The Student Room Group

Going on my first date ever this Saturday, tips?

If you want background about me and the girl read here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5109622

Just in general what are some things I should and shouldn't do, some things that I should know. We are going to see a movie and then I am thinking of taking her to Starbucks or something after. (I already know to pay for everything) And my friends have told me to put my arm around her during the movie or something, but beyond that I don't know?

Scroll to see replies

I think panicking and being extremely nervous all the way up until the date is a good suggestion
Don't pay for her.
be yourself
Don’t be a pushover

Don’t catch feels

Remember women are trash
Just remember that you’re trash
Keep calm and continue whatever you've already done! You've got her to go on a date with you so she obviously finds you attractive and a potential partner. :h:
Reply 7
Original post by BlindingLight
Don't pay for her.

Really???
Original post by Canadaboy
Really???

100%
Reply 9
Original post by CTLevers
Keep calm and continue whatever you've already done! You've got her to go on a date with you so she obviously finds you attractive and a potential partner. :h:

Thanks! I'll try lol.

I hope she knows it's a date though... that would be weird if she doesn't think it is and I go to pay for her or put my arm around her. But like I am 95% sure she likes me back, so....
Original post by the bear
be yourself

but can you be yourself if you don't know how to be yourself with her not knowing her to be yourself
Original post by Ray_Shadows
but can you be yourself if you don't know how to be yourself with her not knowing her to be yourself

:hmmmm2:
Original post by Canadaboy
Thanks! I'll try lol.

I hope she knows it's a date though... that would be weird if she doesn't think it is and I go to pay for her or put my arm around her. But like I am 95% sure she likes me back, so....

Have you hung out just you two before? Don't under-estimate the girl's emotional intelligence, I'm sure she knows is definitely got romantic connotations to it.

How exactly did you ask her? Did you make it clear your intentions?
Reply 13
Original post by BlindingLight
100%

Why though?? I thought it was always common courtesy for the guy to pay, even my friends are making sure I'm gonna pay
Original post by the bear
:hmmmm2:

that's pretty much what i be thinking if i ever went on a first date
Reply 15
Original post by CTLevers
Have you hung out just you two before? Don't under-estimate the girl's emotional intelligence, I'm sure she knows is definitely got romantic connotations to it.

How exactly did you ask her? Did you make it clear your intentions?

No we've never hung out alone before, except for when our friends locked us in the basement together for 7 minutes. I'm not underestimating her, just never sure about these things.

I asked her if she was doing anything next Saturday and she said no and I was like you wanna go see a movie or something? if you want to see what happened in the days leading up to this read my post here

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5109622
Reply 16
Sounds good. Should be easyish if you fancy the pants off each other. I still think there's a tradition that the guy pays on 1st date particularly if he asked and unless she makes a point of paying her share. I would avoid the arm round shoulder move in the cinema as it is an awkward sort of environment. Try holding hands after coffee or goodbye kiss or even wait till date 2 to get physical. Good luck.
Reply 17
Don't overthink it, just enjoy yourself.
Reply 18
Original post by Zarek
Sounds good. Should be easyish if you fancy the pants off each other. I still think there's a tradition that the guy pays on 1st date particularly if he asked and unless she makes a point of paying her share. I would avoid the arm round shoulder move in the cinema as it is an awkward sort of environment. Try holding hands after coffee or goodbye kiss or even wait till date 2 to get physical. Good luck.

Yeah ok I thought there was too. Ok that's good to know, especially since I wasn't sure how to go about doing it. I suppose those ideas work, I could try holding hands as we walk to the coffee place maybe since it isn't too far. And yeah I like the goodbye kiss.

I would wait for date 2 to get physical but when we were at a party the other day she was pretty touchy with me (So she's comfortable with me) and we were dared to kiss each other and were gonna do it but were both to awkward and shy about it at a party.

Thanks!
Reply 19
Original post by UWS
Don't overthink it, just enjoy yourself.

Yeah I'll try! I just wanna make the most of it and not regret not doing something later ya know?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending