The Student Room Group

Is £16K a year enough to live on for a family of 5?

This is after tax

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nope.
Reply 2
How much would you say one should earn to support a family of 5?
For a family of 5?

It obviously depends on where you live, but it would be extremely tight. 16k is around £1200 a month (Give or take) so rent and bills will obviously take up a big chunk of that.Then any car payments/travel payments. And obviously food.

I mean..i guess it's doable (providing you have cheap rent) but you'll be on supermarket basics food...it won't be a comfortable lifestyle especially if you have young children
No, it's barely enough for a single person, let alone a family of 5
Nah but if you did receive such a salary, there would be nothing to worry about since taxpayers would be coerced to fund your family bills.
(edited 6 years ago)
My mum earns £25,000 and can barely support 2. We had less than £150 to last us 20 days.
Original post by lauren_px
This is after tax

Absolutely no chance you would have to find out what benefits you could get along side it.
Is this a real life situation?
wow, im a single student and i barely get buy on 600 a month just for food....need to change my habits apparently :/ or was this just a one time thing?
Is this theoretical?
Reply 11
Original post by adamantacademic
Is this a real life situation?

Unfortunately :/ Neither of my parents have any qualifications so it’s extremely hard for them to look for a job. Well, my mum’s never worked a day in her life and isn’t planning to any time soon, and my dad works as a server in a restaurant. So you can see how our lifestyle is like, sadly
Reply 12
Original post by Texxers
Is this theoretical?

Real, unfortunately
Unfortunately :/ Neither of my parents have any qualifications so it’s extremely hard for them to look for a job. Well, my mum’s never worked a day in her life and isn’t planning to any time soon, and my dad works as a server in a restaurant. So you can see how our lifestyle is like, sadly

are you or siblings able to earn your own money and begin to support yourselves more eg pay for own luxuries and travel or contribute to rent
Original post by Realitysreflexx
wow, im a single student and i barely get buy on 600 a month just for food....need to change my habits apparently :/ or was this just a one time thing?

Yeah it was just this month with xmas and stuff...but we do kinda struggle.

Do you shop at Waitrose? £200 a month maximum should be enough for food
Reply 16
On the bright side, because there is more of you there is a higher potential of you getting more money later on in life I suppose
Reply 17
I’m act
Original post by fxlloutboyy
are you or siblings able to earn your own money and begin to support yourselves more eg pay for own luxuries and travel or contribute to rent

My siblings are too young to start earning and I’m in college atm so I don’t really have time to work apart from a few hours in the weekends, but even then it’s not enough. I’m actually so surprised we’ve been living on £16K our whole lives. This is exactly the kind of lifestyle I don’t want for myself when I’m older, which is why I plan on getting educated the best I can so I can obtain good qualifications and build a good life for myself
Reply 18

Wow £600 is a lot you know :’)
I’m act

My siblings are too young to start earning and I’m in college atm so I don’t really have time to work apart from a few hours in the weekends, but even then it’s not enough. I’m actually so surprised we’ve been living on £16K our whole lives. This is exactly the kind of lifestyle I don’t want for myself when I’m older, which is why I plan on getting educated the best I can so I can obtain good qualifications and build a good life for myself

Trust me, from experience, I don't know how but it's worked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending