Can you get fired for calling in sick? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm in a standard student retail position, been here for about 10 months (more than most of the people i work with) and I've never called in sick.. but I've got a shift in a couple of days and on new years when I have things I need to do and won't be in town...
I'm worried it looks suspicious me calling in sick on new years, so could they/would they fire me??
I'm never late, never missed a shift, been a pretty good employee too.. does that affect how they'll react? I know people call in sick all the time but this is on new years so I just don't know
Thanks
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
If your boss genuinely believes that you were ill, then you won't get in trouble. However, is there anyway you can take the time off or swap shifts with someone else?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
They can fire you for any reason within the first year. (for reasons that aren't discriminatory)
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
They can fire you for any reason within the first year. (for reasons that aren't discriminatory)
This is true. And they sometimes make an example of people who call out on holidays or everyone would just call sick when they didn't fancy a shift and no one would work holidays.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Should have booked it off in advance if you knew you couldn't work
username2965904
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
'Need to do". I doubt it, unless you are a carer for someone.

Yes you can be fired for absence from work.
FightToWin
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
While firing someone for calling in sick regularly would be an unfair dismissal (There was an article about something like this in a Wagamama's in Finchley) pulling a sickie is 100% a firable offence if you get caught out.

And believe me, if you call in sick for New Year's Day they will see through it like... idk.. glass. I'm too lazy to think of a better simile.

Anyways, why does whatever you need to do HAVE to be on New Year's Day?

Either shift swap with someone or leave it. Do NOT take the risk. A company I used to work for was unhappy with someone ringing in sick even though they were throwing up while on the phone to the boss. So I don't think they'd be any happier with you pulling a sickie.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Should have booked it off in advance if you knew you couldn't work
i tried but they don't allow you to book anything off in this period. Thanks to everyone else though for the advice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (275)
65.63%
No (144)
34.37%

Watched Threads