The Student Room Group

Summer schools and super curricular things to do whilst at a private school

I am currently at a private school, I used to attend a state school but I moved and most opportunities seem to be for state school students any ideas for what courses I could do? Last year I did a UCL summer school and since I was a state school student I was eligible but now I'm not. I hope to apply to Oxford and my GCSEs are below an average applicant due to mitigated circumstances which I hope to increase to the right standards but I do not have many super curricular activities relating to my subjects. I take Maths, Further Maths, History, English and hope to pursue Maths.

Any ideas are much appreciated xx
Original post by Khushboo24
I am currently at a private school, I used to attend a state school but I moved and most opportunities seem to be for state school students any ideas for what courses I could do? Last year I did a UCL summer school and since I was a state school student I was eligible but now I'm not. I hope to apply to Oxford and my GCSEs are below an average applicant due to mitigated circumstances which I hope to increase to the right standards but I do not have many super curricular activities relating to my subjects. I take Maths, Further Maths, History, English and hope to pursue Maths.

Tbh most summer schools ive seen have related to people that can afford to pay. Ask at the unis you are interested in and consider some work experience or work shadowing in an area of interest. Look to see if there are any maths related charities.

12/20
Reply 2
Original post by Khushboo24

You just need to do lots of maths. Summer schools and the like are irrelevant (unless they are free).

Practice MAT, maybe STEP I, etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest