Does Patriarchy still exist today? Watch

username3610674
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

This year I did my GCSE English Literature and studied An Inspector Calls and Macbeth which then got me to realise how patriarchy is still evident today- perhaps not everywhere but there are signs of it.

Let me know your opinion on this.

Thanks
CrazyPantha27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by randomuser5678)
Hi,

This year I did my GCSE English Literature and studied An Inspector Calls and Macbeth which then got me to realise how patriarchy is still evident today- perhaps not everywhere but there are signs of it.

Thanks

If you want to believe that for the rest of your life some shadowy nameless faceless figure Is going to hold you back and be responsible for some difficulties you may experience in life because you’re a girl. Then go ahead. How do you propose we destroy it?
Just my opinion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

Thanks
How is it evident?
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You live in a nation where the heads of the UK, Scottish and Northern Irish governments are all women, including the reigning monarch, so I don't think it's a particularly powerful patriarchy. In fact, the 'patriarchy' in most Western nations would appear to be an exaggerated first world problem at worst, if at all.

Saudi Arabia, on the other hand... Now there's a real patriarchy.
username3610674
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Dandaman1)
You live in a nation where the heads of the UK, Scottish and Northern Irish governments are all women, including the reigning monarch, so I don't think it's a particularly powerful patriarchy. In fact, the 'patriarchy' in most Western nations would appear to be an exaggerated first world problem at worst, if at all.

You've got a point

However, patriarchy is still evident in the UK where the males dominate and are head of the household.
Saudi Arabia thats another issue
Dheorl
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You've got a point

However, patriarchy is still evident in the UK where the males dominate and are head of the household.
"are the head of the household"

Yet women will win the majority of custody battles and arguably get more favourable divorce settlements, for what I gather these days will often control the household income, despite the man potentially still earning the majority of it, and judging by how most houses look, also have more say in the decoration and day to day running of the house... So how exactly is a man the head of the household?
TCA2b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

b-b-but muh wage gap
BlindingLight
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We live in a gynocentric society, so no.
username521617
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What decade do you live in? The 1950s?
#clueless
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you're basing your view of modern society on a Shakespearean epic produced c1600 (based on an obscure Scottish king whose myth has thus been *******ised), where the monarch reigned supreme and ordinary people were banned by statute from wearing purple; and a play which is egging on for over 100 years old, where just before its publication the monumental First World War happened, and not long thereafter the earth-shattering Second World War (the repercussions of which we are still facing), which to an extent ripped from the seams any Western institutionalised patriarchy, then you, sir, are deluded!
Hirsty97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LMAO what do you call a country with a female PM and monarch?

A patriarchy.
TCA2b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Hirsty97)
LMAO what do you call a country with a female PM and monarch?

A patriarchy.
And pretty much every devolved region being run by a female lol
Thrillanthropist
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

You've got a point

Not just Saudi Arabia, many countries in Africa and Asia are arguably patriarchal.

How do males dominate in the UK? I mean, it's not like we have a Queen and a Female PM or whatever. And what about single mothers? Do males dominate in their households??

The UK is not a patriarchy anymore, seriously
Sophi2x
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It depends on what level you look at and of course depends on the country.
Just having a female head of state does not entirely change a society. If you think about Thatcher, she was a woman PM, but she did not really change life for women, in fact, she mildly ignored the issue, while in some cases even rejecting the idea that young women should have a career. She was basically a woman surrounded by white men in suits.
I know in 2017 this has changed, we have more women in government and institutions, therefore it's not so much of a patriachy.
If you look at other developed governments, eg the US (not saying the US is on the level of K. of Saudi Arabia) then you have a stronger argument. If you look at countries such as Yemen, you have an even stronger argument.

~ Sophia
crocodile_ears
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think that in the UK how patriarchal society used to be still affects our culture and the decisions people make today. Like we still view femininity as less than masculinity, and often view women as objects where most of their 'value' is in how they look. In An Inspector Calls and Macbeth, a lot of the plot is driven by the fact that women aren't listened to, and I think that happens a lot today too.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads