The Student Room Group

Law a level

I am currently in year 11 and i've been thinking about the subjects that i plan on taking for my a levels next year. For my options i've picked maths and biology and im not sure about my 3rd subject
I'm thinking about doing law a level and i have a few questions that i would appreciate if someone answered
What is studying a level law like (what kind of things do you learn)
How difficult is it
Is there a lot of essay writing
If you struggle with writing essays will you find this subject hard

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Life_h
I am currently in year 11 and i've been thinking about the subjects that i plan on taking for my a levels next year. For my options i've picked maths and biology and im not sure about my 3rd subject
I'm thinking about doing law a level and i have a few questions that i would appreciate if someone answered
How difficult is it

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/law/as-and-a-level/law-7162/specification-at-a-glance

Specification at a glance. There are different options contract (agreements), English legal system (court processes) Criminal( Things involving crimes (state v the individual) Tort (Mostly negligence) Human Rights.

You shouldnt do it unless it interests you. Lot of reading and thinking. Can be quite dry.

How difficult is it
All depends whether you like it or not. Decent memory, being methodical and analytical helps.

It is a mix of essays and problem solving.

If you struggle with writing essays will you find this subject hard[

You can learn how to write essays pretty quickly. have a look at some exam papers and talk to your teacher plus other students.
Original post by Life_h
How difficult is it

Take History A-Level, not Law; it's considered one of the useless A-Levels
Reply 3
Original post by Kyber Ninja

Why do you consider a level law useless?
I know that a lot of people consider law useless if they plan on going on to study law at university as there are other subjects that are more helpful.
However I'm not planning on pursuing a career in law i'm just simply doing it out of interest.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/law/as-and-a-level/law-7162/specification-at-a-glance

Specification at a glance. There are different options contract (agreements), English legal system (court processes) Criminal( Things involving crimes (state v the individual) Tort (Mostly negligence) Human Rights.

You shouldnt do it unless it interests you. Lot of reading and thinking. Can be quite dry.

How difficult is it
All depends whether you like it or not. Decent memory, being methodical and analytical helps.

It is a mix of essays and problem solving.

If you struggle with writing essays will you find this subject hard[

You can learn how to write essays pretty quickly. have a look at some exam papers and talk to your teacher plus other students.

Thank you for the link
Original post by Life_h
I know that a lot of people consider law useless if they plan on going on to study law at university as there are other subjects that are more helpful.
However I'm not planning on pursuing a career in law i'm just simply doing it out of interest.

Law is fine, but not exceptional, for applying to Law, incidentally. Beyond that, most of the people I knew who did it considered it rather "dry" and less interesting than other subjects, but this isn't exactly a robust data set I'm drawing from...

What do you think you would like to do after A-levels? Why did you pick your other two subjects (Biology and Maths)? This may provide some better insight into what you should take as a third subject - be it law or otherwise.
Original post by Life_h

They consider it even more useless if they're not going to study law at university.

Do as you wish.
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Law is fine, but not exceptional, for applying to Law, incidentally. Beyond that, most of the people I knew who did it considered it rather "dry" and less interesting than other subjects, but this isn't exactly a robust data set I'm drawing from...

What do you think you would like to do after A-levels? Why did you pick your other two subjects (Biology and Maths)? This may provide some better insight into what you should take as a third subject - be it law or otherwise.

Tbh I'm not sure on what i want to do after a levels. I've picked both maths and biology because i enjoy them a lot.
Im not too sure on what my 3rd subjects is going to be so im just considering all options hence why I was asking about law, but I'll see I still have a lot of time to decide.
Original post by Life_h
Tbh I'm not sure on what i want to do after a levels. I've picked both maths and biology because i enjoy them a lot.
Im not too sure on what my 3rd subjects is going to be so im just considering all options hence why I was asking about law, but I'll see I still have a lot of time to decide.

If you enjoy maths and biology, I presume you generally enjoy science and may be considering pursuing some STEM subject as a degree if you continue to a degree programme. In this case, you may wish to consider chemistry, as it's necessary for a large number of bioscience degrees as the subject underpins all of modern biology.

Combined with Maths, it also opens many other options in the STEM realm (Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, so on and so forth). It's also suitable for a number of non STEM courses that don't require any specific subject prerequisites - Law, Economics (as you'll have Maths already), most social science and humanities courses except History, English and Modern Languages.

Something to consider. Law is fine, but it doesn't open any doors that aren't already available to you, so consider the opportunity cost of taking it.
Reply 9
Original post by artful_lounger
If you enjoy maths and biology, I presume you generally enjoy science and may be considering pursuing some STEM subject as a degree if you continue to a degree programme. In this case, you may wish to consider chemistry, as it's necessary for a large number of bioscience degrees as the subject underpins all of modern biology.

Combined with Maths, it also opens many other options in the STEM realm (Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Chemistry, so on and so forth). It's also suitable for a number of non STEM courses that don't require any specific subject prerequisites - Law, Economics (as you'll have Maths already), most social science and humanities courses except History, English and Modern Languages.

Something to consider. Law is fine, but it doesn't open any doors that aren't already available to you, so consider the opportunity cost of taking it.

I did consider doing chemistry at some point but just the thought of taking it along with maths and biology seems really difficult and duanting. I often hear people always talking about how much content there is and how difficult the work load is.
Chemistry is a subject that I'm thinking about doing.
Thank you for the help I appreciate it very much.

No it isnt it's perfectly fine.
Original post by Life_h
I did consider doing chemistry at some point but just the thought of taking it along with maths and biology seems really difficult and duanting. I often hear people always talking about how much content there is and how difficult the work load is.
Chemistry is a subject that I'm thinking about doing.
Thank you for the help I appreciate it very much.

Chemistry would be the one that unlocks even more courses, but if you intend to do Law, then go for the one you enjoy and can get the highest grade in. The combination you have chosen will not block you off from any unis.
Reply 12
Chemistry would be the one that unlocks even more courses, but if you intend to do Law, then go for the one you enjoy and can get the highest grade in. The combination you have chosen will not block you off from any unis.

Is chemistry essential to a biology degree?
I've noticed that some biology courses require chemistry a level.
How important is taking chemistry if you wish to do a biology degree

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-2160-W-UNI-LAW.PDF
Original post by Life_h
Is chemistry essential to a biology degree?
I've noticed that some biology courses require chemistry a level.
How important is taking chemistry if you wish to do a biology degree

Not essential for all courses, but cna be useful. It may make it easier/stop certain degrees being closed off to you.

The rule is always check the entrance requirements for the degrees at the unis you are interested in. That is the most important test.

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-study-biology
No it isnt it's perfectly fine.

Has your name always been tigger? I always read it as tiger?

Okay, soooo your argument is that she she should do law because it isn't useless, but neither useful?

The easy response to that, is that other subjects ARE useful, hence in relative terms, law is useless. Physics A-level would be more respected by law schools than A-Level law and that's not even related.
Original post by Life_h
How difficult is it

'problem solving' where you convey the answers of the problem in the form of an essay 😂
You'll need to be able to write a lot and quickly which is not easy when you have to learn cases too. I would say it is harder than history in this sense as history dates and event names can be used sparingly whereas law requires specific cases and Acts to situations where there is not a substitute. I recommend taking either as a written based A level is important, plenty of time to pravtice such skills
Okay, soooo your argument is that she she should do law because it isn't useless, but neither useful?

The easy response to that, is that other subjects ARE useful, hence in relative terms, law is useless. Physics A-level would be more respected by law schools than A-Level law and that's not even related.

No. I only posted that because the amount of people I see on here acting like A level law is the spawn of the devil when it's actually on par with subjects such as English Language is ridiculous.

Facilitating subjects such as physics and history would be more useful, yes. But I think as long as you're doing 2 ''solid'' subjects there's no issue with doing law at A level. Plus, it will give OP a small insight into what law is like and help them decide if that's what they really want to do in the future.
A level law is just seen as hmmm by unis, it's not respected but not looked down upon either like Art

Quick Reply

Latest