The Student Room Group

Any point studying towards GDL with poor A-Level grades?

Looking for advice from people on the GDL who don't have good A-Level results!

I'm in my final year of uni and I've been thinking about doing the GDL. I keep deliberating whether it would be worthwhile as my A-Levels were pretty poor (CCC), although I managed to get into Royal Holloway where my offer was ABB. I've never thought they would come back to haunt me as I thought getting a 2:1 at uni should be enough to get me a good job, but now I'm really doubting myself!

I also think my work experience (for example, already worked as a legal assistant on my year abroad, as well as 2 other internships abroad) and my other graded achievements in performing arts could set me apart from the rest. But with such poor A-Levels, would I even get a look in at a large firm such as Slaughter and May??

Any advice from someone whose been in a similar position would be much appreciated!!
(edited 6 years ago)
You will not meet the A-Level requirements for many firms, although they have the discretion to accept you regardless. Some firms have no requirements at all.

Your best bet is to be so qualified by experience that they would be foolish to reject you, but I think you need to be a bit more realistic than Slaughter and May. There are many strong regional (and mid-sized London) commercial firms which will give you a good living and you will get to deal with highly complex cases, often against the big firms.
Original post by J-SP
Technically Slaughters don't have a minimum academic grade requirement for A-levels, but they stress the need for academic excellence and say you need a high 2.1 or first and three "strong" A-levels.

There will be other large firms who aren't so focused on academics like Slaughters are though, but as Notorious has said, to put yourself in the best position you need to ensure every other part of your application is strong.

Your work experience will be good, but will need to be continued. They will also consider your extra curricular activities, other non-legal work experience, and also your motivation for the career and the firm.

I have recruited trainees with grades similar to yours, but they were rare (can count them on my hands, out of 100s, possibly 1000+ trainees) and there was generally something exceptional about them that made me look past their A-levels.

See. I know stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending