The Student Room Group

How to get 3 A*s at A Level in Psychology, Law and Sociology (self taught)

I am sitting as a private candidate in June so I have five months until the exams to learn the content and how to apply to exams. Any tips?
Are you 19 or over? Why didn't you choose an access course instead?
Original post by TheJohnM
Are you 19 or over? Why didn't you choose an access course instead?

I am 19. I didn’t do an access course because I already have A-Levels. I originally sat them in 2016 but didn’t do as well as expected. I am now sitting exams privately because I want to return to higher education, and I want to apply to top universities so I need outstanding grades, and I decided to take exams different subjects rather than re-take subjects I took the first time round because I am better at 100% exam based subjects - and I felt that it would be better to start fresh anyway especially since the A-Level systems have changed since the time I had sat my A-Levels.

Now it is just a matter of getting the grades. I have found an ICS A-Level online courses website online that costs £350 per subject. Do you think this will help in anyway? Or should I save spending an extra grand on the course and just learn the content from text books and internet sites such as s-cool and practice applying the knowledge with past papers, examiner reports and mark schemes?
Would you not just prefer to do a one year access course? If you're worried about not getting into top universities with this qualification I wouldn't be. My 5 choices were all Russell group and I've received an offer from them all.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest