The Student Room Group

Not Eligible for Full Funding

Hi everybody!
So, I am an undergraduate this year and have been going round in circles with Student Finance assessment of my application which I sent around September. Fast forward, it is now December. I have received an e-mail saying that I am not eligible for "full" funding as I have used up all the years however I am still eligible for a maintenance loan. I previously studied Nursing which I did not receive "full" funding either as I did not apply for tuition loan. I did not complete my Nursing course due to mitigating circumstances and therefore dropped out. Now, I am starting a new course at a different University I would have thought Student Finance would aid me with tuition loan as I did not apply for it before.

I work part time earning about 500 per month. My parents are on low income and are on debt management. There is no way for me to pay my tuition in full nor will pay on time each payment plan due to our financial circumstances.

Is there anyway for Student Finance to re-assess my application? Could I loan for tuition instead of getting maintenance loan as I have not had previous tuition funding before?

Many Thanks!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MissusMae
Hi everybody!
So, I am an undergraduate this year and have been going round in circles with Student Finance assessment of my application which I sent around September. Fast forward, it is now December. I have received an e-mail saying that I am not eligible for "full" funding as I have used up all the years however I am still eligible for a maintenance loan. I previously studied Nursing which I did not receive "full" funding either as I did not apply for tuition loan. I did not complete my Nursing course due to mitigating circumstances and therefore dropped out. Now, I am starting a new course at a different University I would have thought Student Finance would aid me with tuition loan as I did not apply for it before.

I work part time earning about 500 per month. My parents are on low income and are on debt management. There is no way for me to pay my tuition in full nor will pay on time each payment plan due to our financial circumstances.

Is there anyway for Student Finance to re-assess my application? Could I loan for tuition instead of getting maintenance loan as I have not had previous tuition funding before?

Many Thanks!

Student finance base it on how many years you've previously studied for. It doesn't matter whether you applied for a tuition fee loan before.

If you didn't complete your previous course due to mitigating circumstances, you can submit evidence of this and you might be able to get an extra years funding that way.
Hi MissusMae,

Tiger Rag has correctly advised that we look at all previous study regardless of whether you had a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) or not.

We calculate your entitlement for funding by looking at the length of your new course so for example if you were starting a three year degree this would be 3, then we would add an additional year to this and deduct any years previous study. So for example if you had two years previous study it would be (3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years full entitlement remaining). They award remaining entitlement to the end of the course towards the beginning which is why you aren't entitled to the fees for your first year.

We can review this as Tiger Rag said you can submit evidence for any mitigating circumstances to apply for what we call Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR).

Mitigating circumstances we can consider for CPR are as follows:-

* Illness
* Bereavement
* Family crisis
* Pregnancy
* Unavoidable caring responsibility

The list is not exhaustive so we can consider other reasons. Evidence can include:-

* Medical evidence from a GP on headed paper
* Letter from University/College on headed paper
* Letter from Social Services on headed paper
* Letter from clergy or professional person on headed paper
* Death Certificate and/or
* A Birth Certificate

We recommend that any letters sent are signed and dated and that they confirm the reason why you couldn't continue with your studies and when this took place. Send in a covering letter from yourself to detail the mitigating circumstances you want to apply for CPR for and include your Customer Reference Number on this.

We are currently taking four working days for processing CPR evidence. If it is accepted we can look to adding your TFL to your entitlement and we will send you out a new Notification of Entitlement letter to confirm this.

Thanks

Laura

Quick Reply

Latest