The Student Room Group

how will more male lizards than females lead to a lower reproduction rate

if at first males and female lizards where equal then the temperature increase favours male lizards to hatch, so male lizards will increase okay. how does this lead to lower reproduction rate? Can't the female mate with more than 1 male lizard? I would've assumed they'd be no change
Original post by sarah99630
if at first males and female lizards where equal then the temperature increase favours male lizards to hatch, so male lizards will increase okay. how does this lead to lower reproduction rate? Can't the female mate with more than 1 male lizard? I would've assumed they'd be no change

A male lizard can perform with many females, but a female can only have one set of young or eggs at any one time. That would mean the limiting factor is females and you need a larger proportion of females to males for maximum births. Uf you had an oversupply of males they become surplus to requirements as their task can be performed with fewer males.

Imagine it is humans.

A man could impregnate a woman every day, but a woman can only be pregnant or not and she will carry that child for 9 months.

That means 1 man to 270 women Potentially 270 pregnancies over a year.

If you had the reverse of 270 men to 1 woman, then she can only be in a state of pregnancy or not. Potentially 1 pregnancy every 270 days. the surplus men are not needed.

28/30
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
A male lizard can perform with many females, but a female can only have one set of young or eggs at any one time. That would mean the limiting factor is females and you need a larger proportion of females to males for maximum births. Uf you had an oversupply of males they become surplus to requirements as their task can be performed with fewer males.

Imagine it is humans.

A man could impregnate a woman every day, but a woman can only be pregnant or not and she will carry that child for 9 months.

That means 1 man to 270 women Potentially 270 pregnancies over a year.

If you had the reverse of 270 men to 1 woman, then she can only be in a state of pregnancy or not. Potentially 1 pregnancy every 270 days. the surplus men are not needed.

28/30

Ahh yes!! Thank you very much for your detailed response. I now understand it perfectly. Much appreciation! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending