I'm a Degree Apprentice - AMA Watch

squirrology
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Toy Soldiers)
It doesn't seem so bad as I thought as you aren't rushing to the airport early in the morning and coming back late at night. Though I personally would find it difficult not having any free time at all, especially when you are working in a different country! I tried to get as much as I can from my business travel experience by exploring the nearby town, museum and area I was working in.

Funny story about the Museum of Children though, at least it turned out to be somewhat an interesting experience!

Well done on completing all of that work - the increasing pressure does motivate you more to get it done. That's a very good strategy that you have about creating a timetable to balance your work and free-time. We're in the early stages of our degree so it's good to be have good habits now to stick to a routine.

I have a pretty good work/life balance at the moment since I now drive to work. I get back home at 16:45 now compared to 18:00 when I used to commute by train. However, I think I'm not using my available time as productive as I could be, so I will be creating a timetable today to see how much degree work + further study hours I should put in and if I have enough free time to maybe join a sports club, like I used to back at sixth form.

There's a lot more work I need to put into this new module as I am unfamiliar with networking, so I'm glad I have the time to read ahead on some of the topics.
Thank you! I'm REALLY hoping I pass the first year; I am struggling with the practical side of my networking module as we have to use a program called "Visible Virtual Machine", I must admit I am having doubts that I'll pass this specific segment - It's worth 25% of my final grade.

That's great to hear! You're so lucky to be getting home at that time !!!! If I pass my test, I highly doubt I'll drive into work when in the UK because getting into central London by train is already a nightmare, imagine getting into London in a car, congestion charges, traffic and parking - It will probably take me longer.

I'm also doing a module which covers networks "Introduction to Computer Architecture and Network Infrastructure" which is somewhat interesting. I would say the mathematical side of the module is quite difficult; we've been doing Binary to Hexadecimal Conversions, Octal to Binary etc.
squirrology
Rep:
?
(Original post by BTAnonymous)
i did limit you a bit there, lol.

Thanks for the thread, very helpful.
No problem, glad it's helping!
gareths
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by squirrology)
No problem, glad it's helping!
can u pm me so we can be friends - also watch this amazing vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DifnY4JC2Vk
gareths
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
do u prefer/use iphone or android
Toy Soldiers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! I'm REALLY hoping I pass the first year; I am struggling with the practical side of my networking module as we have to use a program called "Visible Virtual Machine", I must admit I am having doubts that I'll pass this specific segment - It's worth 25% of my final grade.

That's great to hear! You're so lucky to be getting home at that time !!!! If I pass my test, I highly doubt I'll drive into work when in the UK because getting into central London by train is already a nightmare, imagine getting into London in a car, congestion charges, traffic and parking - It will probably take me longer.

I'm also doing a module which covers networks "Introduction to Computer Architecture and Network Infrastructure" which is somewhat interesting. I would say the mathematical side of the module is quite difficult; we've been doing Binary to Hexadecimal Conversions, Octal to Binary etc.
My module is called "Data Communications and Network Security" so it's a little different. Odd though that we haven't had any practicals. We have been told about an application called Packet Tracer to play around with though. There's a bit of binary involved when calculating subnets and also there's hexadecimal when learning about IPv6.

Your module sounds a lot more technical aha.

The QA Centre in London takes me around 2 hours to get to each way, so I wouldn't want to journey into London as part of my standard commute. Glad there was an option to drive as I think I would never want to commute over an hour each way now - time's too important for that in my opinion.
squirrology
Rep:
?
Bumping the thread in case anyone has any questions, been on my degree apprenticeship for 8 months now, (almost a year!)
gareths
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
can we be friends
Shambles321
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bumping the thread in case anyone has any questions, been on my degree apprenticeship for 8 months now, (almost a year!)
Hi
Would you be able to tell me what company you are working for?
Zaynab.27
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,
I’m starting the Accenture degree apprenticeship this September! I hope you still use this site because I have a question!

I know when working on projects you may have to travel to another country but can you choose your own projects - say you want to be based in London for as long as possible. I don’t mind traveling but honestly I feel like I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on studying in a place I’m not familiar with?

Also, how often do you need to present in front of people. I’m not the best public speaker but I know I want to become better at it. Regardless, I want to know to what extent?

Thank you xx
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Zaynab.27)
Hey,
I’m starting the Accenture degree apprenticeship this September! I hope you still use this site because I have a question!

I know when working on projects you may have to travel to another country but can you choose your own projects - say you want to be based in London for as long as possible. I don’t mind traveling but honestly I feel like I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on studying in a place I’m not familiar with?

Also, how often do you need to present in front of people. I’m not the best public speaker but I know I want to become better at it. Regardless, I want to know to what extent?

Thank you xx
Hey, just tagging in squirrology in case this has been missed (but it's quite an old thread now).

From my experience, employers are really good at accommodating your wishes so if you had a particular interest in staying where you are instead of travelling, I'm sure you could discuss that with them. As for presenting, I imagine they'll try to promote this as much as possible (they do on my apprenticeship albeit not a degree one!) - and even if they don't I'd recommend taking every opportunity to present as it's a good environment to build your confidence and learn from those around you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%