I've studied Chemistry at Uni AMA

Watch
Dominic104
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've studied Chemistry at Uni couple of years back. Ask me Anything regarding chemistry at uni and career prospects.
ITTIA
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Dominic104)
I've studied Chemistry at Uni couple of years back. Ask me Anything regarding chemistry at uni and career prospects.
What did you get in Chemistry A level to pursue it to degree level and what career paths are there after a degree in Chemistry
username3482002
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi. Which uni did you study chemistry at? Did you do the integrated masters/bachelors chemistry degree?
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why is a level chemistry so much harder than gcse chemistry?
username3482002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hannah00)
What parts of A Level chemistry are you struggling with atm? I'm finding chemistry to be the easiest a level out of the ones I'm doing. Biology A Level I find very difficult atm.
Dominic104
Rep:
?
For me I've got an A in A-level chemistry. During As I've got a solid C retook every single module (I believe 1, 2, 4, 5 ). Overall A-level Chemistry A, Physics B and Maths B.
i guess you just applied for a chemistry degree in uni really

Career paths well its actually wider than u might think from I-banking to Pharma (currently am) to commercial labs. Any jobs involve a bit of science you are mostly likely to get into
Dominic104
Rep:
?
(Original post by *TomTomSatNav*)
Hi. Which uni did you study chemistry at? Did you do the integrated masters/bachelors chemistry degree?
I went to University of Bath, Just did a simple BSc in Chemistry. At the time I sort of known what sort of career i wanted to be in so only BSc for me. Regarding integrated masters at the end you get a Mchem and not a MSc. Personally i would just go for a BSc and see where it would lead you in a couple years time than do a masters afterwards since you will know where you would like to specialized.
username3482002
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I went to University of Bath, Just did a simple BSc in Chemistry. At the time I sort of known what sort of career i wanted to be in so only BSc for me. Regarding integrated masters at the end you get a Mchem and not a MSc. Personally i would just go for a BSc and see where it would lead you in a couple years time than do a masters afterwards since you will know where you would like to specialized.
O ok. I was told that the Mchem was for people that want to do research. How was labs for u at Bath? What were the differences between uni and sixth form? Also, how did the uni exams differ to the A level exams?
Dominic104
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannah00)
That i dont know the answer to. I would believe that chemistry is all about concept and not remembering facts. You have to have a solid foundation before moving on. During Year 1 at uni whilst everyone was partying I was in my room drawing reactions mechanism (joy right) until i remember the simple concert and combining different reactions.
Dominic104
Rep:
?
O ok. I was told that the Mchem was for people that want to do research. How was labs for u at Bath? What were the differences between uni and sixth form? Also, how did the uni exams differ to the A level exams?
Mchem is not really for people who do research, i would believe it would be for people who wants a master straight out of the gate and dont have to worry about application for masters 3 years down the road.

Labs at Uni is a whole lot different to college, Right off the bat you have to know how to set up equipment e.g. re-flux. But labs are so much fun working with all sort of chemicals. The main difference is all about hands on experience. Year 1 and year 2 you would do labs for a whole day, once per weeks. Usually 2 experiment per day so time management is critical. Year 3 you would have a thing called end of year project where you would be doing labs for a minimum 2 days a week sometimes more depends on your supervisor.

Exam is very similar actually draw reaction mechanisms, do some calculations, bullet point answer. Its all about how you get to the right answer. So essay writing during exam is not really required.
hannah00
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What parts of A Level chemistry are you struggling with atm? I'm finding chemistry to be the easiest a level out of the ones I'm doing. Biology A Level I find very difficult atm.
Nothing in particular, I just do poorly in end of unit tests. hard to revise for questions that are new and not in revision guides

This time last year was getting 80% easily(gcse level)

Now struggling to get 60%
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (2)
4.08%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (7)
14.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (6)
12.24%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (5)
10.2%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (20)
40.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (9)
18.37%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise