Starting at a new school for A-Levels

Watch
hlr2002
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

What are your opinions on moving to a new school to start your A Levels?

I'm in year 11 so currently doing GCSEs. I have applied to the sixth form of my current school and another school nearby.

When I was in primary and looking at secondary schools, it was a very hard decision between my current school and the other school I'm looking at. In the end I chose my current school because it is much closer to where I live and is all-girls. In hindsight, that was maybe not the best idea. I haven't enjoyed school since I've been in secondary, and honestly I've always wondered if it would have been the same if I'd gone to this other school.

But now I might have the option of moving schools but I'm not sure if it's the best idea. I would really like to be in a new place, with new people, new friends, new teachers etc, however I don't know if this would just add extra stress to starting A Levels. If I stayed in my current school, there wouldn't be the added stress of moving and there would be some new students but I'm not sure how much difference a few new faces might make.

I'd love to hear opinions from people who have decided either to stay or move schools - thank you all in advance 😊
purpleraingirl
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
i'm im year 11 myself but i think its always nice to get out of your comfort zone and have a change, honestly dont overthink the 'stress' of moving somewhere new, really a new evironment, new people, it will all be very refreshing and a great way to kickstart sixth form
good luck! x
Appleorpear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think its best to move sixth form in your position because you don't enjoy your current school but also because if you are too afraid to move you may be too afraid to move for university.
Muserock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I studied my A Levels not at the sixth form of my current school. It takes a bit to settle in to any new place. Even in your current school it will be different. Go to wherever you'll be happy.
nyxnko_
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hlr2002)
Hi,

What are your opinions on moving to a new school to start your A Levels?

I'm in year 11 so currently doing GCSEs. I have applied to the sixth form of my current school and another school nearby.

When I was in primary and looking at secondary schools, it was a very hard decision between my current school and the other school I'm looking at. In the end I chose my current school because it is much closer to where I live and is all-girls. In hindsight, that was maybe not the best idea. I haven't enjoyed school since I've been in secondary, and honestly I've always wondered if it would have been the same if I'd gone to this other school.

But now I might have the option of moving schools but I'm not sure if it's the best idea. I would really like to be in a new place, with new people, new friends, new teachers etc, however I don't know if this would just add extra stress to starting A Levels. If I stayed in my current school, there wouldn't be the added stress of moving and there would be some new students but I'm not sure how much difference a few new faces might make.

I'd love to hear opinions from people who have decided either to stay or move schools - thank you all in advance 😊
it might be worth moving to the new school if you're unhappy at your current school
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (280)
15.27%
Uncertainty around my education (287)
15.65%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (183)
9.98%
Isolating with family (129)
7.03%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (84)
4.58%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (153)
8.34%
Loneliness (181)
9.87%
Financial worries (75)
4.09%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (169)
9.21%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.2%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (161)
8.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise