The Student Room Group

EPQ

Hi, I’m trying to choose an EPQ topic/question, but I’m unsure of how to properly word it, or if it’s even any good. I’m thinking of looking at how music has changed over the last 60 years, but I want to make that into a debate question, such as if music is becoming better/worse - i’m stuck on how to word it properly! Any ideas???
What about "social media: better or worse for music?" What I mean by this is think of the differences between music videos today and videos in the 80s; YouTube didn't even exist then! Just an idea though 😁 good luck
What about something like: had music technology taken away the fundamental features of music? Then talk about things like melody, harmony, instrumentation and write a debate as to whether those things still exist in pop/electronic music?
Or you could maybe do something about how music reflects the society it is in and talk about how culture has changed with music. Then discuss negatives and positives for changes.

Hope I helped :smile:
I don't know how you're going to establish some music as being better than other music. You can assess changes or influences on music, but not its quality.
Reply 4
Thank you - this is tons better than anything I thought of😂
Original post by wastedcuriosity
What about "social media: better or worse for music?" What I mean by this is think of the differences between music videos today and videos in the 80s; YouTube didn't even exist then! Just an idea though 😁 good luck
Reply 5
I really like this idea, a good one to debate, thank so much!!
Original post by beccalouisemary
What about something like: had music technology taken away the fundamental features of music? Then talk about things like melody, harmony, instrumentation and write a debate as to whether those things still exist in pop/electronic music?
Or you could maybe do something about how music reflects the society it is in and talk about how culture has changed with music. Then discuss negatives and positives for changes.

Reply 6
That was my concern, I was afraid my personal opinion would overpower the whole thing so I will have to do one of the topics mentioned.
Original post by Jasaron
I don't know how you're going to establish some music as being better than other music. You can assess changes or influences on music, but not its quality.
Original post by wastedcuriosity

Hello fellow ARMY :wink:

Original post by alexnorman
Hi, I’m trying to choose an EPQ topic/question, but I’m unsure of how to properly word it, or if it’s even any good. I’m thinking of looking at how music has changed over the last 60 years, but I want to make that into a debate question, such as if music is becoming better/worse - i’m stuck on how to word it properly! Any ideas???

The ideas given sound great but what I did for my EPQ was stuck with a topic and no title - my topic gradually changed and when I got a final one I got my title :smile: What I mean is that unless there's a requirement at your school or something, there's no need to choose a title straight away - it'll come to you over time.
Reply 8
That makes sense, I’m just not sure what specific topic to focus on at the moment and ‘title’ ideas make that seem easier!
Original post by mundosinfin
Hello fellow ARMY :wink:

The ideas given sound great but what I did for my EPQ was stuck with a topic and no title - my topic gradually changed and when I got a final one I got my title :smile: What I mean is that unless there's a requirement at your school or something, there's no need to choose a title straight away - it'll come to you over time.
That makes sense, I’m just not sure what specific topic to focus on at the moment and ‘title’ ideas make that seem easier!

Oh right, I see where you're coming from - maybe you could research on the development of music over time or the contrast between popular styles?

Hey there! I think your EPQ ideas sound fantastic :biggrin:! I did something slightly similar for my EPQ: it was on the relationship between the State and music in the USSR in the wake of the Russian Revolution, looking at how music changed in response to the expansion of the State through particular political changes. Broadly speaking, my essay debated the extent to which the State controlled music in this period.

Your ideas sound very interesting :biggrin:!

You might want to think about what type of music you're interested in looking at: is it specifically Western pop music you want to look into? Music from a particular country? Music in a particular style? You would need to specify this in your question so as to be clear what your focus is.

I think another poster noted that it is difficult to assess whether music is objectively 'better' or 'worse', so it might be worth looking at how it has developed in response to particular events/processes/movements? You could look at the influence of specific political/social/cultural trends and how they have affected the development of music? Off the top of my head for example, you could look at how music has developed in response to the changing role of women over the past fifty years (though you'll want to choose something that interests you more ofc :smile:).
Original post by beccalouisemary

Interesting idea! Just to note to the OP, it might be very difficult to define what these 'fundamental features' of music are: music is very much influenced by the time and culture in which it is produced and as such, it is difficult to establish 'universal' features. If your argument is based on the premise that there are 'fundamental features', it could be quite easily weakened.

Looking at how music reflects the society it was produced in could be very exciting though :biggrin:! In the 18th and 19th centuries for example, music arguably contributed to the growth of nationalism in European countries: it is worth noting that it was during this period that many national anthems were composed. If you're interested in this, a great book is Tim Blanning's 'The Triumph of Music: Composers, Musicians and their Audiences, 1700 to the Present' :smile:. If you like this topic, you could debate whether the growth of nationalism was due to musical developments, or whether musical developments occurred in response to the growth of nationalism, or whether the relationship between the two is more nuanced? This sort of template could work with different historical/social/cultural events/movements/processes so could be applied to more recent developments to work with the OP's interest in the past 60 years.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Thanks, a really interesting idea!!
Original post by BlueberryViolin
Hey there! I think your EPQ ideas sound fantastic :biggrin:! I did something slightly similar for my EPQ: it was on the relationship between the State and music in the USSR in the wake of the Russian Revolution, looking at how music changed in response to the expansion of the State through particular political changes. Broadly speaking, my essay debated the extent to which the State controlled music in this period.

Your ideas sound very interesting :biggrin:!

You might want to think about what type of music you're interested in looking at: is it specifically Western pop music you want to look into? Music from a particular country? Music in a particular style? You would need to specify this in your question so as to be clear what your focus is.

I think another poster noted that it is difficult to assess whether music is objectively 'better' or 'worse', so it might be worth looking at how it has developed in response to particular events/processes/movements? You could look at the influence of specific political/social/cultural trends and how they have affected the development of music? Off the top of my head for example, you could look at how music has developed in response to the changing role of women over the past fifty years (though you'll want to choose something that interests you more ofc :smile:).

Quick Reply

Latest