Do i choose Essex or Aberystwyth University

Watch this thread
hilhdsahakds
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have a big dilemma here - my two options are to study Computer Science in Aberystwyth University or University of Essex.I really want to know where the teaching is better,because they both have a lot of good feedback on specific topics,but unfortunately i can't find a lot about my course .My other two options are University of Greenwich and University of Portsmouth and i would really be pleased to receive information about some of them from people that have experienced the courses.
Antjohn
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Aber uni won the Good University Guide teaching Uni of the year - so must be pretty good!
Xanet
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Hey!
in general and imo ...
Essex is a lot higher in league tables than Aber and has a massive computer science course, i know as 8 of my flatmates are doing it haha. I have a few friends at Aber and they love it there but depends if you want to be in middle of nowhere Wales, although its very pretty there it might be a hassle whilst Essex is in colchester hour train from london. Colchester might not be as pretty as Wales but it functions as a town. Essex is a campus uni, so itts almost a mini town of its own and it feels very close knit if youre into that. Essex is top 10 in country for certain subjects so I think by association it's probably more respected than the other 3 you mentioned so if you want to do masters etc it might be easier to get into a better uni later on. I would really look into modules and read what you'll be doing year 1/2/3 and pick which interests you most, I think a lot of people get into computer science and are shocker they need to learn coding languages like python etc so I would deffo read module descriptions they should all be on their websites so you know exactly what youre going to be doing/prepare.
hilhdsahakds
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Xanet)
Hey!
in general and imo ...
Essex is a lot higher in league tables than Aber and has a massive computer science course, i know as 8 of my flatmates are doing it haha. I have a few friends at Aber and they love it there but depends if you want to be in middle of nowhere Wales, although its very pretty there it might be a hassle whilst Essex is in colchester hour train from london. Colchester might not be as pretty as Wales but it functions as a town. Essex is a campus uni, so itts almost a mini town of its own and it feels very close knit if youre into that. Essex is top 10 in country for certain subjects so I think by association it's probably more respected than the other 3 you mentioned so if you want to do masters etc it might be easier to get into a better uni later on. I would really look into modules and read what you'll be doing year 1/2/3 and pick which interests you most, I think a lot of people get into computer science and are shocker they need to learn coding languages like python etc so I would deffo read module descriptions they should all be on their websites so you know exactly what youre going to be doing/prepare.
You don't know how much you've helped me right now! I've seen so far not a lot of positive feedback about the computer science course in Essex so i highly value your opinion and the statement that your friends are content with it too! I really liked the university and it's also close to people i know,Aberystwyth is also a valuable university to me,but it's ,yes, not so common in the country or so i've seen. Have a nice life,you've helped alot yay.I know it's none of my business ,but are you studying in UK or did you study there?Idk, it just sounds like you know your stuff haha
Aberystwyth University
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by isdidiokay)
I have a big dilemma here - my two options are to study Computer Science in Aberystwyth University or University of Essex.I really want to know where the teaching is better,because they both have a lot of good feedback on specific topics,but unfortunately i can't find a lot about my course .My other two options are University of Greenwich and University of Portsmouth and i would really be pleased to receive information about some of them from people that have experienced the courses.
HiImage!

Deciding which university to go to can be a very hard decision and I can easily see why you find yourself in a dilemma Image– I was in your exact position only a few years back!

Is it the G400 Computer Science course you're thinking of studying, if you were to come to AberystwythImage?

Aberystwyth University was recently named University of the year for Teaching Quality by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018 (https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/news/archi...206783-en.html). If you were to choose Aberystwyth, you will inhabit a University of outstanding teaching quality. Also, Aberystwyth University has some of the most satisfied final-year students in the UK, with the University scoring an overall 91% score for student satisfaction in the most recent National Student Survey (https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/why-aber/f.../satisfaction/). More specifically, our G400 Computer Science course received an overall student satisfaction score of 92% in the 2017 NSS. All of our 2017 NSS figures can be found by following this link https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/why-aber/f.../satisfaction/

New figures released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) showed that 95% of our graduates from the department of Computer Science entered work at a professional level, which is 15% more than Computer Science graduates nationally (https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/why-aber/f...employability/). As this shows, a Computer Science degree from Aberystwyth University is highly respected by professional employers. Image

Image This might be a lot of information and figures to take in from one single TSR post (sorry!) so to hear directly from our students about their experience studying Computer Science at Aberystwyth University, you should check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gagX433A2v8.

On the Department’s website there is also student profiles, so you can have an inside scoop of what it’s like studying in the Department of Computer Science at Aberystwyth: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/cs/study-w...dent-profiles/

To learn more about the Department have a look at this video where Wayne Aubrey, a lecturer in Computer Science, guides you through some of the course modules, gives an idea of how the course is structured, and some projects that you can get involved with outside the lecture room: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1gnsZYTnY8

If you need any more information on different courses offered within the department, or modules available, have a look on the Department of Computer Science website: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/cs/

Your university experience expands way further than the lecture theatre, so if you have any questions about student life here at Aberystwyth, get in touch! I’ve lived here for over three years by now, so I can try to the best of my abilities to answer any questions you may have! Image

Lleucu Image
Drnajjar
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Essex has a very toxic environment don't go there, I have a bad experience in it.
Leonarda__Essex
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Drnajjar)
Essex has a very toxic environment don't go there, I have a bad experience in it.
Hi Drnajjar,

I am sad to hear that your experience at Essex has not been the best. As a current student here that really enjoys University of Essex and everything it has to offer I would like to share some of my advice. If you are surrounded by people whose company you don't enjoy maybe try joining societies or sports clubs where you can meet new people and make friends. Uni has many events taking place on weekly basis and I am sure you will find something that you will enjoy - https://www.essexstudent.com/whatson/.

Leonarda
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (17)
36.96%
The paper was reasonable (18)
39.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (9)
19.57%
It was TERRIBLE (2)
4.35%

Watched Threads