The Student Room Group

CompSci and Maths at Cambridge??

Hi,
I am currently in my first year of A Levels, studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics.
I am really interested in Maths and CompSci. I was just wondering if Cambridge has a Joint course with Maths and CompSCi like Oxford do?

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by dev.da.smart.guy
Hi,
I am currently in my first year of A Levels, studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Economics.
I am really interested in Maths and CompSci. I was just wondering if Cambridge has a Joint course with Maths and CompSCi like Oxford do?

Thanks in advance

dont think so, maybe look at the natural sciences programme
Reply 2
Hi,

Thanks in advance

No. They have CompSci with Maths, which is 2 CS papers and 2 Maths papers in the 1st year.

https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science
Reply 3
Hi,

Thanks in advance

As Doonesbury has said, the CompSci with Maths option is the closest this to such a joint degree in Cambridge. But after the first year you continue with the CompSci undergraduate course.
Reply 4
Original post by RichE
As Doonesbury has said, the CompSci with Maths option is the closest this to such a joint degree in Cambridge. But after the first year you continue with the CompSci undergraduate course.

Or they could start with Maths Part IA & IB and then for Year 3 take up CS Part II... A few students do that each year.
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Or they could start with Maths Part IA & IB and then for Year 3 take up CS Part II... A few students do that each year.

Does that make for a balanced degree? Or is it just a sensible alternative (for the CS-inclined) if Maths Part II looks like it's going to be too much?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by RichE
Does that make for a balanced degree? Or is it just a sensible alternative (for the CS-inclined) if Maths Part II looks like it's going to be too much?

It's just the nature of the Tripos that people can change courses, and they could do so for a number of reasons. But only with the agreement of both course DoSes. About half a dozen go from Maths to CS.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by bruh2132
dont think so, maybe look at the natural sciences programme

I detest chemistry!!!!:smile::biggrin:
Reply 8

you don't have to mostly really I would look into Durham
Reply 9

Did you see my comment about starting on the Maths Tripos and then consider a change to CS after 2 years?

Its less likely you would be able to go the other way: CS then Maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes, i did, that isn't a bad idea, I will probably just apply for the Oxford course as I really; like maths. thank you for all your help.
As noted, not really. Cambridge doesn't really "do" joint courses like Oxford does so much - and in turn, Oxford doesn't "do" the "combined" courses in the style of NatSci/SPS. It doesn't really make sense for them to "predate" upon the others students in this regard. Although Cambridge did recently bring in History & Politics (and I think has had History & MML for a few years...although they did also separate their Arch & Anth course in turn...)

It somewhat depends on what you want to do - if you are primarily interested in CS, but want a stronger maths background (and will be mainly applying to CS courses otherwise), CS with Maths is a reasonable option - and they sometimes (often?) give an offer for the other CS options if you fail to meet up to the Maths part (as they have somewhat more stringent criteria for that given the nature of Cambridge Maths). Thus this hedges your bets but allows you to explore some extra maths in first year. If your primary interest is in Maths but you want to learn to program...do a maths degree because you'll probably pick up programming skills along the way anyway. If you are interested pimarily in theoretical computer science and areas of abstract maths that relate to it, then a joint course would be worth considering - such as at Oxford, Bath, Bristol etc (or Discrete Maths at Warwick, which covers both areas extensively, or Mathematical Computation at UCL, although that is slightly more on the applied/computation side of the CS spectrum, although the maths is just the algebra "half" of their maths course).
Original post by artful_lounger
As noted, not really. Cambridge doesn't really "do" joint courses like Oxford does so much - and in turn, Oxford doesn't "do" the "combined" courses in the style of NatSci/SPS. It doesn't really make sense for them to "predate" upon the others students in this regard. Although Cambridge did recently bring in History & Politics (and I think has had History & MML for a few years...although they did also separate their Arch & Anth course in turn...)

It somewhat depends on what you want to do - if you are primarily interested in CS, but want a stronger maths background (and will be mainly applying to CS courses otherwise), CS with Maths is a reasonable option - and they sometimes (often?) give an offer for the other CS options if you fail to meet up to the Maths part (as they have somewhat more stringent criteria for that given the nature of Cambridge Maths). Thus this hedges your bets but allows you to explore some extra maths in first year. If your primary interest is in Maths but you want to learn to program...do a maths degree because you'll probably pick up programming skills along the way anyway. If you are interested pimarily in theoretical computer science and areas of abstract maths that relate to it, then a joint course would be worth considering - such as at Oxford, Bath, Bristol etc (or Discrete Maths at Warwick, which covers both areas extensively, or Mathematical Computation at UCL, although that is slightly more on the applied/computation side of the CS spectrum, although the maths is just the algebra "half" of their maths course).

Brilllient... the Discrete Maths looks extremely interesting...
Thank you sooo much.

Quick Reply