The Student Room Group

Taking new A-Levels after a degree?

I was told to post here. I have a BA in History, which I got several years ago. For reasons that are unnecessary to get into I wish to do another set of A-Levels in order to pursue a STEM field, with aspiration to get another degree (Astrophysics, most likely, if that's of any importance to an answer) in the future. Is this possible? I've heard of people doing this with GCSEs but not A-Levels. If so, where could I learn more about this? As you can probably tell I'm hugely ignorant about how any of this works.

Thanks in advance.
Original post by DanTsites
I was told to post here. I have a BA in History, which I got several years ago. For reasons that are unnecessary to get into I wish to do another set of A-Levels in order to pursue a STEM field, with aspiration to get another degree (Astrophysics, most likely, if that's of any importance to an answer) in the future. Is this possible? I've heard of people doing this with GCSEs but not A-Levels. If so, where could I learn more about this? As you can probably tell I'm hugely ignorant about how any of this works.

Thanks in advance.

what is your career goal with the degree?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
what is your career goal with the degree?

What difference would that make to an answer to my question? At any rate, I plan to pursue a (probably secondary level) teaching career in science.
Reply 3

Thanks in advance.
If your ambition is to teach, you should check out the funding opportunities available for people interested in STEM subjects, as the main concern for you if you plan to study a second degree will be the ELQ rules - see this for example - as you might not get tuition fee loans, let alone any living expenses support. An alternative way in would be through the OU - I wouldn't bother with taking another lot of A levels as this would be time-consuming as well as expensive. As this would be a big change of horses for you, a uni will expect to see evidence of aptitude and recent study and relevant OU modules would provide both.

The advantage of the OU route is also that you can continue in employment while you study - you wouldn't necessarily have to do the whole degree this way, many unis will accept credit transfer but you need to research the options fully before committing yourself.
Reply 4
Original post by Minerva
If your ambition is to teach, you should check out the funding opportunities available for people interested in STEM subjects, as the main concern for you if you plan to study a second degree will be the ELQ rules - see this for example - as you might not get tuition fee loans, let alone any living expenses support. An alternative way in would be through the OU - I wouldn't bother with taking another lot of A levels as this would be time-consuming as well as expensive. As this would be a big change of horses for you, a uni will expect to see evidence of aptitude and recent study and relevant OU modules would provide both.

The advantage of the OU route is also that you can continue in employment while you study - you wouldn't necessarily have to do the whole degree this way, many unis will accept credit transfer but you need to research the options fully before committing yourself.

Thanks a ton, OU looks very appealing.
What difference would that make to an answer to my question? At any rate, I plan to pursue a (probably secondary level) teaching career in science.

I was going to suggest if you didn't want to go into something practical to skip a levels and go straight into the ou as Minerva has suggested.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
I was going to suggest if you didn't want to go into something practical to skip a levels and go straight into the ou as Minerva has suggested.
PRSOM :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending