The Student Room Group

Nice vs naive?

I think theres a fine line between helping others and doing good without expecting anything back, vs being naive and caring for others even when they don’t reciprocate it back, and instead take advantage of your kindness. I’m interested to know where some of you draw the line between the two
Original post by Anonymous
I think theres a fine line between helping others and doing good without expecting anything back, vs being naive and caring for others even when they don’t reciprocate it back, and instead take advantage of your kindness. I’m interested to know where some of you draw the line between the two

They are two different things. the operative thing being naivete. What point are you trying to make?
Reply 2
Being naive is when you don’t realise someone’s cheating you somehow. Being nice is realising and then either challenging them on it or deciding it’s not worth the bother.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
They are two different things. the operative thing being naivete. What point are you trying to make?

This is what I think OP meant - what is the difference between being kind to someone and not expecting anything back (being nice), and being unknowingly taken advantage of by others for your kindness (naive) e.g. by them never returning your kindness or always expecting you to sort their problems and giving nothing back to you.
The difference is whether you're aware of the situation or not. Someone who is naive thinks they're in a mutual friendship/respected/whatever whereas the other person just does a nice thing because they want to, accepting that nothing may e appreciated or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending