da n
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can my son, who holds a British passport, but was born and currently lives overseas qualify for a student loan?
username3434964
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by da n)
Can my son, who holds a British passport, but was born and currently lives overseas qualify for a student loan?
You should post this in the student finance forum (no idea who to tag to move this though)
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by da n)
Hi da n,

To qualify for Higher Education support as a home student, they must meet the following standard residency requirements:

UK National

• Must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and
  • be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course

EU nationals and their family members have the right to reside in EU member states.

This means as a UK National you do not need to meet the UK residency criteria as long as you have been living in the EU (EEA) or Switzerland for at least 3 years and have been settled in the UK at some point in your life. You must be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the term of your course.

Depending on the circumstances the student may be eligible to apply for Student Support if they have been outside the EU/EEA on a temporary break. Students will be required to provide evidence of their temporary break regardless of the length of time they were temporary absent for.

Regards Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (266)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (205)
43.52%

Watched Threads