Should I call in sick on boxing day? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I work in retail in a store which does no sale just reduces some crappy items no one buys. I'm on a 3-7 shift for boxing day and I have worked boxing day for the last three years there and it is quiet compared to other shops. It is so quiet they have reduced opening hours as they were making losses.

My problem is I am unable to get home from my shift as buses finishes at 4/5 which means my shift will be quite quiet as lots of people use public transport. I would have to use 3/4 of my wage from that day on a taxi. I have no loyalty to the store as staff are not appreciated or treated fairly by managers and students are taken advantage of and I get paid peanuts. I have tried for four months to change my weekly cintracted hours to an earlier time so this wouldn't be an issue but have had no help

Should I call in sick? I have a convincing reason just concerned about the repercussions as most likely they'll think I'm faking.
k0by
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just do it
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Its only 4 hours, thats nothing!

But in the meantime, look for another job if you rent happy
Zarek
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What about your contractual obligation to your employer. This is the attitude which drives Wagamama managers to distraction.
ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I work in retail in a store which does no sale just reduces some crappy items no one buys. I'm on a 3-7 shift for boxing day and I have worked boxing day for the last three years there and it is quiet compared to other shops. It is so quiet they have reduced opening hours as they were making losses.

My problem is I am unable to get home from my shift as buses finishes at 4/5 which means my shift will be quite quiet as lots of people use public transport. I would have to use 3/4 of my wage from that day on a taxi. I have no loyalty to the store as staff are not appreciated or treated fairly by managers and students are taken advantage of and I get paid peanuts. I have tried for four months to change my weekly cintracted hours to an earlier time so this wouldn't be an issue but have had no help

Should I call in sick? I have a convincing reason just concerned about the repercussions as most likely they'll think I'm faking.

Given what you've written they'll definitely think you're faking. Expect to be first in line for redundancy should it visit your store.. and perhaps them being stricter with you over minor infractions...

But if you ring in and follow protocol I doubt they can sack you for it
doodle_333
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh most places in retail would fire people who ring out on boxing day. You think any other staff want to be There? Of course not.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is there no one who can give you a lift back?
spotify95
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wouldn't really want to work my Boxing Day, especially if I only get 1/4 of the time in money due to having to rely on a taxi. Remember, most taxi's will usually charge 1.5x, or even 2x, the amount they normally would due to it being Boxing Day/the Christmas period.

So long as you work as per normal as of 12/27 then I doubt that phoning in sick on Boxing Day (today) would be that much of an issue.
Muserock
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would ask you to consider what impact you not being in will have on your colleagues. They will have to cover for you which I personally would feel guilty about.
12ksmith
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zarek)
What about your contractual obligation to your employer. This is the attitude which drives Wagamama managers to distraction.
If you’re ‘ill’, then you’re ‘ill’. Not much a Wagamama manager can do about it.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 12ksmith)
If you’re ‘ill’, then you’re ‘ill’. Not much a Wagamama manager can do about it.
Although one of the reasons organisations put in place intolerant disciplinary policies is the type of abuse that the OP was proposing.
12ksmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zarek)
Although one of the reasons organisations put in place intolerant disciplinary policies is the type of abuse that the OP was proposing.
Yes, but how can an organisation tell the difference between real illness and a hoax? You cannot discipline someone for being ill.
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 12ksmith)
Yes, but how can an organisation tell the difference between real illness and a hoax? You cannot discipline someone for being ill.
In fact, with some provisos, you can. It is about failure of the person to fulfill their contractual obligations and the cause can be irrelevant.
12ksmith
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zarek)
In fact, with some provisos, you can. It is about failure of the person to fulfill their contractual obligations and the cause can be irrelevant.
Is it right to discipline someone for being ill though?
Zarek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I do not believe it is right. But undoubetely one of the drivers is people pulling sickies. Even here I think the best organisations address this by a good selection process and creating an atmosphere which promotes good attendance.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
But in this case, it would sound suspicious if the OP did call in sick.
Starlight22
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you pull the sicky in the end?
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OP, grow the balls to quit your job or turn up and do your shift. Don't be a dishonest, weaselly ****.

People like you are why that manager at Wagamama felt the need to threaten his employees that they'd be disciplined for calling in sick.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads