jmushtaq
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
We have an object that is raised 45m above the ground. It takes 1.8s for it to fall from rest to the ground. The mass of the object is 90kg. What is the resultant force by which the object hits the ground? Assume air resistance and friction is negligible.
username3154862
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jmushtaq)
We have an object that is raised 45m above the ground. It takes 1.8s for it to fall from rest to the ground. The mass of the object is 90kg. What is the resultant force by which the object hits the ground? Assume air resistance and friction is negligible.
What have you tried so far?
sarah99630
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think u use suvat equations to find acceleration. U have s=45, u=0, t= 1.8 a=?
Then resultant force = mass × acceleration.
confirm the answer.
Eimmanuel
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

There is missing info in the question. When the object hits the ground with certain speed, would the object rebounded and what is the contact time between the ground and object?
jmushtaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Relentas)
What have you tried so far?
This is what I've done:

s=ut+(at^2/2)
a= 2s/t^2
a= 2 x 45 x 1.8^2
a= 292 m/s^2
F=ma
F= 90 x 292
F= 26.3 kN

My friend suggested another answer:

GPE=mgh
GPE= 90 x 9.81 x 45
GPE= 3.97 x 10^4 J
W= Fx
F= W/x
F= 3.97 x 10^4 / 45
F= 883 N

I don't know which one of us is correct or if both our us are incorrect.
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is what I've done:

s=ut+(at^2/2)
a= 2s/t^2
a= 2 x 45 x 1.8^2
a= 292 m/s^2
F=ma
F= 90 x 292
F= 26.3 kN

GPE=mgh
GPE= 90 x 9.81 x 45
GPE= 3.97 x 10^4 J
W= Fx
F= W/x
F= 3.97 x 10^4 / 45
F= 883 N

I would say both are incorrect, as there are missing info.
jmushtaq
Rep:
?
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
I would say both are incorrect, as there are missing info.
Can you please explain why the two methods are incorrect?
username3154862
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is what I've done:

s=ut+(at^2/2)
a= 2s/t^2
a= 2 x 45 x 1.8^2
a= 292 m/s^2
F=ma
F= 90 x 292
F= 26.3 kN

GPE=mgh
GPE= 90 x 9.81 x 45
GPE= 3.97 x 10^4 J
W= Fx
F= W/x
F= 3.97 x 10^4 / 45
F= 883 N

Ok, Imma put this out there.
You know the velocity of its fall at the beginning is 25ms-1. (v=d/t, v=45/1.8)
You want that to be converted to acceleration. so div by time again. (a=v/t, a=25/1.8 = 13.8888..)
A= 13.888888ms-2......
which is also equal to the gravity.
(The acceleration isn't 9.8ms-2. - doesn't specify that you're on earth or what the gravity is, it asks you to calculate it.)

From there I assume you do what you did, sub that in.
F=ma
F=90*13.8888888 = 1250N of force.
My working to me looks right, do you agree or am I missing something, or are we both missing something? :P

Edit: I'm sure that's right. It has to be imo.
jmushtaq
Rep:
?
Ok, Imma put this out there.
You know the velocity of its fall at the beginning is 25ms-1. (v=d/t, v=45/1.8)
You want that to be converted to acceleration. so div by time again. (a=v/t, a=25/1.8 = 13.8888..)
A= 13.888888ms-2......
which is also equal to the gravity.
(The acceleration isn't 9.8ms-2. - doesn't specify that you're on earth or what the gravity is, it asks you to calculate it.)

From there I assume you do what you did, sub that in.
F=ma
F=90*13.8888888 = 1250N of force.
My working to me looks right, do you agree or am I missing something, or are we both missing something? :P

Edit: I'm sure that's right. It has to be imo.
It's on Earth. Would your answer still be correct?
username3154862
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If it was on earth then no, it wouldn't be correct. Unless the person chucked the ball/threw it downwards.
The gravity on earth varies up to around 0.5%, so it's stronger/lighter in some places, 9.8+/- 0.5% <> 14.
username3154862
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Can you show the question in full? It doesn't say it's on earth, at least from what you've wrote on the thread.
jmushtaq
Rep:
?
If it was on earth then no, it wouldn't be correct. Unless the person chucked the ball/threw it downwards.
The gravity on earth varies up to around 0.5%, so it's stronger/lighter in some places, 9.8+/- 0.5% <> 14.
Would it just be F=mg then assuming g is 9.8?
username3154862
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would it just be F=mg then assuming g is 9.8?
It must say on the question that it's on earth/what the gravity is, if not then you would be required to calculate it.
In all sciences the never give you info that you don't need - (for the most part at least.)
jmushtaq
Rep:
?
It must say on the question that it's on earth/what the gravity is, if not then you would be required to calculate it.
In all sciences the never give you info that you don't need - (for the most part at least.)
Okay, thanks for the help
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This is what I've done:

s=ut+(at^2/2)
a= 2s/t^2
a= 2 x 45 x 1.8^2
a= 292 m/s^2
F=ma
F= 90 x 292
F= 26.3 kN

GPE=mgh
GPE= 90 x 9.81 x 45
GPE= 3.97 x 10^4 J
W= Fx
F= W/x
F= 3.97 x 10^4 / 45
F= 883 N

Can you please explain why the two methods are incorrect?

This is what I've done:

s=ut+(at^2/2)

a= 2s/t^2

a= 2 x 45 x 1.8^2

a= 292 m/s^2

F=ma

F= 90 x 292

F= 26.3 kN

….

45 m is the distance the object falls not the distance that the object has “fallen” when it is in contact with the ground. The same reason is for your friend’s answer. But there is another reason.

…..

GPE=mgh

GPE= 90 x 9.81 x 45

GPE= 3.97 x 10^4 J

W= Fx

F= W/x

F= 3.97 x 10^4 / 45

F= 883 N

Another reason is that 883 N is just the weight of the object (W = mg = 90 × 9.81 = 883 N)
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

As I mention there are missing info or the phrasing of the question seems a bit odd and it seems that you refuse to accept it

I would elaborate further.
I assume that the object in on Earth surface.
As the object is raised to 45 m above the ground, 1.8 s is too short for the object fall 45 m under constant acceleration.

The resultant force is different for a rebounded case and non-rebounded case.

Assume that there is no rebound, the question did not specify the time of contact between the object and the ground, instead, it states “It takes 1.8 s for it to fall from rest to the ground.”

As I mentioned it is too short of time for the object to undergo free fall from 45 m above the ground. We can calculate the time of free fall by using

s = ½ at2

which would give time of free fall to be 3.0 s.

It seems that 1.8 s is the time of contact between the object and the ground rather than the time that the object falls from rest to the ground.
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you rephrase the question, I would suggest that you post the original question.

If this is the original question, I would say it is a bad one.
username3154862
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Eimmanuel)
As I mention there are missing info or the phrasing of the question seems a bit odd and it seems that you refuse to accept it

I would elaborate further.
I assume that the object in on Earth surface.
As the object is raised to 45 m above the ground, 1.8 s is too short for the object fall 45 m under constant acceleration.

The resultant force is different for a rebounded case and non-rebounded case.

Assume that there is no rebound, the question did not specify the time of contact between the object and the ground, instead, it states “It takes 1.8 s for it to fall from rest to the ground.”

As I mentioned it is too short of time for the object to undergo free fall from 45 m above the ground. We can calculate the time of free fall by using

s = ½ at2

which would give time of free fall to be 3.0 s.

It seems that 1.8 s is the time of contact between the object and the ground rather than the time that the object falls from rest to the ground.
I agree, the wording is poor.

I'm pretty sure it's wanting you to calculate the force of gravity - not assume it's on earth hence why you're given the time.
Think it's wanting you to think it's a non rebound. - don't know if you learn about rebound at AS level. I'm doing higher RN so..

I mentioned the bit in bold in another post of mines, mentioned the acceleration must be 13.8888 (gravity = 13.8888) or that an external force was applied to the object from above. - though, if from rest then external force wouldn't be accounted for so there'd be a difference in gravity from earths.

The time of contact between ball and ground would be 1.8 seconds in, and with no rebound then it'd stay there for the rest of time.

I think at the end you're a tad confused maybe, if it was the time of contact between ball and ground then that'd be weird as the question's asking about the force of impact. (may just be reading what you're saying wrong tho)
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

I'm pretty sure it's wanting you to calculate the force of gravity - not assume it's on earth hence why you're given the time.
I doubt so.

....I think at the end you're a tad confused maybe, if it was the time of contact between ball and ground then that'd be weird as the question's asking about the force of impact. (may just be reading what you're saying wrong tho)
To calculate impact force, it needs time of contact or what is known as duration of impact.
Eimmanuel
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I agree, the wording is poor.

Think it's wanting you to think it's a non rebound. - don't know if you learn about rebound at AS level. I'm doing higher RN so..

I mentioned the bit in bold in another post of mines, mentioned the acceleration must be 13.8888 (gravity = 13.8888) or that an external force was applied to the object from above. - though, if from rest then external force wouldn't be accounted for so there'd be a difference in gravity from earths.

The time of contact between ball and ground would be 1.8 seconds in, and with no rebound then it'd stay there for the rest of time.

I think at the end you're a tad confused maybe, if it was the time of contact between ball and ground then that'd be weird as the question's asking about the force of impact. (may just be reading what you're saying wrong tho)
Watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yvo0sXCJg3k
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.13%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.51%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.03%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.41%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.94%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.94%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.92%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise