Would this be rude? Watch

LillyLisaa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm hoping to go to America to work in a summer camp through Camp Leaders this summer but to get there I have to pay close to £1000 (including travel to required meetings and appointments ect.).
As my birthday is in a month I was thinking of setting up a justgiving page and asking for donations towards the cost instead of a present.
I was thinking of sharing it on all of my social media (well Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and/or sending close friends a message saying something like 'as you know I am trying to get to America this summer and it will be a really beneficial experience for my future career (I want to be a teacher) I would like to suggest the idea of giving me a donation to help me get there rather than giving me a physical gift. I am not saying you have to donate or get me anything at all of course, but I am just saying that if you were planning to get me anything then it would be extremely helpful and I would be really greatful if you could donate the money you would have spent to help me on my journey instead. Thank you so much for even considering this!'
What do you think? Would you react positively or negatively to a request like this and if you think I should when should I ask people?
Thank you.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LillyLisaa)
I'm hoping to go to America to work in a summer camp through Camp Leaders this summer but to get there I have to pay close to £1000 (including travel to required meetings and appointments ect.).
As my birthday is in a month I was thinking of setting up a justgiving page and asking for donations towards the cost instead of a present.
I was thinking of sharing it on all of my social media (well Facebook, Instagram and Twitter) and/or sending close friends a message saying something like 'as you know I am trying to get to America this summer and it will be a really beneficial experience for my future career (I want to be a teacher) I would like to suggest the idea of giving me a donation to help me get there rather than giving me a physical gift. I am not saying you have to donate or get me anything at all of course, but I am just saying that if you were planning to get me anything then it would be extremely helpful and I would be really greatful if you could donate the money you would have spent to help me on my journey instead. Thank you so much for even considering this!'
What do you think? Would you react positively or negatively to a request like this and if you think I should when should I ask people?
Thank you.
It depends. Money is a funny thing as some may take offence and some may not. Posting it on facebook and having a just giving account already set up could sound presumptuous. It depends how many people you have on facebook, how well you get on and how many presents you normally expect plus how much you need the money.

You could start putting feelers out by asking your friends or family a hypothetical before doing it. That way you are just fllowing their advice, whilst still making your needs known.

Perhaps a few lead up posts as to your plans, your eagerness to go and some subtle hints you are working hard to save up for the fees.

I dont think its worth losing friends over.

You could just contact the ones who bought you a gift last year and make them aware of your situation. Rather than presumethen put something in about it being completely voluntary, amount doesnt matter , you still appreciate their friendship and anything is gratefully received.

It just needs to be open, honest and polite.

If they are on your social media a lot, then they will know. If its student friends then I think its trickier as they have much less money.

It all depends on how many friends and how much you usually get. Tread carefully.

23/30
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
meh, I wouldn't massively like this as I don't like giving money, I prefer getting a gift and I think giving money puts on pressure to spend more because you can see the value easier... it also sounds a bit presumptious

that said, I think it's a reasonable thing to do... you can always just tell a few close friends you'd prefer donations to your trip and ask them to spread it around rather than assume people are buying gifts

also - unless you have rich friends, I'd assume you should just get a job to make the money
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Take out a loan or overdraft and fund your own mini gap-year. You can repay it from your Camp America wages. Or you know.. get a part time job like everyone else has to
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are better off asking for money and explaining what you want it for. JustGiving is designed as a charity platform, not for you to crowd fund your own purchases. Not to mention if anyone gave gift aid that'd be considered fraud
LillyLisaa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Acsel)
You are better off asking for money and explaining what you want it for. JustGiving is designed as a charity platform, not for you to crowd fund your own purchases. Not to mention if anyone gave gift aid that'd be considered fraud
you can set up croudfunding on it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Acsel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LillyLisaa)
you can set up croudfunding on it
That's not the point. It is designed primarily as a charity platform. That's what most people know it as. Second to that, crowdfunding is available but it's not aimed at people trying to make money for themselves. You have to scroll quite a way down the homepage before you get to anything that isn't charity or general crowdfunding (which is celebrating an occasion like a birthday).

It's not that you can't do it. It's that you don't send a good message by doing it. Most people do not consider JustGiving to be anything other than a charity platform, regardless of what it actually offers.

You're better off simply posting a message or telling people that you'd prefer money because of what you're saving for. You get all the money that way, nobody has to go through any hoops and you don't lose out from people who think you're abusing a charity platform to make money for yourself.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't Just Giving and similar charge for things like this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Chemistry Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (263)
31.92%
The paper was reasonable (405)
49.15%
Not feeling great about that exam... (92)
11.17%
It was TERRIBLE (64)
7.77%

Watched Threads