Black box unplugged

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Tg231
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Right so I have unplugged my black box and drove quite a lot as I work delivering and just generally doing lifts where I canny be ducked to stay in a 20 and at times where I want to get home quick. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and what happens after 1 year do they check your mot mileage or do they just give you a ncd and happy days? My millage says about 5000 on the box but Has gone up by about 8000 on the car. if someone could reply fairly quick need to think of something aha
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
As long as you know that completely violates every term of your insurance to the point you’re basically uninsured... if the company find out they’ll likely revoke your policy.

Better hope you park it in exactly the same spot whenever you plug it back in....
Tg231
Rep:
?
Yeh mate I'm not stupid like I go back to the exact spot after every time I'm just worried that they might check at the end or something
Paulington
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Since you have a black box, I'm going to assume you're a newer driver (within 2 years of passing your test).

First of all, unless your car is insured for social, domestic, pleasure and business then you are already invalidating your insurance just by using the car in a business matter. That even includes doing "lifts" for mates, as you're using the car to earn money. If you are caught doing this you will lose your licence and suffer a very hefty fine.

So let's assume that's not true (I hope) and that you do have SDP+B insurance, every time you do that (unplug your black box) you are invalidating your insurance and as Anonymous said, driving without insurance effectively. If you have an accident, you will immediately lose your licence, have to take an extended retest and pay a shedload of money for the privilege.

But let's see, what if it's worse than that? Let's say you're doing that and you hit someone on the road, perfectly possible right? I mean you're delivering stuff so let's say you just glance at the parcel for some reason and bang, you knock someone down whilst uninsured. Not only do you suffer all of the above, you also end up being sued in court by your insurance company for every single penny they pay out to the person you hit, which could easily be in the hundreds of thousands when legal fees are included, do you have hundreds of thousands to pay this? Not to mention the fact you just knocked someone down driving uninsured means you will not have affordable insurance again for years upon years after your driving ban ends.

Do I really have to tell you how dumb this is? You say you are not stupid, but you are doing something so monumentally stupid I find that hard to believe so I will spell it out. You are risking not only your licence, but a lot of money, being sued in the courts, being unable to drive for well over a decade and potentially being in a lifelong legal debt just because you can't be bothered sticking to 20 in a 20?

Please, grow up, or pay more for non black-box insurance if you must.
Tg231
Rep:
?
Yeh I understand what your saying mate and I realise what I am doing wrong but Tbf if u was in the same situation as me you would do the same u know like don't tell me to grow up I thought having one would be fine but it's not it ducking horrible but there's nothing I can do now as I've been driving for about 7 months, fair I understand what ur saying that's why I wanna stop just trying to find out what I can do if they do check the millage difference!! And the only reason I do it is cuz I am a very good driver I don't tell anyone else how to unplug it or they would probably all be stupid with it !
Paulington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
Yeh I understand what your saying mate and I realise what I am doing wrong but Tbf if u was in the same situation as me you would do the same u know like don't tell me to grow up I thought having one would be fine but it's not it ducking horrible but there's nothing I can do now as I've been driving for about 7 months, fair I understand what ur saying that's why I wanna stop just trying to find out what I can do if they do check the millage difference!! And the only reason I do it is cuz I am a very good driver I don't tell anyone else how to unplug it or they would probably all be stupid with it !
You are not a good driver because you are driving uninsured, do you understand that? It doesn't matter if you are RoSPA Gold and IAM certified, accidents happen and you will be uninsured when it happens.

Funnily enough I was in a similar situation to you, I was forced to use a bike with a 33bhp restriction for two years after passing my A2 licence and it sucked ass, but I rode it out for two years because it meant my insurance was valid and then I got a more powerful bike when my licence upgraded automatically.

Will they check? Maybe. What will they do? Who knows? They might do nothing, they might report you to the police for driving without insurance or cancel your insurance, making it hard to get insurance in the future.

Assuming you're a young chap, age 15-19, you are at triple the risk of dying or causing a fatality in a motor accident (RAC Foundation). The odds are that you will write off your car this year and I hope no-one is between you and whatever you plough through whilst you're driving uninsured.

There is no good answer here, nothing works out well for you and a lot of things work out terribly, why not just drive within the terms of your box or get different insurance?
Tg231
Rep:
?
To late bud hah no need to ****ing cry about it just asking u for help not a lecture on what's gonna happen when I die bcos I've unplugged my box
Tg231
Rep:
?
Asked a question didn't expect this? your acting like ur my mum
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
Asked a question didn't expect this? your acting like ur my mum
You asked for the opinion of TSR users; you got just that!
Paulington
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Probably, go tell your parents that you're regularly driving uninsured and see how they react. I would wager the reaction would be similar, because they are older and mature enough to see the big picture about what you're doing.

You came here looking for an answer to a question you'd already answered in your head and so the hoped for result was validation, instead you got the reality of what you're doing shoved in your face and that's fine if you aren't ready for or looking for that. So long as you understand that the risks you are taking are huge and the police nor the courts will take any pity on you when you are caught doing it.

Have a wonderful rest of boxing day. .
Tg231
Rep:
?
Mate didn't ask u for an essay just a answer! Oh well fairs cheers for ur essay bud
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
Yeh mate I'm not stupid like I go back to the exact spot after every time I'm just worried that they might check at the end or something
You realise the black box is always on, even when the car isn't on; as it's connected to the battery. :facepalm:

You're going to get your policy revoked, when you get found out eventually.

When you get into a crash, you will technically have no insurance policy active if you have the black box unplugged, giving you 6 points on your licence.

And if you've obtained your licence within the past 2 years, that means a lovely ban. One which you deserve for being a fool.
Spoiler:
Show

This thread should be in the Cars and motoring forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there
Tg231
Rep:
?
Cheers bays didn't answer my question but thanks
LRxS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
Dear god you are an IDIOT. I’ve been driving since June, on a black box, and while it sucks, I’m not going to break the law so I can get somewhere 2 minutes quicker. Better late than, well, late.

Sorry to break it to you but you AREN’T a good driver (exhibit A: you speed, exhibit B: you’ve been driving SEVEN MONTHS. Not exactly a trained traffic cop) and you ARE being stupid with it. Incredibly so.

People like you are the reason insurance is so expensive for new drivers.

Also Paulington I would like to rep you 300 times for your post on this thread, but PRSOM is stopping me.
LRxS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
To late bud hah no need to ****ing cry about it just asking u for help not a lecture on what's gonna happen when I die bcos I've unplugged my box
You’re asking us for help to what? Break the law more effectively?

I hope when you do wreck your car you don’t hit somebody else.
Tg231
Rep:
?
How is it for you your black box ?
LRxS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
How is it for you your black box ?
Mine? Oh, it’s utter sh*te. But I understand why companies expect new drivers to have them, and I’ll put up with it for a couple of years if it means I can afford to have insurance. Plus, by driving well on the box, I’ll get a 30% discount next year.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
Right so I have unplugged my black box and drove quite a lot as I work delivering and just generally doing lifts where I canny be ducked to stay in a 20 and at times where I want to get home quick. I'm just wondering if anyone else has done this and what happens after 1 year do they check your mot mileage or do they just give you a ncd and happy days? My millage says about 5000 on the box but Has gone up by about 8000 on the car. if someone could reply fairly quick need to think of something aha
Put it this way, you're driving around uninsured. 3000 miles is a serious amount to deceive the insurance company of.

When your policy ends and someone comes to remove the box, what exactly do you think they're going to do when they find your mileage is understated by several thousands?

You're a monumental moron, you're not a good driver, and you shouldn't be on the roads if you can't afford insurance. Idiot.

It's people like you who cause our premiums to be as high as they are - YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tg231)
Mate I don't want to lecture because you've already had that but I guarantee that if after only seven months you're bold enough to say you're a "very good driver" your ability is nowhere near what you think it is. I had a black box in my first year, like everyone else I just sucked it up. The real skill with driving comes with thinking ahead and identifying risks before they develop, not making the car go fast; anyone can do that.

The speed limits are there for a reason, often times it isn't even appropriate to do the speed limit - for example, I won't drive past a school at 30 as the children leave. The chance of them entering the road without checking is just too high.

To answer your question, your insurance company will know. Every time you have an MOT the mileage is recorded, there will be a rather large discrepancy between your official mileage and what your black box has recorded. A few miles is understandable, but anything more than that is suspicious.

If you have an accident, just think of the headaches you will cause for the law-abiding drivers.
Tg231
Rep:
?
Yeh fair one if I was to crash it's not like I would claim **** that but yeh sound I've stopped doing it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (91)
61.07%
No (58)
38.93%

Watched Threads