Turn on thread page Beta

FP2: Roots of polynomial equations watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_5322.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  506.2 KB

I need some help with part (a) and part (b).

For part (a), I knew that the statement was true as it was stated many times in all of my textbooks, but I didn't know exactly how to prove it.

The only other way I can think of right now is to say something like "let a=2 (any number)", and then find the other quadratic factor when the polynomial is divided by (x-2), and show that when you expand it out it's equal to finding f(a).

For part (b), I'm just rather stuck altogether. I figured that I must have to find p and q by solving simultaneous equations, but I can't seem to be able to form them with the information given.

(As I was just writing this out, I noticed that I probably need to use the statement from part (a) in some way, the wording kind of gives it away...)

Anyway, here is my working out. I apologise for it being rather messy as I did it all whilst drunk on Christmas Eve.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I did actually use the fact that g(i) = 3, never mind.

ReputationRep:
    for part a)

let f(x) = ( x -a )( x - b )(x - c )....( x - n ) + R

let x = a...

f(a) = 0*-b*-c*....*-n + R

f(a) = R

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darkforest)

For part (a), I knew that the statement was true as it was stated many times in all of my textbooks, but I didn't know exactly how to prove it.

The only other way I can think of right now is to say something like "let a=2 (any number)", and then find the other quadratic factor when the polynomial is divided by (x-2), and show that when you expand it out it's equal to finding f(a).

For part (b), I'm just rather stuck altogether. I figured that I must have to find p and q by solving simultaneous equations, but I can't seem to be able to form them with the information given.

(As I was just writing this out, I noticed that I probably need to use the statement from part (a) in some way, the wording kind of gives it away...)

Anyway, here is my working out. I apologise for it being rather messy as I did it all whilst drunk on Christmas Eve.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For (a), let the remainder when f(x) is divided by a be r. This means that f(x)=(x-a)p(x)+r, where p(x) is some polynomial. From here, you should be able to show that f(a)=r.

For (b), use the fact that g(i)=3 as you said and then compare real and imaginary parts to find the values of p and q. From here, part (ii) should be able to be done.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    for bi you can also just plug in i and equate real/imaginary parts to find p/q

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    and for part two sub in i/2 and you should get that as a remainder

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, thanks for the help!

I think I have a viable solution here:

Name:  IMG_9773.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  504.5 KB

I probably should have read the question more carefully!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 26, 2017

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.