A_Ch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
The question I need help with is
Q/ Calculate the concentration of an iron(II) sulphate solution, given that 20 cm3 of the solution reacts completely with 23.5 cm3 of 0.02 mol l-1 potassium permanganate solution, in the presence of acid. (Hint – you must decide which ion will be oxidised, which will be reduced, and write the redox equation before tackling the calculation).
I am not sure how to create the balanced equation? Also, I'm not sure what is being oxidised and reduced
wombat746
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Some hints:

FeSO4 is oxidised to Fe2(SO4)3 and KMnO4 is reduced to Mn(2+).

Write out the respective oxidation and reduction equations, using electrons, protons and water molecules where necessary to balance. Then equate the two redox equations in terms of equal electrons, combine and cancel the electrons, water and protons to get the overall balanced equation.
A_Ch
Rep:
?
Thanks, but I am still unsure about how you got that answer.
chocochip_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Write out the half equations for each, then you can decide what’s being oxidised and what’s being reduced you can do this by thinking about what’s going to be a stronger oxidising agent KmnO4 or FeSO4, if you’re OCR A a level student you can just remember what’s the stronger oxidising agent as they tend to use the example quite a lot
chocochip_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You can then find out which half equation goes which way, balance the electrons, H+, H20’s and then bing bam boom you got yourself a balance equation
A_Ch
Rep:
?
Thanks, I think I've got it now.
A_Ch
Rep:
?
I have just overthought this, wouldn't Fe be oxidised to Fe2+ and MnO4 be reduced to Mn2+?
A_Ch
Rep:
?
Never mind, I've understood it now. Thanks for the help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (31)
28.97%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.35%
No I am happy with my choice (59)
55.14%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise