A_Ch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Q/ A mixture of magnesium bromide and magnesium sulfate is known to contain 3mol of magnesium and 4mol of bromide ions. How many moles of sulfate ions are present?
I am totally lost on how to do this question.
wombat746
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Weird question but here is what I think. We know that we have a mixture containing compounds whose chemical formulae are MgBr2 (Magnesium Bromide) and MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulphate).

We know that there are 3 mol of Mg present however these 3 moles would account for both compounds as both contain Mg. We however know that 4 mol of Br- is present. These 4 mol of Br- is only found in the MgBr2 that is present. As there is 4mol of Br-, there is therefore overall 2 mol of MgBr2. This can be imagined as Mg(2+) + 2Br(-) —> MgBr2.

So this accounts of 2mol of Mg being present in MgBr2 leaving 1 mol of Mg in MgSO4. The formation of MgSO4 can be written as Mg(2+) + SO4(2-) —-> MgSO4. Thus there is a 1:1 ratio of MgO4, meaning there would be 1 mol of SO4(2-) ions in the solution I believe.
A_Ch
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ok thanks!
chocochip_
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by wombat746)
Weird question but here is what I think. We know that we have a mixture containing compounds whose chemical formulae are MgBr2 (Magnesium Bromide) and MgSO4 (Magnesium Sulphate).

We know that there are 3 mol of Mg present however these 3 moles would account for both compounds as both contain Mg. We however know that 4 mol of Br- is present. These 4 mol of Br- is only found in the MgBr2 that is present. As there is 4mol of Br-, there is therefore overall 2 mol of MgBr2. This can be imagined as Mg(2+) + 2Br(-) —> MgBr2.

So this accounts of 2mol of Mg being present in MgBr2 leaving 1 mol of Mg in MgSO4. The formation of MgSO4 can be written as Mg(2+) + SO4(2-) —-> MgSO4. Thus there is a 1:1 ratio of MgO4, meaning there would be 1 mol of SO4(2-) ions in the solution I believe.
I got the same!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (644)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (814)
42.35%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.67%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.47%

Watched Threads