Are chin ups not as valid if you are light? Watch

Anonymous,
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Ok me and my friend both do chin ups, im female about 5ft and weigh 7 stone. She is 5ft 6 so heavier. I can manage 9 full ones but she says that its easier for me because im lighter and that my 9 chin ups are about equivilent to her doing 3. She said they are not an indication of strength but stamina. Is this true? Im not bothered lol but I thought that they improved power rather than stamina. :confused:
aaaaz
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Utter rubbish.

That's like saying "You should be able to run further because your legs are longer therefore you cover more distance with less effort" or some such rubbish.
muel86
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
prob less to do with weight more to do with arm length, shes got furthyer to pull herself!
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
(Original post by aaaaz)
Utter rubbish.

That's like saying "You should be able to run further because your legs are longer therefore you cover more distance with less effort" or some such rubbish.
I thought that was true to an extent:p: Ive heard that longer legs help you to run faster but it can't make that much difference.
Alive
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous,)
I thought that was true to an extent:p: Ive heard that longer legs help you to run faster but it can't make that much difference.
I would think this is true, at least to a point.

But your friend also (probably) has larger muscles, so you should expect her to be able to lift more physical weight (if you were say, bench pressing) but as an very loose estimate, a competition in chin ups might be a fair one (going all out to see who put's more effort in).

Of course, it isn't a competition. If you can do more than you did before, that's great.
rock_ten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous,)
Ok me and my friend both do chin ups, im female about 5ft and weigh 7 stone. She is 5ft 6 so heavier. I can manage 9 full ones but she says that its easier for me because im lighter and that my 9 chin ups are about equivilent to her doing 3. She said they are not an indication of strength but stamina. Is this true? Im not bothered lol but I thought that they improved power rather than stamina. :confused:
3 pullups isn't equivalent to 9.... 9 is equivalent to 9. If she's **** at pullups because she's too heavy then she's still **** about pullups. Actually 3 is very good for a girl, and 9 is unusual... how are you doing them?

It makes no more sense than saying that really you can do the same amount but its just that you're stronger, so considering her weakness the 3 is actually equivalent to 9.

And her calling it stamina rather than strength is arbitrary, people use different words to describe different points on the spectrum of 1rep---->marathon
Veil of Maya
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
She has a point to an extent but her ratios probably are not quite right.

Chin ups are considerably easier if you're light.
-pixie-
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah chin ups are easier if you're lighter. My boyf who is twice my weight can still do more than me though
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's all relative to how much muscle strength you have to be honest, you might weigh 16st but be bloody strong, therefore will be able to do lots of pull ups, or you could weigh 10st but have no strength therefore only managing a few.
And your friend is talking crap, lift some free weights to see who is the strongest.
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, she has a point. If she wants to measure that then she also needs to measure arm length to get the ROM difference accurate. If you want a measure of strength, take a powerlifting, Olympic or Crossfit total. The latter is probably the best because press is a better measure of strength than bench IMO and you probably don't know O-lifts.
AlphaTango
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Longer arms, further to pull up.

It's strength not stamina, though breathing is key during pull ups.

It's not neccesarily your weight that affects it, as its your ratio of strength to weight. Obviously if you have a low weight and high strength then it'll be really easy for you compared to her.

But you being lighter therefore easier is bull. Just means you have more muscle in your arms/back/chest in relation to your weight than her.
simone2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Chin ups are the ultimate exercise combining strength and body weight. Women who can do a chin up have bodies that most of us would die for. This is because you could not perform a chin up unless you had a strong upper body and low body fat levels.

Every pound of body fat you're carrying is extra weight that you'd have to lift so decreasing your body fat and strengthening your upper body is the key to doing a chin up and to looking good. Chin ups are an excellent exercise for a fat loss program and should be included in every woman's fitness routine.

http://www.f-heit.com/readTopic.do;j...ageNo=0#bottom
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
(Original post by rock_ten)
3 pullups isn't equivalent to 9.... 9 is equivalent to 9. If she's **** at pullups because she's too heavy then she's still **** about pullups. Actually 3 is very good for a girl, and 9 is unusual... how are you doing them?

It makes no more sense than saying that really you can do the same amount but its just that you're stronger, so considering her weakness the 3 is actually equivalent to 9.

And her calling it stamina rather than strength is arbitrary, people use different words to describe different points on the spectrum of 1rep---->marathon
Yea I suppose its a bit of both stamina and strength, she could probably lift heavier weights as shes a lot bigger build so obviously stronger. As for doing 9 being unusual Ive been practicing twice a week for a months before I started I could only do 3 but I told my friend how to improve and she said 'yeh but its easier for you etc' lol. I hang on the bar, lift chin above bar and then go back down then up again. Ive read thats the proper way to do them anyway:confused:
mart1203
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
First of all kudos on the chins, most girls can't even do 1!

Second the range of motion on yours won't be much different to your friends, and if shes heavier than you, she should have more muscle and be able to perform almost the same number. Howvere she doesn't so it's more than likely she's carrying some weight vests in the form of fat, rather than extra muscle!

Keep it up girl

Edit: also about the strength/stamina issue: if your max reps are 9, chins will be a strength/muscular hypertrophy builder, but if your max reps are 12+ they become muscular endurance. Start adding weight once you can perform a couple of sets of 8/10 to keep working your strength
PE Crazy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no because your just working in proportion to your body weight, what it means is just that you are stronger if you can do more.
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Therefore is it more impresive if a 300lb bodybuilder does 10 chins then a 160lb man doing 10 chins?
Keith Lemon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The 300lb guy, as he will un-doubtedly be much stronger as he has to lift twice the weight.
horrorboy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well the 160lb bloke would probably have less muscle and be weaker than the 300lb man. So they are both as impressive as each other.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Muscle power is proportional to its cross sectional area (square function). Weight is a function of volume (cube function). The two functions scale differently. Smaller body volumes have proportionally more powerful muscles, which is why ants can lift such large objects in relation to their body size (among other things).
burningnun
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There are more variables affecting muscle power than cross sectional volume.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (130)
18.21%
It's just nice to be back! (194)
27.17%
Not great so far... (256)
35.85%
I want to drop out! (134)
18.77%

Watched Threads