Why should we strive to improve when we will never be the best/our best

Watch
lukerules1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
There is no such thing as perfection, so why keep working towards it? Why not just stop and be content with our lives? Why waste time getting better at a sport, making more money, getting good degrees etc?

n.b, I am against this premise. I want to improve, and be the best I can be. But I know I will never be the best I can be because there is always room for improvement. So why bother? I feel very unmotivated
dutchstudent123
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maybe because good grades lead to university leads to a good job and leads to loads of money so you can buy everything you want? This one is obvious I guess...

Or maybe because it feels rewarding? Because people are never satisfied with what they got?

Because people get jealous when someone is better than them so they try to improve?

Or maybe because they genuinely want to improve the world?

Just some thoughts...

Never settle, the sky's the limit!
lukerules1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
But if you are never satisfied with what you've got, ever, then you will just be caught in an endless vortex of improvement. Trying to get better and better and better and better, without actually taking time to enjoy life? Is it worth working your *** off endlessly for a reward that is never fulfilling or is it wiser to just chill and take life one day at a time?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (687)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (863)
42.51%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (389)
19.16%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (91)
4.48%

Watched Threads