The Student Room Group

Could you guys sign this parliament petition on free speech suppression in unis

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ByEeek
There is no petition text. What are we signing for?

Assuming it is about free speech in universities, why do we need to sign a petition for action, when plans are already in place?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42481329

So happy the government is actually planning to do something about this. If the faculties are too spineless to ensure that speakers can address students who want to listen then clearly someone else has to do something.
This is sheer political opportunism, based on feeding into the 'pc gone mad' narrative without evidence to actually back it up. Incidents of student unions banning speakers are exceedingly rare, yet the press and much of this forum makes out like it is happening all the time. No one has been able to provide evidence to support the assertion that this is anything like a frequent occurrence. If someone can provide evidence of several specific speakers banned from speaking, I will change my mind on the issue. But they won't because such evidence does not exist.

But more to the point, student unions represent their members. You don't have a right to speak at a university any more than you have a right to go into a comprehensive school and give a talk. Freedom of speech does not include the freedom to hold talks on other people's property.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
So happy the government is actually planning to do something about this. If the faculties are too spineless to ensure that speakers can address students who want to listen then clearly someone else has to do something.

We need to careful. Allowing students who hold extreme views to invite extremists in to reinforce their ideology is very different from allowing extreme views to be challenged through robust debate.
Original post by ByEeek
We need to careful. Allowing students who hold extreme views to invite extremists in to reinforce their ideology is very different from allowing extreme views to be challenged through robust debate.

It's a total non-issue. The NUS bans 6 organisations - all of which have been listed by our government as either terrorist-linked groups or far-right hate groups.

Apart from that student unions very rarely ban anyone from speaking. Yet people on here and in the media are claiming it happens on a weekly basis without any evidence whatsoever. Can anyone name five speakers banned in 2017 by student unions?

This is a classic example of a politician looking to gain popularity by appealing to the 'political correctness gone mad' narrative the press love to push, on the back of virtually no evidence. It's Trump-like in nature.

That's before we even mention the fact that you don't have a right to hold a talk on someone else's property.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by DeBruyne18
Does everyone have the right to go and hold a talk in a publicly funded school? What about at the AGM of a publicly funded bank? How about a publicly funded nursery? A publicly funded hospital? Student unions are allowed to invite or uninvite speakers as they please. You don't have a right to hold a talk on somebody else's property.

In the instances that have concerned people, it has not been a case of someone demanding to speak at a university, having had no invite, and feeling they have the right to speak anywhere they please. The cases have been people who have been invited to events to speak and their invitations have been withdrawn due to the actions of other individuals who seek to censor them, usually because they simply disagree with their views.

If you've been invited to speak at a quasi-public body, an audience wishes to hear your views and your invitation is rescinded - I think such an act should be justified. If the invitation has been rescinded due to an attempt at censorship, then that is a restriction upon free speech in my view.

As to your second paragraph, the answer is political opportunism. The argument that because the Tories says there's a problem, there must be is a rather circular one. How many speakers have been banned by UK student unions this year? Can you list some examples?

It very rarely happens but again, why let facts get in the way?

It's not just the Tories who are concerned. It's clear that the concern exists across the political spectrum.

I am not sure why you are trying to suggest that just because something is not frequent that it is not a problem that should be addressed. It has happened enough times to warrant concerns.
There is a difference between a university banning a person or group, and a club/society not inviting someone. The latter is OK, the former should only be by exception and limited.

We should have the option to challenge the idiot brother of the Universities Minister and engage him in debate.
Original post by Iridocyclitis
In the instances that have concerned people, it has not been a case of someone demanding to speak at a university, having had no invite, and feeling they have the right to speak anywhere they please. The cases have been people who have been invited to events to speak and their invitations have been withdrawn due to the actions of other individuals who seek to censor them, usually because they simply disagree with their views.

If you've been invited to speak at a quasi-public body, an audience wishes to hear your views and your invitation is rescinded - I think such an act should be justified. If the invitation has been rescinded due to an attempt at censorship, then that is a restriction upon free speech in my view.

It's not just the Tories who are concerned. It's clear that the concern exists across the political spectrum.

I am not sure why you are trying to suggest that just because something is not frequent that it is not a problem that should be addressed. It has happened enough times to warrant concerns.

So despite claiming that it happens all the time, you are unable to provide examples of it happening in 2017?

Student Unions very rarely ban speakers. I know that doesn't fit in with the narrative you are trying to push but it's the truth.

The fact that there have been 'concerns' does not meant those concerns are well founded or based on fact.
(edited 6 years ago)
It's a total non-issue.

Apart from that student unions very rarely ban anyone from speaking. Yet people on here and in the media are claiming it happens on a weekly basis without any evidence whatsoever. Can anyone name five speakers banned in 2017 by student unions?

I presume that in order to get the required "evidence" you require, some form of survey would need to be conducted? It is therefore very fortuitous that someone has already done one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/02/14/90-percent-universities-restricting-free-speech-study-finds/

90% of universities have banned some form of free speech in the last year and speakers such as Germaine Greer, Eric Pickles and several UKIP MEPs were prevented from speaking. I was especially sad to see some Universities banning certain national papers and also preventing freedom of expression for fear of causing offence.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
I presume that in order to get the required "evidence" you require, some form of survey would need to be conducted? It is therefore very fortuitous that someone has already done one.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/02/14/90-percent-universities-restricting-free-speech-study-finds/

90% of universities have banned some form of free speech in the last year and speakers such as Germaine Greer, Eric Pickles and several UKIP MEPs were prevented from speaking. I was especially sad to see some Universities banning certain national papers and also preventing freedom of expression for fear of causing offence.

Greer wasn't banned. Where was Pickles banned from?

That article is a general rant about free speech and pc culture, it doesn't provide examples of speakers banned by student Unions.
Such as what? It just seems to list university policies against racist and sexist speakers. You don't have a right to hate speech.

Clearly scale is an important issue. Very rarely do unions ban speakers from organisations not listed by the government as a terrorist linked or far right hate group.

Yet judging by the media and this place, you'd think it happened all the time.

Yes you have repeatedly said that many times now, I understand very well that you think scale is important. I have myself said several times now that I think this particular issue is important due to its nature (suppression of free speech) rather than having to have happen weekly, monthly, annually, whatever before I personally care about it. I don't think running over it again is of any real benefit - I understand your point but think it misses the issue, you presumably have read my point and ignored it in favour of repeating your own many times.

All these universities that have statements regarding racism, fascism, sexism etc. are making up a whole host of vague standards that are being applied outside the law to create a synthetic limited version of the real world. University is supposed to be a placed of intellectual discourse not a place of intellectual coddling - a place where these views can be said and then challenged. I mean, as an example I personally consider Nigel Farage and Katie Hopkins to be proponents of hate speech, having (indirectly enough not to be prosecuted under the law) incited racial hatred. Most of the content of the Daily Mail is inciting hatred towards one group or another. A large proportion of it is also sexist. I think UKIP hold fascist views. I think all of the above could arguably be banned from speaking at events or in the case of the Daily Mail of being sold in shops on campus very legitimately under the rules of banning hateful things.

The problem is that the definition of what is hateful is in itself questionable, what seems clear to me may not seem clear to you and vice versa.

For instance you wouldn't want somebody to talk about supporting ISIS but should you also stop people from coming and talking about fighting ISIS? http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/university-college-london-union-reverses-decision-to-ban-macer-gifford-from-speaking-about-fighting-a6735856.html
Is 'Blurred Lines' a banger or in fact propagating sexism?
http://studentsunionucl.org/policy/up1303/motion-to-ban-blurred-lines-from-playing-in-uclu-spaces-and-at-uclu-events
Is it the sweet lovely Christian Union we're letting into the freshers fair, or a ringing endorsement of homophobia?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/10/10/oxford-college-bans-harmful-christian-union-freshers-fair/
Are we clapping down on elitism or are we destroying hundreds of years of historical tradition and recognition of achievement?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oxford-votes-to-ban-elite-gowns-at-debates-7vxrd959t
Should we stop listening to anybody who doesn't share the same point of view as we do?
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/no-platform-bristol-student-union-roger-scruton-nus-freedom-of-speech-philosopher-a7404646.html

Some of these went through, some overturned blah blah but the whole point is that what seems hateful to one person can seem like madness to another person.
Add to that the fact that student unions tend to be run by fairly fringe individuals who have less than average views and you end up in a situation where what sounds like a lovely idea that we ban all hateful things is completely unrealistic. I think half the meetings I ever attended at Uni were only quorate for about 5 minutes and then dissolved into crazy motions.

Then of course in the big horrible world outside University you can find these views in completely unchallenged settings in newspapers, on TV, on the internet and so on.
Original post by seaholme
Yes you have repeatedly said that many times now, I understand very well that you think scale is important. I have myself said several times now that I think this particular issue is important due to its nature (suppression of free speech) rather than having to have happen weekly, monthly, annually, whatever before I personally care about it. I don't think running over it again is of any real benefit - I understand your point but think it misses the issue, you presumably have read my point and ignored it in favour of repeating your own many times.

All these universities that have statements regarding racism, fascism, sexism etc. are making up a whole host of vague standards that are being applied outside the law to create a synthetic limited version of the real world. University is supposed to be a placed of intellectual discourse not a place of intellectual coddling - a place where these views can be said and then challenged. I mean, as an example I personally consider Nigel Farage and Katie Hopkins to be proponents of hate speech, having (indirectly enough not to be prosecuted under the law) incited racial hatred. Most of the content of the Daily Mail is inciting hatred towards one group or another. A large proportion of it is also sexist. I think UKIP hold fascist views. I think all of the above could arguably be banned from speaking at events or in the case of the Daily Mail of being sold in shops on campus very legitimately under the rules of banning hateful things.

The problem is that the definition of what is hateful is in itself questionable, what seems clear to me may not seem clear to you and vice versa.

For instance you wouldn't want somebody to talk about supporting ISIS but should you also stop people from coming and talking about fighting ISIS? http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/university-college-london-union-reverses-decision-to-ban-macer-gifford-from-speaking-about-fighting-a6735856.html
Is 'Blurred Lines' a banger or in fact propagating sexism?
http://studentsunionucl.org/policy/up1303/motion-to-ban-blurred-lines-from-playing-in-uclu-spaces-and-at-uclu-events
Is it the sweet lovely Christian Union we're letting into the freshers fair, or a ringing endorsement of homophobia?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/10/10/oxford-college-bans-harmful-christian-union-freshers-fair/
Are we clapping down on elitism or are we destroying hundreds of years of historical tradition and recognition of achievement?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/oxford-votes-to-ban-elite-gowns-at-debates-7vxrd959t
Should we stop listening to anybody who doesn't share the same point of view as we do?
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/no-platform-bristol-student-union-roger-scruton-nus-freedom-of-speech-philosopher-a7404646.html

Some of these went through, some overturned blah blah but the whole point is that what seems hateful to one person can seem like madness to another person.
Add to that the fact that student unions tend to be run by fairly fringe individuals who have less than average views and you end up in a situation where what sounds like a lovely idea that we ban all hateful things is completely unrealistic. I think half the meetings I ever attended at Uni were only quorate for about 5 minutes and then dissolved into crazy motions.

Then of course in the big horrible world outside University you can find these views in completely unchallenged settings in newspapers, on TV, on the internet and so on.

Universities are supposed to promote free speech AND prevent hate speech/racism/bigotry on campus. Clearly there is a grey area but it should be the union who decides who they allow to speak and who they do not. You don't have a right to speak on someone else's property. You just don't.

But this whole problem is massively, massively overexagerated by people keen to promote the idea that political correctness has gone mad. If a student union decides that they don't want Farage to speak at their premises because they believe he preaches hate, that's up to them. The idea that extremists will always be defeated by open debate is silly and idealist. It doesn't happen and very often giving a platform to extremists increases their support.

Yes university is meant to be a place where ideas are discussed. But it's not meant to be a place in which speakers who preach hate against certain groups of students or are openly racist towards them are allowed to hold talks. Do we really want Britain First holding talks at universities?

I also don't agree that universities are run by fringe individuals. Mine wasn't. Often officers are more of the centre-left types.
(edited 6 years ago)
So despite claiming that it happens all the time, you are unable to provide examples of it happening in 2017?

Student Unions very rarely ban speakers. I know that doesn't fit in with the narrative you are trying to push but it's the truth.

The fact that there have been 'concerns' does not meant those concerns are well founded or based on fact.

Fair dos. Seems you are right.

This article highlights the problem: http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/nine-10-uk-universities-free-speech-restrict-rankings-joseph-rowntree-cardiff-ediburgh-newcastle-a7577381.html

Just because something may not be very frequent (i.e. a speaker being banned every week) does not mean that it is not something that should concern people/be addressed.

See above - are you suggesting that because something is not frequent people should ignore it or not address it?

They are based on reported fact.
Universities are supposed to promote free speech AND prevent hate speech/racism/bigotry on campus.

Are they though? Surely their job is to invite the people of the day and intellectually evaluate slash destroy them through whatever means necessary. At no point has their job ever been anything other... they're about thought not propaganda. If something is right, it is Right.
(edited 6 years ago)
This article highlights the problem: http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/nine-10-uk-universities-free-speech-restrict-rankings-joseph-rowntree-cardiff-ediburgh-newcastle-a7577381.html

Just because something may not be very frequent (i.e. a speaker being banned every week) does not mean that it is not something that should concern people/be addressed.

See above - are you suggesting that because something is not frequent people should ignore it or not address it?

They are based on reported fact.

The article doesn't give examples of specific speakers who've been banned. It does what a lot of people seem to do and goes on about how there is a problem without providing any evidence that what they are saying is based on fact.

You were claiming before that unions banned speakers all the time and now your saying that the frequency doesn't matter.
The article doesn't give examples of specific speakers who've been banned. It does what a lot of people seem to do and goes on about how there is a problem without providing any evidence that what they are saying is based on fact.

So the article is just making all of that up?

You were claiming before that unions banned speakers all the time and now your saying that the frequency doesn't matter.

Quote me where I said student unions ban speakers "all the time". I know that it is probably not every week a speaker is banned, but that does not mean the concern, as well as the general culture surrounding free speech as discussed in that Independent article, is not sufficient to warrant some intervention, in my view.
So the article is just making all of that up?

Quote me where I said student unions ban speakers "all the time". I know that it is probably not every week a speaker is banned, but that does not mean the concern, as well as the general culture surrounding free speech as discussed in that Independent article, is not sufficient to warrant some intervention, in my view.

Please provide specific examples of speakers banned this year.
Please provide specific examples of speakers banned this year.

Feel free to use Google. I wouldn't mind if only one speaker was banned this year. 21 had been banned at the time of that Independent article and overall there were 129 bans in some form. You also have to look at banning speakers framed against this general culture of censorship within universities and student unions; it's not all about speakers - other things have been banned too.

I still don't understand the suggestion that just because something is infrequent means it should not be addressed, particularly if it is an on-going risk.
(edited 6 years ago)
Feel free to use Google. I wouldn't mind if only one speaker was banned this year. 21 had been banned at the time of that Independent article and overall there were 129 bans in some form. You also have to look at banning speakers framed against this general culture of censorship within universities and student unions; it's not all about speakers - other things have been banned too.

I still don't understand the suggestion that just because something is infrequent means it should not be addressed, particularly if it is an on-going risk.

No. You're making the point that speakers are being banned regularly and you are totally unable to provide examples of speakers banned in 2017.

You seem to be opposed to backing up your argument with actual evidence. Do you have evidence that 21 speakers were banned? Who are those speakers?

This rather proves my point nicely. People love to push this narrative that speakers are being banned regularly yet there is absolutely no evidence that speakers are being banned by unions. Now you're making the point and asking me to try and get the evidence to support your point because you can't find it.

Name 5 speakers banned by unions in 2017.
No. You're making the point that speakers are being banned regularly and you are totally unable to provide examples of speakers banned in 2017.

You are mis-quoting me. I have not said that speakers are banned regularly; I have accepted all along that it is not a frequent occurrence. But my view is that just because something is infrequent does not mean that it should not be addressed, particularly if there is an on-going risk. The banning of speakers, while seemingly infrequent, is also set against this general culture of censorship at universities/student unions where other things have been banned.

You seem to be opposed to backing up your argument with actual evidence. Do you have evidence that 21 speakers were banned? Who are those speakers?

I have used a credible news source - the Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/nine-10-uk-universities-free-speech-restrict-rankings-joseph-rowntree-cardiff-ediburgh-newcastle-a7577381.html) that has referred to an independent study.

This rather proves my point nicely. People love to push this narrative that speakers are being banned regularly yet there is absolutely no evidence that speakers are being banned by unions. Now you're making the point and asking me to try and get the evidence to support your point because you can't find it.

Name 5 speakers banned by unions in 2017.

You are attacking a straw man. I have not said that speakers are banned regularly.

I have provided evidence in the form of that Independent article which reflects the poor state of free speech at universities/student unions. In my view I have fulfilled my burden of proof - that article highlights why there is a valid concern about the state of free speech at universities/student unions. The fact that the government feels the need to set up a body to address this also highlights the problem. You have not provided evidence in response to challenge this. Please show me evidence that the Independent article is completely misinformed or that the government is wrong in setting up the body to address the problem of free speech at universities/student unions.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending