Should there be a smacking ban? Watch

Anonymous,
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Is it cruel for parents to hit their kids do you think? Or is it just discipline?
Natasha X
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
if its a smack for swearing, biting, spitting despite constantly being told not to, then its discipline but if a parent smacks because a child is crying or accidently broke something then i think its abuse.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it's rather obviously a perfectly normal and natural method of discipline.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not sure where I stand on this.

I don't think smacking is an effective form of discipline at all. Chats about consequences, with respect and maybe compromise, are better, in my opinion.

I'm not sure that it can be banned though. How would that be put into practice, really?

Really, there's a difference between a simple 'smack' and 'abuse'; the former COULD be considered ok, but I'm not so keen on the idea.
Sidhe
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd say leave it up to the parents. So no I don't think there should be a smacking ban.
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In principle, I think smacking is fine as a form of discipline should the parents choose to, but that's probably because I was brought up by parents who did. It is however being abused by a lot of parents where they smack children for no reason, bordering on domestic violence. But I agree with cpj1987; I can't see how this can be enforced, really. The child isn't likely to report their parents and if it's done privately at home there's no proof.
Riddy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z03LoGqUs LMAO the 1920's didn't think so.
death.drop
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
the thing is with smacking your kids, some parents use it as a proper and effective method of discipline, others don't. it's the same as any other kind of punishment.
my mum smacked me once when i was little, on the hand. from then on all she had to say was 'if you don't behave i'm going to get the wooden spoon out and spank your bottom' and i'd behave perfectly.
my step dad however, found that smacking his kid worked once so then he used to do it all the time for any little misdemeanor. as a result my step brothers are completely messed up (one's actually got a lot better since having an accidental baby but thats not the point). I remember once my step dad literally laying into my step brother and my step brother was crying his eyes out, huddled into a ball. even at that age (6?) i could tell it wasn't doing any good.
Riddy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sidhe)
I'd say leave it up to the parents. So no I don't think there should be a smacking ban.
They currently say you are allowed to hit kids but not leave a mark..so hit them on the head Nah like you said it should be up to the parents. I like your sig btw.
Arminius
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
No, discipline is essential and smacking is a punishment that is needed.
RK
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
I think it's rather obviously a perfectly normal and natural method of discipline.
Strangely I agree with you

Smacking should be an option left up to parents to use if they want to.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was brought up like that, and whilst I don't think it should be banned, I also don't really think it was that effective. I don't remember ever fearing being smacked, I just remember feeling really resentful and angry about it. If I were my parents (but knowing me as I know myself) I would have opted for the "sitting on your own to think about things" punishment, rather than smacking - I personally think that would have had more of an effect on me.

I guess it's different for different kids.

I also wish corporal punishment could be brought back in schools.. but I don't think it'll ever happen, and I don't really think it would work if they tried to implement it. I'm not sure many people share my views on thinking it should be brought back, though...
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Same again. It can be hard enough to reason with some adults, let alone kids!
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was smacked as a child, and it didn't do me a bit of good, I don't think. I wouldn't hit my kids.

However - provided no damage is done, I think banning is a little too far. Where do you draw the line? Parents need to be able to restrain their children, and some kids probably do deserve smacking (a lot more than I did )
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Smacking shouldn't be banned, no. Ditto to what Lib said.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Smacking shouldn't be banned, no. Ditto to what Lib said.
Do you remember Nat, the great long debate you and I had on this just a few months ago?

We couldn't agree then, and I know that we won't agree now - but we came out of it with a great deal of respect for each other's views, regardless.
dancingshoes10
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nah it makes kids behave themselves. Whenever I see kids behaving badly in public I always think they good do with a bit of harsh discipline. Did me good
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Riddy)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z03LoGqUs LMAO the 1920's didn't think so.
Thats aweful:mad: Parents would get reported for abuse for doing that today.
ticos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't see how parents can smack their kids. I'd just feel so quilty.
Also, it's not a very good message to send them is it? A small chid might read it as 'it's ok to hit someone when you don't like what they're doing'.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 11 years ago
Here's the debate I was referring to. It lasted for 24 pages and contributions to it covered the period from February to May, 2007!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=351293
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads