The Student Room Group

Anyone know any ways to study for science exams

Does anyone know any ways to study for a science exam. I need a way to remember facts as well as diagrams. can someone tell me the best way to do this. I need a way that will help me memorise a lot of facts. And reading over them won’t help. I tried this for my first exam and got a D.
Original post by Student1237
Does anyone know any ways to study for a science exam. I need a way to remember facts as well as diagrams. can someone tell me the best way to do this. I need a way that will help me memorise a lot of facts. And reading over them won’t help. I tried this for my first exam and got a D.

There is no best way.
There is however, the most effective way depending on how you learn. Which you obviously haven't found yet.
May I suggest trying:

Rewriting your notes - concise so they are just the bare essentials you must know/keep forgetting and are important
Flashcards - make them, test yourself with friends/family and then any you keep forgetting keep going over
Quizlet/Memrise/Anki - literally just an online way of doing flashcards. You type your stuff up and do the same as above.
Mindmaps - Recommend this if you like to be more artsy/visual in your learning. Use lots of color and lots of paper - can go A3 or just use lots of smaller A4 mindmaps and join them together. Then put them around your room to learn them.
Reply 2
Original post by Student1237

Depends. People learn in different ways. But one way that helps EVERYBODY get better grades are doing past papers. Knowing your exam board inside out allows you to have educated guesses at what marking points the exam paper rewards you for.
Reply 3
Do you have a list of all mandatory info? I know the SQA have them for Scottish science Qualifications. They call them ‘course support notes’ and they are a lifesaver because they only tell you exactly what you need to know.
If not, pick up some coloured flashcards, either:

1) make summary cards - you will find yourself only writing important info for each topic as you only have a small card to fit it all on. Highlight definitions and examples in different colours - or any other category. It helps to imagine you are making a cheatsheet for the exam. Look over these cards before you go in.
2) make definition cards - for a lot of definitions write the word on one side and definition on the other. When working through them and questioning yourself, you want to make two piles: one of definitions you get wrong and one of definitions you get write. When you finish the pack, pick up the pile you got wrong and repeat the process. Hopefully more cards will end up in the correct pile. Just repeat until you get them all correct.
3) make question cards - write question and answer, and use the same technique as for definition cards - a correct and incorrect pile, repeating the incorrect ones.

PATPAPER QUESTIONS - get an idea of the questions that come up again and again.
When marking, grab an extra sheet of paper and write the correct answer for any definition or explanation you got wrong. This will effectively give you a page of things you don’t know yet or need to go over.
Reply 4
Free science videos and chemrevise which have all note for chemistry

Quick Reply

Latest