCSE's days and absolutly loved it. I will hopefully get back on that once i can free up some time and reorganise to see when my spare time will be, cos as a uni student i am busy, but will sacrifice my party time and tv time to make sure i look good.

Anyway i did post a few threads up a diet i was thinking of implementing. Can anyone suggest me what i could add/takeaway from it. Ill paste it below again. I just really need someone to tell me what to eat properly so i can know where to start and begin shopping.

Breaky - Cheerios or nutri grain bars??
Lunch - Some kind of salad and/or fish fingers??
Dinner - 1) Fried chicken (2 Pieces) with skin off with freshly made nan
2) Chicken Wings (6/7 pieces) grilled with freshly made nan
3) 6 Fish fingers with hovis best of both
4) 6 Fish fingers with hovis best of both - yes could eat this twice a week but not one day after another.
5) Some kind of vegetables(opinions?)
6) Some kind of vegtable / Maybe mixed with pot noodles??
7) Somthing i dont know what(opinions?)
During the day for snacks) Fruit, Water, Yazoo(allowed?), Sandwich but what kind with what in it?
Basically i have tried to incorporate minimal cooking as i suck at this, but try a include my meats. fish, salads, veges etc... just need the pros approval is the above is ok. All in all i would eat 3 times a day properly with probally a few light healthy snacks. Is that ok?

Hope this does not sound like a childish diet plan, but as i hve never done this before it would be kool for some response.

Cheerz everyone.
polka_dott
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get rid of the fried chicken and fish fingers! Have proper meat - it doesn't take that much effort to cook chicken breast.

Porridge would be best for breakfast with a bit of fruit on the side. You can buy packs of porridge that can be done in the microwave.

Like what I said before ^ ^ , get rid of the processed stuff and have the wholemeal varieities of things.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.15%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.06%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.76%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.55%
There's nothing they could do (51)
28.49%

Watched Threads