Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Does anybody have any recommendations for some light reading on Maths/Physics? Maybe on the history of Mathematics or a biography of a Mathematician, something like that. Similarly with Physics, but on something different to the generic "the interesting world of quantum mechanics" or "string theory: the answer to all of Physics problems". So preferably a book that doesn't have anything about Schroedingers cat in it. I recently read "The making of the Atomic bomb" which is a great read and exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Zhen Lin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmmmm. I quite liked the few books I've read about the history of major mathematical problems: Fermat's Last Theorem (by Simon Singh), Kepler's Conjecture (by George Szpiro), Poincaré's Prize (by George Szpiro), Four Colors Suffice (by Robin Wilson) and The Equation that Couldn't be Solved (by Mario Livio). They are all more biographical/historical than they are mathematical discussions of the proofs of the respective problems (Fermat's last theorem, Kepler's conjecture, the Poincaré conjecture, the four-colour theorem, and the Abel-Ruffini theorem / Galois theory).
Barny
Rep:
?
Are they interesting?:p:
Cexy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Godel Escher Bach!

Some people would argue that it's not "light reading" because it actually has some maths and computer science in it, rather than just being a book about maths. But I found it phenomenally easy to read - the author's style is laid back and funny, so you never feel like you're studying.
estel
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Heheh.
Brian Greene's An Elegant Universe.
Zhen Lin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The Elegant Universe is quite a lengthy book, but its redeeming quality is the copious footnotes in its appendices where some of the actual mathematical details are discussed. But, it's a string theory book. For a book about the Standard Model of particle physics, I quite liked The Theory of Almost Everything by Robert Oerter.
Barny
Rep:
?
(Original post by estel)
Heheh.
Brian Greene's An Elegant Universe.
I've read that book and that's exactly the kind of book I want to avoid.
thelostchild
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do try The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Mind

I loved it when I read it
Wangers
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Barny)
Does anybody have any recommendations for some light reading on Maths/Physics? Maybe on the history of Mathematics or a biography of a Mathematician, something like that. Similarly with Physics, but on something different to the generic "the interesting world of quantum mechanics" or "string theory: the answer to all of Physics problems". So preferably a book that doesn't have anything about Schroedingers cat in it. I recently read "The making of the Atomic bomb" which is a great read and exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for.
Fabric of the Cosmos - Greene.

Once you're midwayish into your undergrad degree, you might want to try Roger Penrose - The Road to Reality. It starts off deceptively with Pythagoras and moves onto complex numbers and then onto dimensional space etc.

I remember thinking - wtf; that seemingly irrelavent/very simplistic proof of pythag and actually be applied in space and dimensional physics as well; very interesting, but might fry your brain. I'm sad to say that it rapidly outstripped my maths ability.
Zhen Lin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
... he said he didn't like Elegant Universe. Fabric of the Cosmos is more of the same style.

I foolishly bought Road to Reality some months ago. It's so dense! But I guess that is to be expected from a book which aims to introduce so much...
Smedwed
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
http://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...glist/text.pdf

Split into helpful sections.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads